• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CO decorated for leading by example

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from Tuesday's Ottawa Citizen is a good article about LCol Lavoie, who was CO 1RCR BG in Afghanistan:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=08b57c82-ce28-403f-869f-132334aea46d&k=44019

Soldier earns medal for leading by example
A Stittsville native is being honoured for his actions in Afghanistan, where he commanded his troops from the front lines, reports William Lin.

William Lin
The Ottawa Citizen

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

In the Afghanistan battle that Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean's office is calling "the most significant ground combat operation in NATO's history," it was Lt.-Col. Omer Henry Lavoie of Stittsville who led the troops.

And he didn't command from afar. Out in the 55-degree heat, he was on the front lines -- and his machine- gun on his light-armoured vehicle proved it, with a gouge on the barrel from flying shrapnel only centimetres away from his head.

Other times, he was metres away from an exploding suicide bomber.

"My perspective is that you have to lead from the front so you understand what your soldiers are going through," he said yesterday. "And you have to share the same risks and hardships as the soldiers."

Yesterday, the Governor General announced she will award Lt.-Col. Lavoie, 41, with the Meritorious Service Cross.

For seven months beginning in August 2006, he commanded the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group, in southern Afghanis-tan. Within days of taking command, he led Operation Medusa, NATO's first offensive ground operation at the Battle Group level.

At the height of the the operation, 1,400 troops moved under his command. But, he also immersed himself in battles, sitting in the crew commander's seat of his light-armoured vehicle as bullets whistled around his convoy.

"The way it works is, yeah, I'm the commanding officer, the senior man on the ground. But at the same time, I was a soldier first," Lt.-Col. Lavoie said.

"I don't know how many times, close to half a dozen times or so, we were ambushed or engaged with some sort of direct fire weapon," from machine-gun to 82-millimetre recoilless weapon fire, he said.

His convoy constantly encountered improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, and on Nov. 27 it led to tragedy.

Lt.-Col Lavoie was leading his four-vehicle combat patrol as they tried to link up with forward troops. Half an hour after leaving Kandahar Airfield, a suicide bomber detonated an explosive, killing the driver in the vehicle behind Lt.-Col. Lavoie.

It also killed his regimental sergeant-major, Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard.
They had been together for almost 18 months during training and combat, he said, but they were more than just colleagues.

In August, Lt.-Col. Lavoie will walk Chief Warrant Officer Girouard's daughter down the aisle.
"That was ... probably the most trying day given that he's my right-hand man, a very close friend, families are very close," he said. "So to have him killed ... that was a difficult blow for me and my battle group."

But it also strengthened his resolve to win the war, he said.

"I promised his family that we would keep the fight against the enemy because that's what he would have wanted us to have done," he said.

His battle group's efforts forced the Taliban militants away from certain swaths of land, allowing villagers to return to their homes, he said.

Lt.-Col. Lavoie said he credits several hundred others for the honour: soldiers who served under him.

"They're the ones that deserve the recognition and award and they're the guys who, through both achievement and sacrifice, led to the success of the mission over there," he said.

He added that just three hours after he took his command in Afghanistan, hundreds of Taliban militants attacked one of their positions. They were outnumbered around five-to-one.

In the end, about 100 militants were killed, he estimated, while no one on the Canadian side died that day.

Born in the northern Ontario town of Marathon, he always loved the outdoors and at 10 years old, knew he wanted to do something military related, he said.

Lt.-Col. Lavoie was a rifle platoon commander during the Oka Crisis, a company second-in-command in Croatia and Bosnia and served as a battle group operations officer in Kosovo.

The Governor General also announced yesterday that Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener would be given the Meritorious Service Decoration.

Maj. Hess-von Kruedener, a 44-year-old London, Ont., native, was given the award posthumously. He was killed last July in Lebanon when Israeli forces struck a UN observation post.

The award's citation said he "steadfastly maintained his position while reporting the situation as it presented itself."

His wife, Cynthia Hess-von Kruedener, said he had always wanted to serve at that post. And that day, he honoured Canada by continuing to do his duty, she said.

"He stayed at that post knowing that they were unable to get him out," she said.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2007

LCol Lavoi is a man I would and did march straight into hell for. He has earned all the accolades that are being put on him and so many many more. I have nothing but glowing things to say about him.

Funny thing is I had him as an OC previously and I couldn't stand him, goes to show how you change, they change or the postion is just the right fit.

Having started my military career with Omer a "few" years ago, I can state without a second's hesitation that Omer represents everything good about leadership in today's Canadian Army.  The only thing that could have made my own tour in Afghanistan better would have been serving with Omer and his soldiers.

VRI

G2G

A great Man and a Great Leader, i have absolutley nothing Bad to say about him,  He is a fine example of what Leadership should be like.

A well deserved accolade for an outstanding leader.  :salute:

I would, without a doubt, follow him into battle… again.  ;)

From the few times I've met him, I'd say ...

bang on. He certainly seemed excellent to me.

Congrats to him.

HitorMiss said:

Funny thing is I had him as an OC previously and I couldn't stand him, goes to show how you change, they change or the postion is just the right fit.

Or perhaps all three at the same time!

I don't know LCol Lavoie - but praise for a CO (or any officer) from the likes of HitorMiss and RHFC_Piper is more than enough for me to understand that LCol Lavoie is an exceptional leader and deserving of this honour.

Roy Harding said:
Or perhaps all three at the same time!

I don't know LCol Lavoie - but praise for a CO (or any officer) from the likes of HitorMiss and RHFC_Piper is more than enough for me to understand that LCol Lavoie is an exceptional leader and deserving of this honour.

Aside from the first hand experiences which both HoM and I (and many, many others) have had in the thick of it under LCol Lavoie, I would like to point out, in reference to the articles which HoM had posted earlier (Panjwaii 1 & 2), that he was indeed a "great" leader in every aspect: He cared for his troops enough to postpone our assault into the heavily fortified Taliban stronghold of Pashmul as long as he possibly could, yet, once in, he pushed to get the job done right.  He found the unique balance between "Mission over man" and "no man left behind" which, with out a doubt, saved countless lives while completing the mission at hand as best as the odd would let us.

He led from the front, he led by example, he cared for his troops and he stayed on mission...  Attributes of a great leader in my books.

Agreed to all above posts.  Without a doubt when orders came down from 9er you knew that we were going to be supported from start to finish.  He would fight for us and with us.  A great leader and the finest soldier.  I only hope that his absence from the front line units is temporary.  Pro Patria

Back