• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat awards for wars almost total 343,000

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Obviously the criteria for recognizing military achievement (in combat and in garrison) is different among the various nations now at war.  Some are definitely more generous than others.  I've posted the following for those who may be interested in the subject and urge all to refrain from commenting disparagingly on the value of the awards (relative to any that may or may not be awarded by another country) or on the performance required of those who earned them.

Combat awards for wars almost total 343,000
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/army_medals_070507w/
By Jim Tice - Staff writer  Posted : Wednesday May 9, 2007 10:39:27 EDT

Soldiers have earned nearly 343,000 combat awards and decorations in Iraq and Afghanistan so far, according to the Army’s latest medal count.

The exact total — 342,701 — was calculated by Human Resources Command in mid-April. It includes valor, service, achievement and combat badges awarded since December 2001 for Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and since March 2003 for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The Army has fielded a new decoration for soldiers who do not qualify for the Combat Infantryman and Combat Medical Badges — the Combat Action Badge.

Established in May 2005 by then-Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker, the CAB recognizes non-infantry and non-Special Forces soldiers who come under fire.

As of mid-April, the Army had awarded 33,667 CABs and was processing paperwork on thousands more.

Because of a time lag in the reporting of award data from field commands to HRC’s Awards Branch, the 342,701 total does not include medals and badges awarded in units during March and April.

The total is far behind that from the Vietnam War, with more than 2.8 million medals — not including combat badges .

The Army did not keep centralized records on combat badges — the Combat Infantryman Badge and Combat Medical Badge — until the Grenada campaign of 1983, so totals for Vietnam and earlier do not include combat badges.

While there were 11.2 million soldiers under arms in World War II, the medal count was only 1.8 million, possibly because of under-reporting in the pre-computer age. The total includes 301 Medals of Honor and 4,434 Distinguished Service Crosses.

About 2.8 million soldiers participated in the Korea War of 1950-53. The conflict generated 41,801 awards, including 78 Medals of Honor and 723 Distinguished Service Crosses.

Other than the current wars, the Persian Gulf War and subsequent monitoring of Iraq was the largest conflict for awards and decorations since Vietnam.

Most of the 142,248 medals and badges awarded for that conflict went to soldiers who participated in the intense 100-hour ground offensive of Feb. 1991. The medal count includes 25,013 combat badges, but no Medals of Honor or Distinguished Service Crosses.

Since President Bush declared a “war on terrorism” more than five years ago, directives from Army headquarters to field commands have consistently emphasized that only the most deserving soldiers receive awards, an apparent reaction to the more liberal policies — and congressional criticism of those policies — that followed Operation Desert Storm.

The conservative approach is clearly apparent with the prestigious valor medals.

So far, the Army has given only one Medal of Honor, a posthumous award to Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith for heroism in Iraq; six Distinguished Service Crosses; 269 Silver Stars for valor; and 1,974 Bronze Stars for valor. Compared with past wars, that seems conservative for a force of two field armies that are under constant fire, and that at any given time numbers more than 120,000 soldiers.

The following article caught my eye at the same time as it referred to awards received in one particular unit following service in Iraq.  Comparing the numbers left me wondering about the possible nine left out.

Guardsmen returning home to three states
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/army_guardreturn_070504w/
Staff report Posted : Friday May 4, 2007 18:33:29 EDT 

....The North Carolina Army National Guard planned to welcome back 1451st Transportation Company from Iraq on Sunday, according to a press release.

The unit’s 170 soldiers supported Minnesota’s 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division, by transporting equipment and supplies.

They drove more than 1 million miles during 451 combat logistic missions, the North Carolina Guard said.

The company’s soldiers are now at Camp Atterbury, Ind., undergoing mobilization.

This was the second deployment for nearly one-third of them. Ten soldiers chose to re-enlist while in theater.

Soldiers from the 1451st earned 17 Army Achievement Medals, 117 Army Commendation Medals, three Meritorious Service medals and 24 Bronze Star medals, the release said.  ....

Interesting stuff. I still maintain that we don't honour our people enough. I think it was the wrong move to bring in the Campaign Star/medal and just add a bar for where you've been. I hope that if the Afghanistan Government strikes a thank you medal as the Kuwait Government did it won't be barred from wear on DEU.
The beauty of a ribbon for each campaign or UN tour is that you could instantly identify where that person had served and, if they were decorated, what kind of valour or special act they had performed. I know that the valour medals will still be separate but we seem to be pretty stingy with those as well.
I met a guy the other day in summer DEU and instantly was able to strike up a conversation to the effect of..."I see you served two tours in Bosnia.....were they back to back?" this led to a long conversation, but the fact is that the instant recognition of his service was a source of pride to him and the fact that I could recognize it instantly was due to the distinctive ribbon and the numeral.

There's a lot of travel and experience you dont see on the uniform...

Some countries aren't too keen on how many times they've sent their troops to certain places, especially internal security type operations. For example, the GSM Northen Ireland is the same whether you've been on one tour or, like some people I know, more than 12. No numbers etc as it wasn't regarded as a particularly glorious episode in British history. Canada didn't give out a medal for the FLQ crisis. Similarly, I think the FFL is pretty circumspect about what kind of gongs they give out for which campaigns.

Still, I agree that we could do better at handing out more appropriate gongs (what the heck was that 125 medal all about anyways? Geez..) and providing more timely recognition for a job well done.

This is just me, but I think it's kind of cheesy how they came up with these numbers. Badges and medals are two separate categories and anyway, what difference does it makes how many decorations have been awarded? If every one of the Soldiers who served had received a medal, in my opinion, that's great. We've been at war now for what, five years, and only one Soldier has been deemed worthy to receive the Medal of Honor? Can you say, 'DOWNGRADED" at echelons above reality? And while I'm on my soap box, why the heck is Congress worried about how many Bronze Stars the Army awards? I'd be willing to bet most of our so-called representatives couldn't identify a Bronze Star even if they got poked in the eye with one.

Maybe they're worried about how many license plates they need to produce...

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/veteran/bronze.htm

"Bronze Star (license) plates are issued to veterans who have been awarded a Bronze Star medal. A Bronze Star recipient must prove that s/he has been awarded the Bronze Star medal in order to receive these plates.  Bronze Star recipients are eligible for one (1) set of plates for each Bronze Star medal received."

Decorations for valor account for only 2300 of the total. The majority of the decorations are for meritorious service not bad.

tomahawk6 said:
Decorations for valor account for only 2300 of the total. The majority of the decorations are for meritorious service not bad.
My calculation comes to 6715.  Or am I correct in assuming that you are not including the DFCs, Soldier's Medals, Air Medals(V) and ARCOMs(V).

MOH  -  1
DSC  -  6
Silver Star-  269
DFC    -  128  (could be for "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight")
Soldier's Medal  - 101  (non-combat heroism)   
Bronze Star for Valor -  1974
Air Medal for Valor  -  779
ARCOM for Valor  -  3457

You are right I did not account for the ARCOM/ARAM with V device. I did count the DFC's. The DFC is both a valor award and meritorious service award.

A simple explanation for those who may wonder where American decorations are in comparison to other nations' hierarchy of awards.

Canada  UKUSA Australia
Victoria CrossVictoria CrossMedal of Honor Victoria Cross
Star of Military Valour Conspicuous Gallantry Cross    Distinguished Service Cross        Star of Gallantry
Medal of Military Valour      Military Cross Silver Star Medal for Gallantry
Mention in Dispatches Mention in Dispatches Bronze Star for Valor Commendation for Gallantry 

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/238506

Military honours in Afghanistan deserved?
TheStar.com - Ideas - Military honours in Afghanistan deserved?

All Canadians serving in Kandahar - whether cooks at the air base or soldiers `outside the wire' who could encounter bombs or Taliban bullets - get the same medal.

July 22, 2007
Andrew Chung
Toronto Star

Today in Kandahar, according to the BBC's weather service, there will be intense sunshine and the temperature will be 38 degrees Celsius, a welcome respite from the even hotter days typical of this time of year.

Southern Afghanistan is a scorching, dusty, rather inhospitable place at the best of times. And so for all those Canadian Forces members stationed there, it's by no means an easy walk in High Park.

But at Kandahar Airfield, there are at least some comforts of home. Proper showers, for instance. Hot meals. Tim Hortons, Pizza Hut, Burger King. Video games. Music rooms.

Outside the base, however, the comforts are much different: perhaps a patch of smooth desert sand on which to rest your sleeping bag, or maybe a packet of grape juice crystals, or a night free of gunfire.

"Outside the wire," as troops there put it, is a realm that carries extraordinary dangers. A man on a motorbike could be a suicide bomber. Hidden at the roadside could be a bomb.

Now, a researcher who spent months embedded with troops in Afghanistan says it's time for Canada to recognize those who spend a significant amount of their tour outside the wire, for the risks they face to life and limb on a regular basis.

More at link.

Thanks for the latest "update" from the Toronto Star.  Nothing new in it.  It even quotes many of the comments that posters have made here on Army.ca.  The discussion here has more or less come to its' own concensus and moved on.  Perhaps the Star should too.

We must have deployed to Iraq since 03 well over 600,000 troops to Iraq alone and a number of those have had multiple tours. So the figures being discussed arent out of line. Awards for heroism are not issued at anything close to the rate of Vietnam.During Vietnam  +1000 DSC's were awarded,400 were posthumous. If you have the time read some of the citations it gives you an idea what the criteria was.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/1_Citations/index.html#Distinguished Service Cross

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/1_Citations/07_RVN-dsc/dsc_07RVN-armyA.html

Back