• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Hospital (ABC and Global) Premiere June 21st

HavokFour

Inactive
Reaction score
Just saw the preview on TV (link below), looks interesting. They even remembered us Canadians! :D

http://abc.go.com/watch/clip/combat-hospital/FK_COM/PL55126747/VD55127073/welcome-to-combat-hospital/promos?cid=abccomsearch_results

Many Canadians have provided artistic, costume and storyline assistance.

This is a Global/BBC co production. I wondered why the Cdn flag was so predominate on the ABC promo last night. Note that the program will be titled Combat Hospital, not The Hot Zone.

Two media releases posted: http://www.tv-eh.com/2011/03/15/the-hot-zone-previously-known-as-combat-hospital-begins-production/

15 Mar 11  The Hot Zone (previously known as Combat Hospital) begins production
Posted by Diane in Uncategorized

GLOBAL’S ORIGINAL DRAMA SERIES THE HOT ZONE BEGINS PRODUCTION

International Ensemble Cast Includes Elias Koteas (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Michelle Borth (Hawaii Five-0), Luke Mably (The Gates), Deborah Kara Unger (The Hurricane), Terry Chen (Sanctuary) and Arnold Pinnock (The Listener)

New Medical Drama to Premiere on Global and ABC this Summer

Shaw Media announced that production on Global Television’s gritty, new, medical drama The Hot Zone (working title, formerly known as Combat Hospital) has begun. Commissioned by Global’s original content team and recently picked up by ABC, the 13 x 1 hour-episode series will be shot in Toronto until July 2011. Broadcast details will be revealed at a later date.

The Hot Zone is a fictional medical procedural set in 2006 at the only military hospital providing advanced surgical care in all of Southern Afghanistan. The series charts the frantic lives of the hospital’s resident doctors and nurses from Canada, America, the U.K. and other allied countries. This highly-charged series follows the characters as they navigate their way through the relentless life-and-death battles on the operating table, and the never-ending conflicts that arise from working in a war zone military hospital.

The Hot Zone features a diverse ensemble cast including: Elias Koteas (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) as Colonel Marks; Michelle Borth (Hawaii Five-0) as Canadian surgeon Dr. Rebecca Gordon; Luke Mably (The Gates) as neurosurgeon Dr. Simon Hill; Deborah Kara Unger (The Hurricane) as Australian army psychiatrist Major Ada Pedersen; Terry Chen (Sanctuary) as trauma team leader Captain Bobby Trang; and Arnold Pinnock (The Listener) as Commander Will Royal, Chief of Nursing.

The series is being shot on an expansive 17,187-square metre (185,000 sq. ft) indoor and outdoor set recently constructed in Toronto. It is one of the largest standing sets ever built for a Canadian original production and is modelled after the real Canadian-lead NATO Role 3 Hospital at Kandahar Airfield. The set is a meticulous re-creation of a portion of the hospital compound and the vast Kandahar Airfield, including the helicopter landing zone, boardwalk area and barracks, which housed over 15,000 military and civilian personnel.

The Hot Zone is a production from Canada’s Sienna Films and the U.K.’s Artists Studio. Academy Award®-nominated Daniel Petrie Jr. (Beverly Hills Cop) is the executive producer and showrunner. Executive producers are Jennifer Kawaja and Julia Sereny for Sienna Films (The Cry of the Owl, Diamonds, How She Move); Gub Neal, Justin Thomson-Glover and Patrick Irwin for U.K.-based Artists Studio (The Last Enemy); as well as Simon Vaughan of Lookout Point. The Hot Zone was created by Jinder Oujla-Chalmers (Ralph Klein – No Ordinary Man) and Douglas Steinberg (Boston Public).

GLOBAL AND ABC EXTEND WINNING PARTNERSHIP WITH ORIGINAL SERIES, COMBAT HOSPITAL

Powerful and Poignant Medical Drama Set to Begin Airing in Simulcast Summer 2011

Global Television announced today that its latest original drama series Combat Hospital has been picked up by ABC. The 13 episode series, the second Global series to be picked up by the US network, will air in simulcast with ABC this summer (airdates TBC).

Set in a hospital inspired by the Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit (MMU) at Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan, Combat Hospital charts the frantic lives of the hospital’s resident doctors and nurses from Canada, America, the UK and other allied countries. This candid, entertaining and sometimes brutal series follows Canadian trauma surgeon Rebecca Kincaid as she experiences relentless life and death battles on the surgeon’s table that transcend politically-charged stereotypes and is confronted with making the tough decisions that come with the realities of frontline medicine

Combat Hospital is a joint production of Canada’s Sienna Films and the UK’s Artists Studio with Carrie Stein at 3 Arts Entertainment and Simon Vaughan at Lookout Point heading up international sales. Executive Producers are Jennifer Kawaja and Julia Sereny for Sienna Films (The Cry of the Owl—with BBC Films, MACT Productions, Diamonds—CBC/ABC, with Buffalo Gal Pictures, Alchemy Television and Philo Films, How She Move—Paramount Vantage/MTV Films/Mongrel Media), Gub Neal, Justin Thompson-Glover and Patrick Irwin for Artists Studio; Executive Producer/ Showrunner Dan Petrie Jr. will head up the writing room on the show originally created by Jinder Chalmers and Douglas Steinberg.

I wonder if they'll include the court martial for when they find out she's preggers and didn't tell anyone and still deployed?  Can't really make an excuse seeing as she is a doc...

AmmoTech90 said:
I wonder if they'll include the court martial for when they find out she's preggers and didn't tell anyone and still deployed?  Can't really make an excuse seeing as she is a doc...

Happened with a doc on my tour (no court martial though).  She may not have known she was pregnant when she deployed but she still managed to stay in theatre long enough to get the medal.  ::)

As long as it's not as bad as this series was:

http://www.zostv.com/

After seeing the second preview all I want is a 3 second cameo by Samuel L Jackson yelling
"I've had it with these mother#!@#%* snakes in this mother@)$(#@! hospital!"

If there isn't sexual tension amongst the cast the US audience won't watch it.  There have been many uniformed personnel who have provided advice but the scripts they were considering were not always deemed realistic by those in uniform.  Then again, working in a plywood hospital in a combat zone for 7 years isn't realistic but...I digress.

Berets with liners - so what - many people on Health Service side wear them that way ;D  Getting HSS people to wear nametags and berets can be a challenge in itself.

Simian Turner said:
Berets with liners - so what - many people on Health Service side wear them that way ;D  Getting HSS people to wear nametags and berets can be a challenge in itself.

Or even the right uniform parts with the right order of dress (or even uniform period for that matter) - my first CO in 1 Fd Amb literally had to have his driver dress him in the morning to make sure he wasn't mixing oxfords and work dress with his combats...don't get me going  :rage:.

MM

The info I got from some of the folks who were providing advice was that it will be like Grey's Anatomy in Kandahar. At that point I felt it was disrespectful to all the patients and the people who worked so hard on them to reduce it to pathetic tripe made for mindless masses.

Watching the one trailer did remind me of the one US doc - an Lt(N) - who told me not to use her first name, as she was a Doctor, did I not know that? I told her it made her "inches above pond scum, but way below God, so shut the f@*k up and get ready for the casualties." Apparently US Navy docs don't like that treatment.

MGalantine said:
Berets with liners in...

Surprisingly, people do wear berets with the liners still in - the one I usually reserve for my DEU 3's and 1's still has it's liner in and looks just fine thank you. 

Staff Weenie said:
Watching the one trailer did remind me of the one US doc - an Lt(N) - who told me not to use her first name, as she was a Doctor, did I not know that? I told her it made her "inches above pond scum, but way below God, so shut the f@*k up and get ready for the casualties." Apparently US Navy docs don't like that treatment.

They're a tad rank conscious in the USN and Army as it is - they wouldn't take too well to that at all...oh well  :).

MM

Yeah - they likely weren't taking their roles too seriously or some alleged technical advisor let them walk around looking like goofs on purpose  :nod:

MM

Just a reminder to everyone that the show starts on Tuesday at 10PM EST on Global. ;D

Please keep in my mind when watching that many uniformed story advisors were ignored in the course of developing the scripts.

I don't see me getting past the pilot episode...I'll give it a chance though.

MM

It is TV drama, not a reality show.

This is not a hard concept.

Hard for me to suspend my disbelief sometimes...especially when it's kinda like what you do for a living  ;).

MM

Back