• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civi protesters, repect and the CDS's speech merged topics

Do you think civilians have more, less or equal respect for the Forces as compared to a few years ag

• Less respect

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • More respect

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • About the same

Votes: 30 27.5%

• Total voters

jwsteele

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm an ROTP civi-u student at Carleton and I am absolutely fuming at the moment.  I just thought everyone here might want to hear what all of our highly knowledgable first and second year university students think of the CDS and the CF.  Here's the deal...my school INVITED the CDS to come and make a speech about Canada's military in today's world.  This is a big honor for the school and I am pumped to see what he has to say.  Just yesterday I passed by a group of left winged, wishy washy losers all trying to gather a mass group to disrupt the speech claiming the CDS and CF are killers and that we are becoming too American.  I wanted to one punch the first piece of shit I saw.  These stupid granola eaters have no friggin idea what they are talking about.  I hope the CDS has an ex-JTF security detail or something that would gladly smash some of their teeth in.  What the hell is wrong with these people?  They are absolutely clueless about what is really going on.  They should all be shot on sight if you ask me.

wrong attitude.
We fight, kill, and die so that these morons can continue to be morons.

"People like me do the things I do, so that people like you can continue to do the things you do."
- Johnny Michael Spann, Killed in Action (Afghanistan) 25 November, 2001

"It is the Soldier..."

;D  Humourous the way such people of "Higher Learning" are so naive of what the World is really like.  Just a suggestion....find a couple of other CF types (Reg or Res - it doesn't matter), go to a nice little pub, quaff a few ale and laugh at their stupidity.  It can be an entertaining evening.   ;D

Well said...I absolutely agree...but honestly...what the hell is wrong with these people?  Always making accusations and speaking about shit they don't know about.  Bugs the fuck outta me.  Sometimes I think I should have just enlisted so I could be away from all these hopeless people.  I don't know how I'm going to make it through 3 more years of these dorks.

Don't sweat it. The CDS can hold his own against a group of ignorant 17 - 19 year olds. My guess is that he'll even take the time to try to educate them.

jwsteele 
I feel your pain, but put it in perspective. What about the thousands of other students who aren't protesting? Betcha a lot of them share your views. Many won't, some will. Don't paint all the students with the "looney left" brush because some people feel strongly about this. There will always be a vocal minority - both left AND right. And thank gawd for that, it proves we are a free society after all.

Never been to Carleton, but at U of T I found a great many students who were willing to listen and learn what the CF was doing. Truth is many people aren't really clued in to what's happening with us, or why. So my .02 is educate them when you can.

It is a strong belief of mine that anti-war, anti-government, anti-theman sentiment is nothing more than a fashion statement.  It's all you see on MTV and hear in a lot of "punk" music today.

It's like all those kids who dress like punks but aren't, or the kids who walk around with skateboards but don't.  I honestly think that most of the people who are anti military don't even know why they are that way.  It's nothing more than a social trend I guess.

I find this belief of mine to be strongly supported by the amount of questions I get from people asking me such things as "Have you been to Iraq yet?" or "What it's like to be in iraq?"

How can anyone who considers themselves to be educated believe we are being to American when we aren't even in Iraq.  People need to come to grips with the fact that Canadian culture isn't being invaded by the US (which I think is the source of some of this ill-content) because there really isn't much culture to invade.  When you share a border with a country that has 8x the population you have and trade with them as much as we do, your going to see some striking similarities between both cultures.

To reitterate paracowboy's post here. That form you signed upon enrolment and the oath you gave means that you are bound to protect their right to protest. I got into the same argument a few years ago about a peace rally. A coworker of mine at the time had mentioned how angry and annoyed he was because of this little peace rally and march until I reminded him that he is bound to protect that right. What a boring place this would be if we all thought the same or wre gagged and prevented from the "Freedom of Expression" that is covered in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Now, as for the " It's all you see on MTV and hear in a lot of "punk" music today." remark from J. Gayson . I would suggest you listen to some old school punk, you will find the attitude was the same in the 70's and 80's with this type of music. Try listening to some Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Exploited, Dead Kennedys, and the list goes on. Hell, if you want, I can even send you some because it seems to be all I am listening to lately. Cheers.

jwsteele said:
I'm an ROTP civi-u student at Carleton ...   I wanted to one punch the first piece of crap I saw.   ...I hope the CDS has an ex-JTF security detail or something that would gladly smash some of their teeth in.   ... They should all be shot on sight if you ask me.

Sounds like you would have fit right in with the *****.  Word to the wise....coffee stains are hard to get out of a brown shirt.

I hope you don't wander the halls muttering stuff like that out loud.  Or is that what you think an Army officer is supposed to be thinking about?

MOD Edit
Inapropriate use of a derogatory term.
Lets leave that part of history in its place and not refer to other members that way

Slim
STAFF

I agree with paracowboys' trend idea.

95% of the people like that ive ever gotten into a debate about the CF with, have absolutely no supporting arguments or any reason whatsoever to hate the military, besides ridiculuous accusations like "well they kill people".

You don't get any more ignorant than that.

Simply point them to the grave of Cpl.Murphy, refer to all of good progress made in Afghanistan already, and tell them to pick up a book.

I often attempt to just ignore them now though, because it usually isnt worth the headache, especially trying to convert crowds of them.
Theyre just doing it for the sake of it, and the rest are sheep.They are almost 100% of the time, people between 15-25, and are indeed the minority.Just let them live in their own ignorance.

Not as satisfying as having them all lynched , but hey, its Canada, not the third reich =p

wrong attitude.
We fight, kill, and die so that these morons can continue to be morons.

"People like me do the things I do, so that people like you can continue to do the things you do."
- Johnny Michael Spann, Killed in Action (Afghanistan) 25 November, 2001

I'll rephrase that... I agree with that thought process.  ;D

NMPeters said:
Don't sweat it. The CDS can hold his own against a group of ignorant 17 - 19 year olds. My guess is that he'll even take the time to try to educate them.
That would be really interesting to see. CDS laying the intellectual smackdown on university hoohas who think they know a little bit.

jwsteele..
I play defence when I play ball hockey. The best part of playing defence is screwing up some show off jocks whole day when I take the ball away from him while he is all concentrated up on scoring a goal.

What does this have to do with protesters?
You have the same rights they do, and they are so intent on their protest, they won't see a counter protest coming until it knocks their stick out of their hands.
Investigate, Infiltrate, Disrupt, and then go for those beers and a good laugh.

Just a thought.

J. Gayson said:
It is a strong belief of mine that anti-war, anti-government, anti-theman sentiment is nothing more than a fashion statement.  It's all you see on MTV and hear in a lot of "punk" music today.

It's like all those kids who dress like punks but aren't, or the kids who walk around with skateboards but don't.  I honestly think that most of the people who are anti military don't even know why they are that way.  It's nothing more than a social trend I guess.

I find this belief of mine to be strongly supported by the amount of questions I get from people asking me such things as "Have you been to Iraq yet?" or "What it's like to be in iraq?"

How can anyone who considers themselves to be educated believe we are being to American when we aren't even in Iraq.  People need to come to grips with the fact that Canadian culture isn't being invaded by the US (which I think is the source of some of this ill-content) because there really isn't much culture to invade.  When you share a border with a country that has 8x the population you have and trade with them as much as we do, your going to see some striking similarities between both cultures.

You're 100% right. Many kids at my school "hate" bush. Why? They don't know either. They'd prefer to wear thier slogans and leave it at that.

It's even worse when you bring up Canada. Most of them can't even name the prime minister. Once again, they do not care.

::)

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
That would be really interesting to see. CDS laying the intellectual smackdown on university hoohas who think they know a little bit.

I would quite honestly, pay to see that happen.

Well, first of all, immature attitudes like the ones indicated by these guys at the University are not uncommon, and I tend to think they are part of the maturing process that a lot of young men and women go through. Keep in mind that most university students tend to lack the life experience of their 'worker' peers. Most don't live in the same 'world' that 'normal' people do. For most, their life revolves around ideas, learning, drinking, scraping together pizza money, and getting laid (sounds like being a private). Most don't have bosses, most usually don't have wives or kids, and most are surrounded almost exclusively by other young people in exactly the same situation. This doesn't lend itself to being exposed to a variety of viewpoints. Huge generalizations here, and there are exceptions (probably some members here), but you get the idea.

Whereas most people between the ages of 18 and say, 24 learn a whole lot about the real world, how it works, and how to get around in it, University students don't get that 'education' until they leave. In many ways, their maturation process halts at 18. Puts their views in perspective, no?

I am by no means trying to belittle students, or University education. I believe that, in short, they're just too darn busy doing the things I mentioned earlier to get this 'real world' education, but they eventually DO get it.

Punching them in the mouth for being narrow minded sheep is completely counter productive. Use your brain, not your fists, and you might actually accomplish something. By beating the snot out of them, you'll just reinforce their misconceptions of the CF and it's members.

Steal their girlfriend, it's way more rewarding.  ;D

Roger that, Ceasar. I wish my university attending son would hoist this bit of wisdom aboard !  :)

I like the responses here.  99% of the time I do my very best to keep the fact that I am in the military a secret at university, but it just pisses me off to no end.  I grew up in a military family, none of which were officers, so I know how hard the bulk of CF members work and the sacrifices they make.  My decision to join the CF was based upon this knowledge.  I liked the fact that I would be protecting Canada and Canadians and upholding their rights and freedoms.  However, these ignorant dumb shits always have to take it that extra step further.  I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to "fight, kill, and die" for these people but they really need to wake the fuck up. 

Back