• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colonel Commandant

Air Gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
Who is the Colonel Commandant right now, and where can I find a biography of him online????

Uhhh... Colonel commandant of what?

Shamrock said:
Colonel Peter W. Hunter CD

Seriously, though.  Artillery.net has some of what you may need, but doesn't list any names.  They may be able to provide you with more info.

Actually, following is from Artillery.net (http://www.artillery.net/English/engstart.htm)

Maj-Gen (ret'd) J MacInnis, Col Commandant, Brandon City Mayor Dave Burgess and LCol J Schneiderbanger, Base Commander, CFB Shilo, cut the ribbon, officially opening the travelling exhibit Canada's Gunners: The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery

Photo: Janine Avery/Shilo Stag

I don't know how recent that is - but it would seem that Artillery.net may be the resource you seek.

Roy

It's definitely still Major-General (Retired) J.A. MacInnis CMM, MSC, CD. As for a bio, you can call the the Regt HQ in the museum building at Shilo (that's where artillery.net comes from).

For all the Colonels Commandant
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_bio/engraph/HonorarySearchResults_e.asp?SectChoice=3&mAction=getResults&txtLastName=&sel_Rank=26&sel_Province=0&btnSubmit=Submit
ARTILLERY BRANCH 

COLONEL COMMANDANT J. MACINNIS, CMM, CD

NATIONAL DEFENCE HEADQUARTERS
ATTENTION: DLP
ARTILLERY BRANCH
MGEN GEORGE R. PEARKES BUILDING
101 COLONEL BY DR
OTTAWA ON K1A 0K2

A bio - http://www.army.dnd.ca/49FIELD_ARTILLERY/ColComdtBio.htm

OK, Air Gunner - now that we've all done the work for you - what do you need the info for?

Roy

I needed the info for a ball program I am making for the 20th Anniversary of 4 AD

The Colonel Commandant Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery is now Gen (ret'd) E. Beno, OMM, CD
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2419

The following outgoing comments by the previous Colonel Commandant have been circulated for the information of the gunner community at large. (I have edited out some comments re regimental governance and the role of the association in the interest of saving space.)

Address to the 131st Annual General Meeting of the Royal Canadian Artillery Association
14 September 2007

Major General J.A. MacInnis, Colonel Commandant

Fellow Gunners and Friends of Gunners
The role of the Colonel Commandant of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, in my view, is to help provide a bridge from the positive aspects of our collective past to our future. It is therefore more than a retrospective role and I don’t intend to be more than a little retrospective in this my final address to you. It is also, by extension, my farewell as Colonel Commandant to all members of our Regiment.

What I would like to leave you with are some observations and thoughts on the following:
The changing face of artillery operations;
Our Regimental Heritage;
Some edited remarks about the Royal Canadian Artillery Association.

First Artillery Operations

As you may know I suggested to the President RCAA the topic of Force Protection for this year’s seminar and I will say more on that subject during the seminar tomorrow. Today I want to point out the dramatic shift that has occurred in the tactical employment of artillery in the past five years.
My first observation is that the battery has regained its pre-eminent status as the fundamental organizational element of the RCA. It has thus regained a position which it held for decades prior to World War 2. Since that time and for the duration of the Cold War focus centered on artillery regiments, brigades and divisions as a means of providing the indirect firepower deemed necessary to counter the soviet hordes. Current operations seem to negate this requirement while demanding that the battery be not only self-contained but multi purpose as well. The tactical imperatives of the deployed battery has been to provide suppression, precision, a combination of both, and elements of force protection. To say that they have successful in carrying out these functions drastically understates the reality.

Meanwhile, current and immediate past COs of regular regiments have exercised their period of command to a large extent in training and mobilizing one or more batteries for operations. Their experiences need to be reviewed and examined because they differ considerably from those of us who have commanded units up to 2002.  Additionally, technological advances particularly in miniaturization and digitization make it much simpler to coordinate and control the fire of multiple fire units if and when required. This of course raises the question of the organization and composition of regiments, both regular and reserve, going forward.

A second post cold war reality is that operational deployments are discretionary with respect to size, composition and most importantly, timing. This has resulted in a much closer relationship between regular and reserve units of the Royal Regiment as our militia units meet the challenge of supporting these mini-mobilizations. This positive interaction is enhanced by one of the Royal Regiment’s greatest strength - the fact that we wear a common badge. How to further exploit this in an effective and efficient manner is also a challenge going forward.

Air defence artillery has not escaped the changing reality of post cold war operations and I will have more to say on the subject tomorrow. Suffice at this time is to say that I regret the untimely demise of the reserve AD units, a demise which was based on a premature, wrong-headed decision. Nevertheless it is time for us to think beyond ADATS and beyond Afghanistan in both field and AD Artillery. This is the operational imperative. This is the challenge for the Regiment – to build upon the amazing successes of the field artillery and the changing nature of air defence artillery as we move beyond the war in Afghanistan.

At this point I would like to commend DArty for his pragmatic approach to his job and to once again highlight the extraordinary contribution made by the RCAS in moving the guns to their rightful place in the overall scheme of things. Well done.

Next I want to talk a bit about our Regimental Heritage.
Last year I visited the Western Ontario Gunners’ Association in London. This consists of a handful of gunners who were part of the local militia unit – a unit which was disbanded 45 years ago. Through their uncommon foresight and diligence, they were ably to retain a gunner presence in the first class Delta Armouries Hotel in downtown London. To the best of my knowledge, their contribution to the preservation of our heritage remains unacknowledged and to a large extent unappreciated. Meanwhile, a few hundred kilometres to the east in Hamilton resides the residual artefacts of another disbanded unit, this time retained under the auspices of a board of trustees all of whom are of a very advanced age. These artefacts, which include an original copy of the OVERLORD operation order, are in a state of deterioration with no provision being made, to the best of my knowledge, for their eventual preservation. But our heritage is much more than then the safekeeping of our artefacts. It is the story of our regiment, indeed it is the story of artillery in Canada from the days that the first French explorers set foot on our shores. In many respect the story of our regiment is a metaphor for the beginnings of Canada itself. Our heritage is embodied in the existence of all those wonderful artillery organizations present in this country where retired gunners get together just for the pleasure of being with other gunners. It exists in the as yet unmarked graves of the four gunner veterans of the Korean War whose remains were never recovered at Canoe River in the wilds of British Columbia. It exists in the unwritten volume three of the gunners of Canada and in the yet to be completed story of the guns in Afghanistan. Last but certainly not least, it exists in the Gunner presence here in Shilo, the only place in Canada where we have an operational focal point for our heritage – one of the reasons why I asked that the RCA Central Museum, the RHQ and its associated Kit Shop be together referred as the RCA Heritage Centre.
Is the Heritage plan and Campaign moving forward? Yes it is. Is moving quickly? No it is not. But this does not really matter. While there are priorities to be established and completed, there is no real timeline to the plan nor is there a critical need for one. After all, our Regimental Heritage is evolving as we speak.
What is needed however has been eloquently written and stated by LGen Mike Jeffrey when he talks about Regimental ownership, governance and a revamped campaign strategy, issues that he is pursuing with vigour. At this stage, I would like to publicly acknowledge his continuing intelligent and thoughtful contribution. I would also like to point out that BGen Beno was present on the first occasion when the heritage idea was brought to the Artillery Council for their endorsement and he wholeheartedly supported it. I expect therefore that the tradition will continue.

There are several heritage items which I would like to bring up now and some of them will tie in to my final point related to the RCAA.
First, I initially decided to leave the serving general officers of the Artillery Council out of the heritage campaign after receiving their endorsement for the mission and plan. I did this on the grounds that they were supporting the regular force regimental fund and would be approached once they retired. This was wrong as the absence of their names on the donor list was noticed and served as a disincentive for others. I hope now they will come forward and show leadership by their generosity.
Secondly, the heritage operational plan needs the staff to make things happen. What we had in mind was a Director of Artillery Heritage and sufficient staff at the Heritage Centre to do the work. Today we have neither.  In the past, the Commander Home Station was able to become personally engaged in heritage issues as the last gunner to hold the job, Chris Simonds, certainly did. As was the case with the previous Home Station Commander, the incumbent takes his oversight job seriously, but he can not be expected to get involved with the inner workings of our regimental heritage. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that CFB Shilo, busier now than it has been since the Germans left, is critically understaffed, requiring the Regimental Major to be double-hatted even as the Regimental Adjutant’s position remains unfilled. The unavailability of support was the main reason I cancelled the 2007 ad hoc Heritage Council meeting, thus delaying consideration of the plan itself. Of course there is a war on and that takes priority but the situation certainly needs to be examined. Meanwhile we are indeed fortunate to have Marc George as the Director of the RCA Central Museum. His work, his help to me and his contribution to Regimental Heritage were and remain invaluable.

My parting shot concerns the Royal Canadian Artillery Association itself. I have watched as the RCAA struggled to survive over many lean years. Survive it did through the hard work and unselfish contribution of many, some of whom are at this meeting today. In my view it has shown that it can not only survive but it can flourish as well. It must now take the next step and examine itself to ensure that its mission and especially how its mission is been carried out is indeed relevant to the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery. As I recall, its mandate involves “The promotion of the efficiency and welfare of the (RCA) and of all matters pertaining to the defence of Canada (2002)”. Now, there is nothing wrong with this statement as long as the promotion of the efficiency and welfare of the regiment is in fact the dominant phrase and that the output reflects meaningful results. I would therefore recommend that you consider the following with respect to the promotion of Regimental efficiency:
Find an alternative to the so-called area reports that are presented at annual meetings as a means of learning about the current state of the Royal Regiment;
Considering the operational shift I mentioned earlier, promote, and if necessary underwrite the study of the employment of field artillery in future wars;
For the same reason, forget about a follow-on to SHELLBURST VALLEY as a measure of efficiency. Rather look at such factors as inter-unit cooperation within each area, unit-by unit strengths and weaknesses, force generation and self-regeneration as applicable. Do this for both regular and reserve units;
Examine each force initiative as it emerges, such as the concept of tactical grouping, to determine its impact on the Regiment, making recommendations as necessary;
Continue with the seminar process in your annual meetings but tie them as close as possible to the deliberations of the Artillery Advisory Board sessions held at the RCAS;
Foster and underwrite if necessary a study of the place of air defence artillery in the future battle space.
Clearly, I am pushing for more currency and relevance in your deliberations and impact in your output. Don’t hesitate to induce a little healthy friction in your comments and recommendations.

Good luck to you all. It has been a real blessing to have been your 14th Colonel Commandant. Good Shooting.

Back