• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Police to Military Police

Shamrock

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
rocksteady said:
I was given offers of employment from two other services but the military wouldnt let me out un time to do training so I feel like I'm stuck.

Not an MP, have no dog in this fight, and am sorry to hear about your golden handcuffs.  However, lots of non-MP being hired into policing positions have been able to negotiate hire dates to align with their release dates - up to six months.
 

rocksteady

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Shamrock said:
Not an MP, have no dog in this fight, and am sorry to hear about your golden handcuffs.  However, lots of non-MP being hired into policing positions have been able to negotiate hire dates to align with their release dates - up to six months.

Yes it depends on the service.  Some will put you on a later course and some will not. 
 

Scott

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
289
Points
980
garb811 said:
Lol, most awesome statement ever.  You got in, you're still here, almost 7 years to this point.  You have a "bit of experience", a police foundations diploma, a Bachelor's degree, police recruiters should be drooling all over themselves if you walk in the door, but you haven't been able to get picked up by a "real" police service.  What does your statement say about yourself?

What does your posting history on this website say about you?

You've been convicted for falling asleep on duty in Afghanistan, that says enough about your character and self discipline but...  You don't do proper admin research on your own, instead you come to army.ca to have others do it for you, including something as simple as whether or not you can split MATA/PATA with your spouse.  You don't want to be reachable when on weekends, leaving your co-workers hanging if a recall happens.  You think you should have been excused a career course because you were going home for Easter, yet likely would have been the first to cry foul if an AR was done and your leaf removed for refusing to attend even though you were well past the point at which an AR is called for and refusing to attend a career course for personal reasons.  You get a job offer and want the military to continue to employ you for 30 days until it starts even though your TOS were expired and you didn't want to sign a new one, yet you are now upset the military won't waive the six month requirement to break the TOS you subsequently signed, even though D Mil C's decision to start enforcing the policy again when the Branch went yellow was widely circulated multiple times when it happened.  You expect the CAF to provide you with OTC pain meds on demand so you can have them around, "just in case".  And now it looks like you seem to think we should pay you to go to school to get a SECOND bachelors degree so you can take your commission because your first degree isn't suitable for the classification you want, yet you couldn't make the cut for officer on your first try at CFAT and think a waiver should be granted even though the whole point of the cut off line of the CFAT is to set a benchmark for who is suitable for commissioning and who isn't. 

Yet you complain about being treated as a child by the Branch.  If your real life is any reflection of what you are portraying yourself as on this website, it isn't hard to figure out why. 

You hate the Branch, we get it.  We've gotten it for a while now.  As JJT said, grow a set of balls, submit your six month release and beat it.  But you won't.  You will continue to expect us to employ you, to pay you, probably send you on gucci "police" courses to pad your resume, to cater to your other whims and be prepared to release you on the date of your choosing should you be so fortunate as to land a job on the outside.

I'm pretty sure this dude has been an idiot here since 06 and just came back with a different name. Loads of things match up, most prevalent is the piss poor attitude and sheer laziness.

Gonna make an awesome cop, this one.

Rocksteady, ah fuck it, you're banned.
 

Avail

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
NinerSix said:
I'm not sure if the trade has the signing bonus for applicants with required experience or education.

Wouldn't that be the only sort of accepted applicant? One with relevant experience or meets the education requirements?
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
671
Points
1,260
Looking over the 43 replies, I was curious if the Original Poster ever came back to read them:
http://milnet.ca/forums/members/73500

Date Registered: September 08, 2014,
Last Active: September 08, 2014,
Posts: 1



 

Tibbson

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Neso said:
Wouldn't that be the only sort of accepted applicant? One with relevant experience or meets the education requirements?

No.  Allowances have been made in the past to allow reserve MPs who have completed an overseas deployment to CT into the reg force trade.  As well, remusters are also given certain allowances based upon their training and how far along they may be in the college trade.  And signing bonuses have been a thing of the past for a while now.
 

Avail

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
Schindler's Lift said:
... reserve MPs who have completed an overseas deployment to CT into the reg force trade. 

... remusters are also given certain allowances based upon their training ...

"Related experience", one might say... ;)
 

WA88

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
garb811 said:
Lol, most awesome statement ever.  You got in, you're still here, almost 7 years to this point.  You have a "bit of experience", a police foundations diploma, a Bachelor's degree, police recruiters should be drooling all over themselves if you walk in the door, but you haven't been able to get picked up by a "real" police service.  What does your statement say about yourself?

What does your posting history on this website say about you?

You've been convicted for falling asleep on duty in Afghanistan, that says enough about your character and self discipline but...  You don't do proper admin research on your own, instead you come to army.ca to have others do it for you, including something as simple as whether or not you can split MATA/PATA with your spouse.  You don't want to be reachable when on weekends, leaving your co-workers hanging if a recall happens.  You think you should have been excused a career course because you were going home for Easter, yet likely would have been the first to cry foul if an AR was done and your leaf removed for refusing to attend even though you were well past the point at which an AR is called for and refusing to attend a career course for personal reasons.  You get a job offer and want the military to continue to employ you for 30 days until it starts even though your TOS were expired and you didn't want to sign a new one, yet you are now upset the military won't waive the six month requirement to break the TOS you subsequently signed, even though D Mil C's decision to start enforcing the policy again when the Branch went yellow was widely circulated multiple times when it happened.  You expect the CAF to provide you with OTC pain meds on demand so you can have them around, "just in case".  And now it looks like you seem to think we should pay you to go to school to get a SECOND bachelors degree so you can take your commission because your first degree isn't suitable for the classification you want, yet you couldn't make the cut for officer on your first try at CFAT and think a waiver should be granted even though the whole point of the cut off line of the CFAT is to set a benchmark for who is suitable for commissioning and who isn't. 

Yet you complain about being treated as a child by the Branch.  If your real life is any reflection of what you are portraying yourself as on this website, it isn't hard to figure out why. 

You hate the Branch, we get it.  We've gotten it for a while now.  As JJT said, grow a set of balls, submit your six month release and beat it.  But you won't.  You will continue to expect us to employ you, to pay you, probably send you on gucci "police" courses to pad your resume, to cater to your other whims and be prepared to release you on the date of your choosing should you be so fortunate as to land a job on the outside.

I can feel the heat of that burn from here. Well done.
 

ResMP

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
:salute: :nod: ;D ::) - OMG that was good - I need to log on to this site more often.
 

ResMP

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
All this talk about Civilian Police Agencies taking MP Straight across. Does anyone know if the Military Police Branch has discussed or ever considered a program that recognizes civilian police training and qualifications?

I often hear the frustration from Reg Force Qualified MP's who have difficultly having their trg recognized. I am wondering what the concerns are for the opposite circumstance.

Hypothetically speaking ... lets say a civilian police officer - who is a reservist and close to retirement on the Civilian Police side - is looking to collect a Civilian Police Pension and still wants to go to the Regular Force Military Police.

What say you about the possibility of the MP Branch taking an Accredited Civilian Police Officer straight across?
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
671
Points
1,260
ResMP said:
collect a Civilian Police Pension and still wants to go to the Regular Force Military Police.

If given the option,

How many would want to go to the Regular Force Military Police?

How many would want to go to a neighbouring municipality?
There are five municipalities in the GTA. All are in the same OMERS pension plan.
http://www.omers.com/pension/employers_supplemental_plan.aspx
Training and assignments are within the borders of the municipality.
"A successful applicant will receive a credit of 80 hours of lieu time (equivalent of two weeks leave)."
"Up to and including first class constable, applicants will be accepted at their current rank."
1st Class Constable $94,524 ( Base salary, without OT, court, shift bonus, Stat Holidays, Paid Duty etc. )
Add that to a 70 per cent OMERS pension.

Disclaimer: As always,  the best source of information is Recruiting.
















 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
9
Points
530
ResMP said:
All this talk about Civilian Police Agencies taking MP Straight across. Does anyone know if the Military Police Branch has discussed or ever considered a program that recognizes civilian police training and qualifications?

I often hear the frustration from Reg Force Qualified MP's who have difficultly having their trg recognized. I am wondering what the concerns are for the opposite circumstance.

Hypothetically speaking ... lets say a civilian police officer - who is a reservist and close to retirement on the Civilian Police side - is looking to collect a Civilian Police Pension and still wants to go to the Regular Force Military Police.

What say you about the possibility of the MP Branch taking an Accredited Civilian Police Officer straight across?
This has been discussed and the general answer is "no".  BUT, there is scope for PLARs to be done, particularly if the Reservist is also a PRes MP, and has someone willing to help them with the leg work on that.
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
5,235
Points
1,110
"Military" "police"... A civilian police officer could certainly bring the latter half of the picture, but would still lack the military knowledge and training. BMQ, and the appropriate environmental indoc course, plus some MP specific duties like convoy ops and military detainee handling.
 

ResMP

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
Brihard said:
"Military" "police"... A civilian police officer could certainly bring the latter half of the picture, but would still lack the military knowledge and training. BMQ, and the appropriate environmental indoc course, plus some MP specific duties like convoy ops and military detainee handling.

garb811 said:
This has been discussed and the general answer is "no".  BUT, there is scope for PLARs to be done, particularly if the Reservist is also a PRes MP, and has someone willing to help them with the leg work on that.

This particular situation references an individual who would have 32 years MP PRes Experience (at the time of retirement) - with a couple of tours - 3 Class C contracts working MP Garrision Patrol Duties - On top of this he will have 25 years Civilian Police Experience with an accredited police service (1800+ mbrs) Civilian Police Trg would encompass both the spectrums of operational and investigative qualifications. With hopefully no blemishes on his Military Service Record.

I appreciate the requirement for BMQ, Driver TRg, etc - That makes sense - Would the Branch ever consider a compressed trg program to cover the Military Law Report writing etc for an old man that potentially has the bulk of the trg that would be taught on QL3.
 

Poppa

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
After a PLAR is done and any applicible quals granted the most likely course of action would be for the member to attend blocks of a Res Ql 3 to pick up whatever PO's are outstanding. This is something we've done out here a few times
 

ResMP

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
Thanks for the info - Can the PLAR process occur while the mbr is still in the Res?
 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
9
Points
530
ResMP said:
Thanks for the info - Can the PLAR process occur while the mbr is still in the Res?
It has to take place while the member is still PRes as it is part of the CT process.  I would advise starting to prepare the PLARs prior to the actual CT application so that it is ready to go when it is asked for.

As a CT the offer is a lot different than it is for a direct entry with no military background.  The offer message contains details such as rank on enrollment, recognized course qualifications plus the actual position/location they will be posted to so the member will know exactly what they are signing on for. 
 

BogMonty

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Hey everyone,

So I'll jump on an old thread to bring up a similar question.

I'm currently a municipal police officer looking at going MPO in probably the next year or so.

I'm guessing this trade is highly competitive and probably not taking on many numbers year to year. What do they look for? How many are typically in a class? It won't sway my decision to try but I am curious to know the landscape.

Thanks
 

ResMP

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
I dont think that it is as competitive as you might think. There has been a lot of attrition in the MP Branch from my perspective.
 
Top