• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

combat service support getting wings?

PteAJL

Inactive
Reaction score
I know basic para is mostly combat arms, but what's the likely hood of someone from CSS getting on a jump course?

Im currently wrapping up BMQ-L/SQ and I most likely will be doing a unit transfer to a combat engineer unit, but even then are the chances still slim?

I'm assuming your looking at 32 CER? If so I can tell you your chances are close to nil.  Thats not to say that at some point you may have the opportunity. After 8 years I have not seen anyone from the unit go on a jump course and with fiscal restraint it is even more unlikely any time soon.

From what i've heard with the budget cuts came new rules that unless your in a jump company, a SAR tech, or with CANSOFCOM your chances of getting on Para are next to nil

hm, well that sucks for me....

chances any higher if I transferred to an Inf. unit?
infantry isn't really my thing though.
I would assume there's no going on external courses until you're finished with trade qualification training?

Reserve CSS getting on a basic para crse....no chance...at all...ever.

Well I'm not sure about the PRes quota's on Basic Para courses, but it is not that hard to get on a jump course as CSS in the RegF.  Just last fall CFAWC along with 3VP ran a Jump Course in Edmonton and CSS at both Combat units and 1 Svc Bn were given slots to fill. Of course there is a selection process as it is a physically demanding course.  Now getting jumps after the course as a non-maroon beret is another isssue...

Jon

PteAJL said:
hm, well that sucks for me....
Think of it this way; why should you get the course? Do you have a job requirement to be B Para qualified? Will this course make/break your career?

At this point, you should be more focused on learning your job/trade, not looking at courses that won't make you a better Veh Tech(or Sapper if you go that way). Once trade qualified, you will still be waiting around for a chance that may or may not come - plus I'm sure others will be wanting the limited number of spots your unit may or may not get as well.

PteAJL said:
chances any higher if I transferred to an Inf. unit?
infantry isn't really my thing though.
I would assume there's no going on external courses until you're finished with trade qualification training?

Reservists in the QoR have a higher chance of getting onto B Para since they(the unit) have a jump tasking. The other 3 Infantry units in Toronto(R Regt C, Tor Scots, 48th) don't have a jump tasking, so the chances of getting a B Para with them probably isn't much better then the other units in the brigade(except for QoR of course). If you don't want to be Infantry, don't go Infantry simply just to improve your odds of getting a jump course. 

Yes, one of the requirements for a NCM to attend B Para is to be QL3/DP1 qualified.

Old EO Tech said:
Well I'm not sure about the PRes quota's on Basic Para courses, but it is not that hard to get on a jump course as CSS in the RegF. 
Just to add on this,  it isn't easy or a guarantee you will get a chance for B Para(even as a Combat Arms soldier). Outside of the units with a Airborne tasking/and those with a job requirement, it comes down to right place/right time. Some may get lucky and get the course in their first couple years in, others have waited 10+ years and others didn't get the chance.

Jammer said:
Basic para IN Edmonton...?

Yes last year two Basic Para course serials were exported to 3 PPCLI from the jump school in Trenton.

Jammer said:
Reserve CSS getting on a basic para crse....no chance...at all...ever.

I personally know of one (1) CSS soldier from a reserve SvcBn getting his B Para and was top candidate for his course. I guess that throws your "no chance... at all.. ever." out the window.

Well goody for you. I can assure you with a considerable amount of authority that it is very very few and far between. Most candidates now will have to have a specific requirement for this trg. Not just to have pretty wings on their uniform.

Jammer said:
Well goody for you. I can assure you with a considerable amount of authority that it is very very few and far between. Most candidates now will have to have a specific requirement for this trg. Not just to have pretty wings on their uniform.

Which is fine, assure away, I was merely addressing your point of "never".

In this case and for the foreseeable future....and to address this young lads question. Basic Para crses will be restricted to filling hard jump positions.

-Skeletor- said:
Think of it this way; why should you get the course? Do you have a job requirement to be B Para qualified? Will this course make/break your career?

At this point, you should be more focused on learning your job/trade, not looking at courses that won't make you a better Veh Tech(or Sapper if you go that way). Once trade qualified, you will still be waiting around for a chance that may or may not come - plus I'm sure others will be wanting the limited number of spots your unit may or may not get as well.

Reservists in the QoR have a higher chance of getting onto B Para since they(the unit) have a jump tasking. The other 3 Infantry units in Toronto(R Regt C, Tor Scots, 48th) don't have a jump tasking, so the chances of getting a B Para with them probably isn't much better then the other units in the brigade(except for QoR of course). If you don't want to be Infantry, don't go Infantry simply just to improve your odds of getting a jump course. 

Yes, one of the requirements for a NCM to attend B Para is to be QL3/DP1 qualified.
Just to add on this,  it isn't easy or a guarantee you will get a chance for B Para(even as a Combat Arms soldier). Outside of the units with a Airborne tasking/and those with a job requirement, it comes down to right place/right time. Some may get lucky and get the course in their first couple years in, others have waited 10+ years and others didn't get the chance.

The 48th have had probably a disproportionate amount of jumpers qualified over the years, and still get the chance to jump....being in the same building as the QOR, kinda helps.

And as an aside, for anyone who knows there history, the jump school used to be located in Edmonton.

Jammer said:
In this case and for the foreseeable future....and to address this young lads question. Basic Para crses will be restricted to filling hard jump positions.

I can assure you, you are 100% wrong with your assertion.  If a course is being run who is to say that the unit with the hard jump position will be able to fill the course position due to, taskings, exercises, lack of interest, etc...  The Reg Force runs tonnes of jump courses that aren't filled with jumpers occupying hard jump positions.  Even when jump courses are run I haven't seen one in the past that has been completely filled by "hard jumping" positions due to the aforementioned challenges above.

If you are CSS, yes it will be harder to get a jump course, considerably harder, but not impossible as you seem to think.

Jammer said:

To echo Drew, you are 100% wrong.  I have been directly involved in the planning or conduct of recent courses and spots are allocated like any other course.  Commanders know their higher's intent and ensure the para coys have their seats, but other then that, it's common to see reservists, CSS guys, etc, etc on the course.

Back