• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMTT

Bicycles are a pretty common item on airlines.  You have to go to the oversize baggage counter, but it's not usually a problem.  Here are Air Canada's current rules (from their website):

Bicycles are accepted on a space available basis only and should be pre-registered at time of booking.

Each bicycle counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.

Charges

Bicycles are subject to a $50 CAD/USD handling charge (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on all Air Canada and Jazz flights.

The handling charge applies to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flights.

A single fixed handling charge is waived for Latitude and Executive fare customers for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the US. Additional checked baggage rules still apply.

If your baggage count (bicycle + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of items allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to the fixed handling charge.

Packing instructions

The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping or (when transporting collapsible bicycles) in a bicycle suitcase. If not packaged in a container, Air Canada will provide a plastic bicycle bag and will accept the item with a signed limited release.

In laymans terms for 50 bucks you bycycle may or may not make it on your flight or ANY flight for that manner. But only if you book it in advance and you don't bring anyomore than one bag and you  put it in a case or if not we can put it in a bag and we accepts no responsabitities to damages done herin unto that said is all et all etc.......

Ship it CMTT at least when your UAB does arrive they have to deliver it to your shack room door. And nine times out of ten the delivery is done by a commercial carrier.

mover1 said:
In laymans terms for 50 bucks you bycycle may or may not make it on your flight or ANY flight for that manner. But only if you book it in advance and you don't bring anyomore than one bag and you  put it in a case or if not we can put it in a bag and we accepts no responsabitities to damages done herin unto that said is all et all etc.......

Ship it CMTT at least when your UAB does arrive they have to deliver it to your shack room door. And nine times out of ten the delivery is done by a commercial carrier.

Really mover1? I always had to go down to CMTT to pick up what ever kit I shipped through it.........

You should call the PSP at the Mega before you do anything... last summer there was a borrowing program thinger for bikes that they had going on. I don't know the in's and out's of it or any details for that matter, just that it did exist last summer, so a phone call may save you a lot of effing around...

I'm with NFLD Sapper on this one.  I've NEVER had CMTT deliver to my door.  I've always had to go get it myself and oddly enough, CMTT never seems to be in a convenient location.

On the other hand, I've taken my bicycle lots of times on the airplane (without booking ahead even) and never had a problem. 

If it is a good bike buy/aquire a bike box from a local bike shop.  I think a bike box should fit pretty neatly into the top of a tri wall.  To get it in a box at least one crank will probably have to come off and the bars will need to be turned sideways.  If you don't CMTT MOAB boxes you should be good for weight unless it is a steel full suspension walmart bike.  Air Canada charges $50 per leg for a bike which is reasonable.  FEDEX is a fair 3rd choice.  You can get an online quote from them.

CMTT is supposed to/should deliver it during one of their freight runs. Now wether they run your CMTT's different?!Or if you have the means to get it yourself. thats another question. In Cold Lake Greenwood and Shilo. We Delivered.

Do they have Kijiji where you're being posted? Pretty soon nobody's going to bother moving anything anywhere when you can buy stuff from other people for five cents on the dollar.

Hello, I have a question concerning CMTT and couldn't find an answer (or recent enough) through search.
I am posted in BC, had my move done already, will be posted this winter in Halifax, driving my car, so I will need winter tires.  I have them at my parents house (didn't bring them because they were useless here and didn't have space for them), could they ship them through CMTT from a base near them to my base? 
I was told previously to try through the Family Resources centre but they said they were not dealing with that kind of shipment.

Thank you

If you've already had your "initial move on enrollment" (essentially been reunited with all the stuff you put in storage when you left for BMQ/BMOQ) then you are basically SOL.  On posting, you are only allowed to move your stuff from the last place you were moved at public expense (which would now appear to be Esquimalt).  Based on what you've posted and my assumptions, your only options now are:

1)  have your parents ship your tires (at your/their expense) to Esquimalt to be in included with your HG&E going to Halifax;

2)  wait until you get to Halifax and have your parents ship your tires (again at your/their expense) to you there; 

3)  ship everything you can from Esquimalt in order to leave space in the car so you can pick them up on your way across; or

4)  buy new tires.

CMTT is not a free shipping service for military personnel to use anytime for anything.  It primarily exists to move CF materiel around for CF missions.  Although one of those missions can be to ship personal belongings for those entitled to it, there are caveats which you don't seem to qualify for in this case.

Thank you
We already looked at other options like bus, but I wanted to see if their was a quicker and safer way through military.
I could picked them on my way to Halifax, it was more for safety consideration I wanted to have them installed before I drive across in case I hit a snow storm...

Thank you for your answer

Tried searching on google but couldn't really find anything.

How do you track your CMTT package using the tracking number and/or contact CMTT to inquire about your package?

Yeah, CMTT isn't like FedEx. If you call CMTT at the base it's heading to, and give them the tracking number they may be able to find it.

You need the TCN for the shipment, it is an alpha numeric code in the following format WA 2123 00 001 the TCN stays with the shipment from start to finish, the WSBL (waybill number) would look something like TC 12 3456. If you don't have one of these numbers, it can be hard to trace. The only way to trace this is through the NMDS system that your local CMTT/MDC use.

No point starting a new topic.

Recently posted to CFB Halifax Stadacona.  MY CMTT form does not have a contact number, although I at lease have a tracking number, for where my UAB is being delivered and my CoC has no idea either, oddly enough.  I've called CFB Shearwater CMTT through Google references and they gave me a nonexistent phone number to the Dockyard where I suspect my kit might be.  Can anybody please provide me with a number or location for where my UAB might be?

Regards

I've searched and can't find the answer to this. I'm on IT and being posted back after several years. I have a personal firearm that I would rather ship in CMTT than bring in my vehicle. It's partially dismantled and locked in a case. Can I ship it with CMTT?

Any other restrictions on CMTT? I'm assuming my mountain bike is ok? Probably anything flammable/corrosive/reactive/underpressure is not permitted? Thanks.

Hello.

I want to CMTT my kit home after course.

My course butts right up to Xmas leave and I'd like to have my army gear shipped back to my home base (cross-country) after course; while I go down the road from course to spend xmas with my family who are within a few hours drive, without tripping over a barracks box full of army gear for several weeks while I am on leave.

I figure I can do without 95% of my gear for the last week and just deal with the rest and bring it home with me through a cheapo value village suitcase. I'd like to just haul my barracks box down the road to whoever and have them take care of it for me. Likewise; I can live without it for a few weeks when I get home after leave.

But who do I see to make this happen and how do I get it done?

Thanks for your time.

Have you talked to your course staff? On every course I have been on they have been the point of contact between the soldiers and CMTT, or give the CMTT section on the base a call and explain the situation. I would say go through the course staff first.

dangerboy said:
Have you talked to your course staff? On every course I have been on they have been the point of contact between the soldiers and CMTT, or give the CMTT section on the base a call and explain the situation. I would say go through the course staff first.

They don't even know who athe course staff are yet. This will likely be last-minute from start to finish. It has been nothing but chaos so far. Typical, right?

mover1 said:
Firstly your going to need authority to ship UAB. That is included in your message. It has all the fin coding etc etc there. If you intend to ship UAB you need to get a form from your orderlyroom that needs to go down to CMTT this is your authority to ship. Usually entitelment is on poundage and not on what you are shipping. Belive me I have seen it all from Rock Salt to Sound Systems even car tires and once a rear diff from a jeep.

Best thing to do though is instead of going on this forum to ask a question about military matters is get it right from the horses mouth. Phone your CMTT's Shipping section. They will give you the straight up and may even do you a solid by giving you boxes.

Cheers

I think this is the info I need.

Back