• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clothing Stores Help Line Topic

I'm sure if you explained your case to them they probably would have made an exception....

NFLD Sapper said:
I'm sure if you explained your case to them they probably would have made an exception....

Perhaps, however I did not feel it appropriate to lean on some poor duty Cpl to bend rules they are required to operate within. It's not their fault.

c_canuk said:
It's irritating when you're told you need new high visibility name tapes, that you have to blow half a day of personal time and the only day you have time to do so, they're closed.

You should never have to blow off half a day of personal time to conduct a military duty and going to clothing stores to pick up required kit is a legitimate military duty - regardless of whether it takes all day to do that in the NCR (and yes, I know that it can).  If your supervisor won't give you the time necessary to do that, then he/she is part of the problem.

ArmyVern said:
I feel for you;  I'd much prefer that you tossed your own garbage out and we just issued you your 5 per year.  Every Sup Tech I know would say the same.  I've no idea the "why" for this other than someone making the rules way above us decided that 'some' reservists probably would not actually ruin 5 shirts per year and thus, money was to be saved by only exchanging shirts "certified" as requiring replacement.  Spending 10 bucks in wages to save the 6 bucks of the cost of the t-shirt.

:-\

Occasionally, "the system" puts in silly requirements like this in order to prevent personnel from hoarding things or collecting things unnecessarily.  Ours is an institution that lives in mortal fear that someone, somewhere is getting something they're not "entitled to."  In and of itself this is not actually a bad idea, but when we spend vastly more in resources policing things than we save by those actions, then we have seriously lost our way.  We should just issue five shirts a year and be done with it.  Saving the disposal costs alone should cover the cost of mistakenly issuing somebody an extra shirt.

My latest beef is with Clothing On Line.  Why is my annual entitlement to seven long-sleeve shirts and seven short-sleeve shirts, but only ten in total?  Why can't I order seven of each?  For that matter why can't I have as many as I want as long as I have the points to "pay" for them.  It doesn't make sense that I can order more pairs of trousers than I could ever use in a year, but get cut short on shirts even though I can "afford" them (N.B:  my shirts are white, so I go through them rather quickly - seven of each would be adequate, but I'd still like more).

Pusser said:
Occasionally, "the system" puts in silly requirements like this in order to prevent personnel from hoarding things or collecting things unnecessarily.  Ours is an institution that lives in mortal fear that someone, somewhere is getting something they're not "entitled to."  In and of itself this is not actually a bad idea, but when we spend vastly more in resources policing things than we save by those actions, then we have seriously lost our way. W should just issue five shirts a year and be done with it.  Saving the disposal costs alone should cover the cost of mistakenly issuing somebody an extra shirt.

Well, we are not the only ones. A friend of mine was a carpenter during the years leading to the Montreal Olympics. The government was so scared of  the workers stealing that they were issued 25 nails at time. Imagine: when working at level 800, they would put 25 nails in the cement forms, then have to walk all the way down and to the other end to pic 25 more after standing in line for it at the stores. They usually managed this round trip about four times a day. It would have been cheaper to give every carpenter  a 20 pounds bag of nails as they walked in the morning and telling them to keep the leftovers at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, one cement truck out of two would drive in and be counted at one end of the work site, slow down and fake discharging, then come out at the other end still full, where the checkers did not even know how to tell if a truck was full or empty by looking at the suspension.  ;D

Pusser said:
You should never have to blow off half a day of personal time to conduct a military duty and going to clothing stores to pick up required kit is a legitimate military duty - regardless of whether it takes all day to do that in the NCR (and yes, I know that it can).  If your supervisor won't give you the time necessary to do that, then he/she is part of the problem.

we're under 50% manned trade wise, I was double hatted, my Capt was away, and it's March. We support operational requirements.

Getting name tapes is at the bottom of the priority list. Since I had a slice of time on my travel day, which is technically duty, I wanted to go then, but while getting the address I realized they were closed.

The issue is that everything in the NCR is so spread out, a quick trip to clothing stores or MIR ends up being half a day or more. I can only do so much from BB.

The NCR situation is... not ideal... In an ideal world, sure.

It blows my mind that it's acceptable that it takes half a person day to pick up a prescription, or get some accoutrements from clothing stores. It's probably a large contributing factor in the NCRs cultural lack of urgency to pass traffic compared to other locations.

Pusser said:
My latest beef is with Clothing On Line.  Why is my annual entitlement to seven long-sleeve shirts and seven short-sleeve shirts, but only ten in total?  Why can't I order seven of each?  For that matter why can't I have as many as I want as long as I have the points to "pay" for them.  It doesn't make sense that I can order more pairs of trousers than I could ever use in a year, but get cut short on shirts even though I can "afford" them (N.B:  my shirts are white, so I go through them rather quickly - seven of each would be adequate, but I'd still like more).

Maybe stop drinking coffee?

c_canuk said:
we're under 50% manned trade wise, I was double hatted, my Capt was away, and it's March. We support operational requirements.

Getting name tapes is at the bottom of the priority list. Since I had a slice of time on my travel day, which is technically duty, I wanted to go then, but while getting the address I realized they were closed.

It's a new FY.  Trying doing what I do (and what a great many Units do); have your Chief Clerk pull up the units nominal roll (SN, Name, Environment) and submit the list to Clothing Stores for order of the annual entitlement of 3 each per individual.

NCR Clothing also accepts such a nominal roll request (well, they did last year at least).

c_canuk said:
Back to my original post.

If you will read the appointments only caveat again, you will see they are for operational reasons only. Since I was only going on course and only had wed, my travel day, to go to supply, I was frustrated.

I guess you were as frustrated as us when people use Supply as their "last minute excuse" as to why they are unprepared...

c_canuk said:
Especially since for most of us, getting over there is not easy nor time effective. Some of us are working nights and weekends uncompensated in addition to normal hours to keep on top of operational requirements and last minute CDSO and MNDO requests among others.

And we, too, deal with operational requirements, fastballs evenings and weekends (don't give me the "uncompensated" bull - you are in a uniform as am I) What do you think we do - shut 'er down and go for cheese doodles?

c_canuk said:
It's irritating when you're told you need new high visibility name tapes, that you have to blow half a day of personal time and the only day you have time to do so, they're closed.

I have been ordering hi-vis tapes and slip-ons for over a year and a half now - just the way Vern described. How is it that just recently, one day before you have to go away, you need them?

c_canuk said:
Pardon me for my outburst, I did not mean to offend, just illustrate disbelief that this is the case.

It's fine. You do not need to be in disbelief. We have jobs too. Real ones.

BinRat55 said:
I guess you were as frustrated as us when people use Supply as their "last minute excuse" as to why they are unprepared...

And we, too, deal with operational requirements, fastballs evenings and weekends (don't give me the "uncompensated" bull - you are in a uniform as am I) What do you think we do - shut 'er down and go for cheese doodles?

never implied any of that, just pointing out that some of us don't have much time during regular business hours, and when the woe is me, my section is so undermanned violining started; I wanted to make the point clear, you're not alone.

I have been ordering hi-vis tapes and slip-ons for over a year and a half now - just the way Vern described. How is it that just recently, one day before you have to go away, you need them?

It's fine. You do not need to be in disbelief. We have jobs too. Real ones.

I'm not saying it's the people manning clothing stores are at fault, I'm in disbelief that you're undermanned to the point you have to close one business day a week.

I'm also sure you're familiar with a sliding scale of priority and last minute taskings... I wear 3Bs normally so it wasn't a pressing issue until last minute.

I've been cancelling my scheduled timing to go to supply in MM since oct last year. However when the MNDO calls, "sorry can't support you I have to go to supply to pick up my name tapes all afternoon" isn't an option.

ArmyVern, are you saying they'll mail us the name tapes, if so I'll be all over that. I was under the impression that was not entertained as you'd be doing it constantly, and i figure that's really not sustainable.

c_canuk said:
ArmyVern, are you saying they'll mail us the name tapes, if so I'll be all over that. I was under the impression that was not entertained as you'd be doing it constantly, and i figure that's really not sustainable.

I'm saying your Unit (section, whatever) should be ordering nametapes for your applicable group in bulk via a nominal roll submitted by your (Chief Clerk, RQ, SQ, CAM, WO, QM, Section Head) etc etc once per year.  Those nametapes can then be sent by Clothing Stores to the applicable "orderer" (here, I have the Chief Clerk do the Unit list up and Clothing sends them to him once received) for distribution to all the section/Unit members.

They will NOT mail stuff out individually.

ArmyVern said:
I'm saying your Unit (section, whatever) should be ordering nametapes for your applicable group in bulk via a nominal roll submitted by your (Chief Clerk, RQ, SQ, CAM, WO, QM, Section Head) etc etc once per year.  Those nametapes can then be sent by Clothing Stores to the applicable "orderer" (here, I have the Chief Clerk do the Unit list up and Clothing sends them to him once received) for distribution to all the section/Unit members.

They will NOT mail stuff out individually.

In my unit there is a "sign-in" order sheet for name tapes both CADPAT and DEU...but takes a long time for the RQ to get them sent out and returned.....

NFLD Sapper said:
In my unit there is a "sign-in" order sheet for name tapes both CADPAT and DEU...but takes a long time for the RQ to get them sent out and returned.....

That's why I have the CC do a bulk order for the entire Unit once per year for their entitlement.  Much easier for clothing to action too because the contract 'minimum' order is covered so no delay or wait times.

We usually get our back in about 5 weeks after placing the order.  CC distributes them out and everyone is good to go.

We do still have the occasional one-offs ... QL3 coming in etc etc that need to be ordered outside the bulk order.

If we were really clever, all Clothing Stores would have embroidery machines and could make nametapes in any style (just need to keep stock of the blanks) on demand or even on the spot.

The technology exists and it's not expensive.

Pusser said:
If we were really clever, all Clothing Stores would have embroidery machines and could make nametapes in any style (just need to keep stock of the blanks) on demand or even on the spot.

Like CANEX pricing, Mess alcohol prices and PMQ rents, you would be in competition with local business.  We couldn't have that now, could we?    >:D

c_canuk said:
never implied any of that, just pointing out that some of us don't have much time during regular business hours, and when the woe is me, my section is so undermanned violining started; I wanted to make the point clear, you're not alone.

I'm not saying it's the people manning clothing stores are at fault, I'm in disbelief that you're undermanned to the point you have to close one business day a week.

I'm also sure you're familiar with a sliding scale of priority and last minute taskings... I wear 3Bs normally so it wasn't a pressing issue until last minute.

I've been cancelling my scheduled timing to go to supply in MM since oct last year. However when the MNDO calls, "sorry can't support you I have to go to supply to pick up my name tapes all afternoon" isn't an option.

You began your whole show with

"Here's one,

Why the flying F___ is clothing stores in the NCR closed on Wednesdays?

Unbelievable."

Then you are saying you never "implied" anything. You sure as heck did. Then you pointed out how some people just don't have much time during business hours and you have putting off going to Clothing since Oct of last year. You honestly expect the Supply community to believe that you have been taken aback by last minute operational emergency issues every day for the past 6 months? The MNDO calls YOU every day? You must be very important and the only one that can do the job there in all the land. You say you wear 3Bs mostly. But we are all supposed to have all orders of dress ready to go, aren't we?

I'm not going to beat this any more, I just wanted my point to be understood - people often complain about how we in the support trades (supply / RMS / cooks / maint... ) can't perform to THEIR standards, completely forgetting that we have our own unique requirements to contend with. We honestly don't go out of our way to say "Yeah, screw the base today, we need facials"... You have to remember - the support trades take very good care of EVERYONE on their respective bases. We here in Gagetown deal with 5000+ people. Then, add to that some "unpopular" policies we have to impose, making people even MORE unhappy - thinking yet again - that Cpl in the orderly room really screwed me today, or that civi in clothing stores is an a** because he would do X for me...

I apologise for being flippant and a little sarcastic, but when someone questions me with "Why the FLYING F***..." kinda gets me riled up.

BinRat55 - I guess this is another example of tone being difficult to convey across written media.

It was a statement of in-credulousness, not finger pointing. I wanted to know the reason normal business hours weren't being supported, it turns out there is a significant manning issue - understood. It is still amazing to me that this state of affairs is the case.

At no point did I say you, or any of the people operating clothing stores decided to set this standard and are sluffing off. That was never my intent. I just was amazed that this is the state of affairs for the clothing stores supporting the largest group of personnel in the CF.

If you want to believe I'm blaming you, fill your boots. It's not my intention but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks ArmyVern, I'll get the green light from my SSM to set this up as a routine yearly task, sounds like a win win for everyone.

c_canuk said:
BinRat55 - I guess this is another example of tone being difficult to convey across written media.

This is very true... I am as guilty as anyone, trust me.

c_canuk said:
If you want to believe I'm blaming you, fill your boots. It's not my intention but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I don't think you are blaming anyone honestly, but the frustration level grows when info (amongst many trades) is not available or given accurately. It happens. You would most definitely stand up for your trade as vehemently as I i'm sure.

Pusser said:

We're a red trade; treading water trying to keep our heads above it yet the admin required of our trade keeps piling up due to the new way of doing business in the CAF - Risk Aversion vice Risk Management.  How many more annual reports and returns could one add on top of the ever-expanding and more intrusive Material Attestations Reports, Material Accountability Reports, Financial Reports, Quarterly Stocktakings, etc etc etc  (And, here I thought the very ineffecient-to-use DRMIS was the be all to end all and was supposed to kill the need to do manual reports etc because every single thing they want to know in these reports is actually avail through DRMIS [How many write-offs? What dollar value? Who did the write-off? Why? What did you buy? From who? How much did it cost? What is the budget balance?etc etc etc]).

Who the heck is going to be doing the embroidering?  There's a video on youtube called "Aint't got no time for that". 

Back