• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civil schools? AVN Tech

Dk5

Inactive
Reaction score
Got a list of civil schools from the recruit office for AVN tech... What your suggestion? Where did you go? Experience?  Thanks for the input!

I'm not an AVN tech, but I did do the structures program at SAIT in Calgary.

SAIT was absolutely excellent, with top notch equipment, instructors, and facilities. A lot of the instructors were ex-military too, which should help. I paid for the program out of my own pocket, and it was worth every cent.

I can't speak highly enough about them.

I've done a lot of qualifications at a lot of different schools, and I can definitely say that out of the 6 colleges, universities, and medical schools I've been to, the aviation program at SAIT was the one who had their act together the most.

My 2 cents.

Nice thanks for the reply! I havnt called them yet to see if they have room but will for sure.. Right now college of the north Atlantic in gander 2 yr and british Columbia institute of tech (bcit) 16 month look good to me as well as confederation college 2nd ....

Went to BCIT. It was a 16 months for the whole thing. Studied Aircraft Maintenance Engineer "M" Category and it's the same stuff as AVN tech stuff. I graduated at the end of 08 and was hired on by an airline and have worked there ever since. I applied for AVN tech at the end of 2010. (Primary reserve) I recently just completed the medical and interview.

Because of previous experience, i'll be able to by-pass majority of the AVN tech training. Which i find pretty sweet. If you want to go for AVN tech, go for it! I find fixing airplanes pretty challenging and i love the trouble shooting part. Mind you the waiting list for AVN tech may be a bit long, but be patient. I was on the waiting list too, but because the base i was applying for booted some dude out, (he doesn't really show up), they went ahead with my medical and interview.

I still dont understand the progress of NCM SEP, so will CF give you wages while you are studying in the college?
Also, where can you live? Do you live in residence or the bases or wings?

If you contact your local Recruiting Centre or the National Contact Centre they will be able to provide you with much more details. The list of schools that are acceptable for subsidization under the  Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Education Plan (NCM-SEP) for any given occupation is quite short.
Basically:
Must be unconditionally accepted to an appropriate course of study
Must be enrolled
Tuition and books will be paid for
Salary is the same as any other new  Non-Commissioned Member (approx 32K/yr)
Living arrangements are according to availability on local Bases/Wings or the local economy paid for by you unless other circumstances prevail which can be searched for in the forums or clarified at the Recruiting Centre.

Back