• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

CadetPAT,  don't look for the Military as a shortcut into ERT,  etc.  You could be the most high speed gunfighter in the CF,  but you will go through the same recruitment as everyone else - and may be rejected if you fail to meet the police standards.  As well if accepted into the police,  and successfully complete all training, etc they will not welcome you with open arms immediately into ERT or any other special department.  You will do your time as a regular constable and after X amount of years you can try out for whatever openings they may have,  provided you meet the pre-reqs. 

This info is from former CF members I know that are LEO.

-Skeletor- said:
CadetPAT,  don't look for the Military as a shortcut into ERT,  etc.  You could be the most high speed gunfighter in the CF,  but you will go through the same recruitment as everyone else - and may be rejected if you fail to meet the police standards.  As well if accepted into the police,  and successfully complete all training, etc they will not welcome you with open arms immediately into ERT or any other special department.  You will do your time as a regular constable and after X amount of years you can try out for whatever openings they may have,  provided you meet the pre-reqs. 

This info is from former CF members I know that are LEO.
I expected that, im sure if everybody could just walk in they would, thanks for the answers and advice

-Skeletor- said:
IMO the best thing to do would probably be to get onto the Gagetown Cabinets site(DWAN) and print out the page in the QS for each course that lists what trades can take the courses and show this person,  or forward electronic copies.  Bit surprised that someone would just assume those courses are Infantry only,  especially the B Para.
Done. I think it is mostly a personal thing with ppl from or associated with our unit - but it is impacting my guys so a close look at this has been requested...

Hi all,

I was hoping for some input on the amount of combat an Engineer sees. I am heavily interested in becoming a combat engineer for the training and experience it can offer. But I do not want to be in front line combat quite as much as the infantry is. I understand they are apart of combat and tactics but to what extent? I have been hearing the engineers are being used more like infantry then engineers. How accurate is this?

I thank you for any input.

Eric

Have you had a look here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22088.0.html

Jimmyate said:
Hi all,

I was hoping for some input on the amount of combat an Engineer sees. I am heavily interested in becoming a combat engineer for the training and experience it can offer. But I do not want to be in front line combat quite as much as the infantry is. I understand they are apart of combat and tactics but to what extent? I have been hearing the engineers are being used more like infantry then engineers. How accurate is this?

Eric

There is no such thing as a "front line" these days.. the badguys are everywhere.

Jimmyate said:
Hi all,

Eric

We're combat arms. Draw your own conclusions  ;)

Combat Engineers have roles that don't involve combat, however EVERY soldier / sailor / airman / woman (airperson?) employed in the Army is a soldier first (i.e. is expected to engage in combat to at least be able to defend themselves and their position) so if you're not looking for something that could put you in harm's way, perhaps the CF isn't for you? We're not in the business of spending large amounts of money on new recruits solely to give them life experience, so if you join as a Cbt Engr and pass your training, expect to be employed in harm's way to allow friendly forces to live, move and fight on the battlefield (i.e.  see combat).

Does the word "combat" not hint at something? We see plenty of it.

SAR tech is a change of trade, not just a course. You would be able to apply  for an OT provided you meet the terms, but there are no guarantees.

How important is it to be good at math as a combat engineer?
How hard is the math that they expect you to do?
I only ask because math was not a strong point of mine.

Jamie2319 said:
How important is it to be good at math as a combat engineer?
How hard is the math that they expect you to do?

How much math is required in the combat engineers 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2150.0

Math for Combat Engineers?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/100408.0

MATH and COMBAT ENGINEERING 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/34212.0

Math Scores & Becoming a Cbt Engr 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/26236.0

Hey everyone,
I leave this Saturday for my basic in St. Jean and I was selected for combat engineer.
I was just curious what courses I will be attending between basic training and engineer school. I'm wondering because the videos seem to be dated and I'm not sure if forces.ca is up to date.
It says I have a month of training at either Meaford or wainwright training centres for BMQL and then 2 weeks of driver training in Borden.
Any confirmation is greatly appreciated.

Graeme

GraemeCaughill said:
Hey everyone,
I leave this Saturday for my basic in St. Jean and I was selected for combat engineer.
I was just curious what courses I will be attending between basic training and engineer school. I'm wondering because the videos seem to be dated and I'm not sure if forces.ca is up to date.
It says I have a month of training at either Meaford or wainwright training centres for BMQL and then 2 weeks of driver training in Borden.
Any confirmation is greatly appreciated.

Graeme

That is correct. BMQ at CFLRS St. Jean, then BMQL at Meaford or Wainwright, Driver Wheeled at Borden, then off to Gagetown for your occupational training.

Wow, two years from application to starting course?

Good luck.

Chimo!

I have not seen troops arriving to the regiments with driver training already.  I think that was a good idea that somehow made it into recruiting documentation but never actually saw execution because the resources just do not exist.

LunchMeat said:
That is correct. BMQ at CFLRS St. Jean, then BMQL at Meaford or Wainwright, Driver Wheeled at Borden, then off to Gagetown for your occupational training.

BMQ-L could also be done at 5 DIV TC Gagetown while sitting on PAT Platoon at CFSME.....

CFSME ship their PATs all over the country to get BMQ(L).  Guys could find themselves doing it at any area training centre.

Back