• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coalition Troops Launch New Afghan Offensive

MikeM

Inactive
Reaction score
Shared with under the fair dealings and provisions... usual disclaimer

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070306/nato_offensive_070306/20070306?hub=TopStories

Coalition forces launch major Afghan offensive
Updated Tue. Mar. 6 2007 2:21 AM ET

Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- British forces, supported by Canadian and coalition troops, have launched an offensive to drive the Taliban out of northern Helmand province.
Maj.-Gen. Ton van Loon, commander of the region, said Operation Achilles will eventually involve 4,500 NATO and 1,000 Afghan soldiers, the largest multi-national force the coalition has fielded in a single operation.
Van Loon said troops will flush Taliban extremists, foreign militants and warlords involved in the opium poppy trade out of northern Helmand.

Canadian forces are supporting the offensive by setting up a blocking position in the Maywand district near the northwestern border of Kandahar province.
Once the Taliban are eliminated the plan is for development agencies to refurbish the strategic Kajaki dam to bring more electricity and water to the region.
Helmand in southwest Afghanistan has seen plenty of fighting, especially around the Kajaki area.

Go get some and god speed fellas.

Right on.  For all the media and military talk of the Taliban "Spring Offensive" what should have been the hot topic is what will we do to them?  Any commander worth his commission will be able to preempt an offensive announced 6 months ahead of time.

Good hunting!

sacbee.com

An ISAF statement said that one soldier died Tuesday in the south during combat operations, but it gave no further details about the soldier's death or where it happened. Collins said he didn't know if the death was due to the new operation.

:salute:  Condolences  :salute:

Royal Marine dies in Afghanistan
A Royal Marine has died after his unit came under fire in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence said.
The marine, from 42 Commando, was involved in a clearance operation in the Kajaki area of Helmand province.

The death takes the number of UK troops killed in combat operations in Afghanistan since 2001 to 51.

An MoD spokesman said it was not connected to a major Nato assault against Taleban and drug traffickers in the same district.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6423931.stm

Another British soldier. RIP soldier! My condolences to family and friends.  :salute:

RIP to the fallen.  :salute:

But, remember, the Taliban were half right: there would be an offensive this "spring"....too bad (for them) it's a NATO offensive.

So how many Canadian troops are there in Helma? With that in mind how many are also in Kandahar and Kabul? I know the total, just want to know amount of troops in each particular area.

R.O.S said:
So how many Canadian troops are there in Helma? With that in mind how many are also in Kandahar and Kabul? I know the total, just want to know amount of troops in each particular area.
Do you want to know their names too?  Units? Dispositions?  Capabilities?  Battle Rhythm?

Check the government site for general specs: which is roughly 2500, give or take.

R.O.S said:

OPSEC

A bit more, straight from the horse's mouth - to all in the fight, good hunting!

ISAF and Afghan Forces launch major operation in the South
ISAF news release # 2007-149, 6 Mar 07
Statement

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (6 March) – At the request of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force and Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) launched Operation Achilles earlier today, an effort concentrated on the northern region of Helmand Province.

“Our first manoeuvre elements reached their positions at approximately 05h00 this morning and at it’s peek, Operation Achilles will eventually involve over 4500 NATO troops and close to 1000 ANSF personnel,” said Major-General Ton van Loon, Commander of Regional Command (South). “This is the largest multi-national combined ANSF and ISAF operation launched to date and it signifies the beginning of a planned offensive to bring security to northern Helmand and set the conditions for meaningful development that will fundamentally improve the quality of life for Afghans in the area,” he added.

Operations will focus on improving security in areas where Taliban extremists, narco-traffickers and other elements are trying to de-stabilize the Government of Afghanistan. We also intend to empower village elders to take charge of their communities as they have been doing so in other parts of southern Afghanistan, without the influence of Taliban extremists.

Though Operation Achilles will initially focus on improving security conditions, its overarching purpose is to assist the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan improve its ability to begin reconstruction and economic development in the area.

“Strategically, our goal is to enable the Afghan Government to begin the Kajaki project. This long term initiative is a huge undertaking and the eventual rehabilitation of the Kajaki multi-purpose dam and power house will improve the water supply for local communities, rehabilitate irrigation systems for farmlands and provide sufficient electrical power for residents, industries and commerce,” added Major-General van Loon.

There is no scheduled end date to this operation. ISAF and ANSF forces will continue to apply pressure to extremist forces and pursue reconstruction and development objectives until they are achieved.

ISAF and Afghan Forces launch major operation in the South
ISAF News release # 2007-150, 6 Mar 07
Statement

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (6 March) – An ISAF soldier was killed today in Southern Afghanistan during combat operations.  In accordance with NATO policy, ISAF does not release a casualty's nationality prior to the relevant national authority doing so.

OPSEC?... No I dont want to know divisions or anything that specific, just if there are 200 Canadian troops in Helma or just 2. I thought that Canada primarily operated in Kabul and Kandahar.

Doesnt matter.  With that knowledge of what numbers are where, you can extrapolate Units, Dispositions, Capabilities

And again, nobody's going to tell you, due to OPSEC considerations.

Please read  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40907/post-493022.html#new
to get a feel for what will, and won't, be discussed on this site.

DF

RE: Article (and not OPSEC discussion)

GO GET 'EM, TROOPS!! :salute:

Spring Offencive, eh Mr. Taliban?  Beat ya to it, chief.  :threat:

R.O.S  Opsec means operation security  I think  . Basically means you don't discuss anything about  the missions going over seas cause we don't want to take a chance of any of that info getting into the wrong hands .  Also it might be a good idea to fill  out your profile  a bit more that way we know who you are .    I think the mods could even provide some guide lines for you if your having  any difficulties with that  cheers have a good one .    To the mods I hope that  I am not being out of line  just want to help

To the troops over there good hunting come home safe

I will add more to the profile... as soon (i hope) I get accepted into the reserves (in coming weeks)... anyways thanks for the advice.

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
But, remember, the Taliban were half right: there would be an offensive this "spring"....too bad (for them) it's a NATO offensive.

Reallly?  You mean the Taliban didn't lure the NATO invaders into their kiling fields?

Oops. There, that's better.  My chair was leaning left a bit.    ;D

200 Canadians in Op Achilles so far:
http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/afghanistan/archive/2007/03/06/operation-achilles.aspx

Sad that our luck ran out at KAF.

Mark
Ottawa

Back