• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CityNews Toronto "Invasion" Story

Flavus101

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is an absolute winner, be sure to watch the video for the full effect: http://www.citynews.ca/2017/03/21/toronto-police-apologize-flippant-tweet-military-exercises/

I really wish the police and military would support each other more.

I believe this speaks to the need to get into the public eye with more of our training. We are not going to be able to swing every hippie away from their beliefs (no matter how hard we try  >:D) but the less devoted might be willing to see the light and understand that we are not a "threat" rather we are the exact opposite.

One commentator wrote about how specific segments of the public like to keep the military in a glass "break in case of emergency" box whereby the public does not see us until we are required. We need to do our best to change that segment of the populations mentality. Exercises (done well) are paid for advertising for the military, then again that would require those exercises to be competently led which is a challenge in and of itself  :p.

Anyways, those are my immediate thoughts for the story.

This is all over my facebook.

Its rather funny.  I perhaps the unit(s) involved could have made their intentions better known, I its not surprising that is would trigger the snowflakes of the GTA. 

But perhaps these matches are a good opportunity to get out and make ourselves seen and grow a positive presence for the CAF in the GTA.

I remember a large exercises being run in Kingston and Halifax and it was all over the radio and TV news in the weeks leading up to it.

Flavus101 said:
be sure to watch the video for the full effect:

2:15 "It's never a good omen when you see military forces on the streets of your neighbourhood."

Hope they re-interview this same individual come the next snowstorm.  :)

Halifax Tar said:

Its rather funny.  I perhaps the unit(s) involved could have made their intentions better known, I its not surprising that is would trigger the snowflakes of the GTA. 

But perhaps these matches are a good opportunity to get out and make ourselves seen and grow a positive presence for the CAF in the GTA.

I remember a large exercises being run in Kingston and Halifax and it was all over the radio and TV news in the weeks leading up to it.

The main difference is that most people in Kingston and Halifax have heard of, if not seen, the folks in uniforms that work there, so it's much less surprising to see them doing military-like things in town.  Also, being Reg F bases, perhaps Kingston and Halifax have better PA contacts with the city to inform people via radio, TV, etc. 

Or, the 32 Bde PAO just dropped the ball hard.  :dunno:

Halifax Tar said:

That is where my bit about the police and military needing to communicate better with each other. There was an incident in my area where a similar type of thing occurred. An exercise was being conducted at a local park, a concerned resident called the police. The police show up with a police dog and without getting into great detail of the event, both the soldier who was bit and the dog handler share a bit of the blame for what transpired (the soldier probably shouldn't have walked towards the handler even though his hands were up and the handler probably shouldn't have been so quick to release the dog). Anyways, it just goes to show that we need to do a better job passing information between agencies and then passing that information within the agencies.

Flavus101 said:
The police show up with a police dog and without getting into great detail of the event, both the soldier who was bit and the dog handler share a bit of the blame for what transpired (the soldier probably shouldn't have walked towards the handler even though his hands were up and the handler probably shouldn't have been so quick to release the dog).

Attachments

• inquiring_minds_logo.png
    inquiring_minds_logo.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 344
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/21/military-drills-in-toronto-spark-confusion-sarcasm-online.html

Military drills in Toronto spark confusion, sarcasm online

Social media furor began when Toronto Police tweeted a public safety alert about the exercises and added “we are not being invaded.”

By Jesse WinterStaff Reporter

Tues., March 21, 2017

Canadian soldiers in the streets of Toronto caused a stir on social media Monday night.

The furor began when Toronto Police tweeted a public safety alert that soldiers were conducting drills with “training rifles” “all over (the) city” but “we are not being invaded.”

Toronto Police spokesman Const. Victor Kwong said that police had begun receiving calls from concerned citizens near the Moss Park Armoury on Queen Street East.

Captain Christopher Wattie, the public affairs officer for 32 Canadian Brigade Headquarters, said the drills in question were most likely 13-kilometre readiness marches carried out as part of soldiers’ routine fitness testing which happen occasionally around the city.

Though there was no actual war to speak of, that didn’t stop Torontonians on Twitter from launching their own attacks.

“This could be traumatizing to people with histories of trauma/ PTSD,” tweeted Melanie Roscoe, who said she was in contact with a group of refugee sponsors and worried people from war torn countries may be triggered by the site of armed soldiers on Canadian streets.

“Don’t be dramatic. They’re your Army. They protect you. Wave hello to them,” replied Keith Maxwell.

The debate, carried about mostly by people who appeared to have neither witnessed nor been impacted directly by Monday night’s drills seemed to focus on whether “rubber rifles” are, in fact, even a thing.

Keith Maxwell, professing to have spent 41 years in the military, claimed that the army doesn’t have “training rifles.”

“Soldiers train with real weapons,” Maxwell claimed.

Capt. Wattie, however, says the military does train with what they call “rubber rifles” as part of the fitness marches. They are the same size, shape and weight as regular rifles but are entirely inert.

“They also don’t bounce,” Wattie said, with a chuckle.

This isn’t the first time that Canadian troops have caused some tongue-in-cheek commentary on Twitter.

In October, Canadian Forces members of the 32nd Combat Engineer Regiment conducted shoreline landings at three points along the city’s waterfront, prompting much the same response from Toronto Police.

“Canadian forces conducting armed simulated training exercises in the Beaches area,” Toronto Police tweeted.

Again, “we are not being invaded.”

“Are you sure?” replied a twitter user named Happy Traveller, “Maybe they’re our neighbours to the south trying to run away from election results.”

“Everyone calm down,” wrote Krinkelz, “they’re just here for the smores!”

I really wish I had access to Twitter.  Some of these comments!  I always love the people who say how military in the streets will be traumatizing for immigrants.  How about using it as a learning experience, that our military is nothing like some of the other forces around the world.  :facepalm:

Toronto? Well they should have been carrying snow shovels.  Problem solved.

In October, Canadian Forces members of the 32nd Combat Engineer Regiment conducted shoreline landings at three points along the city’s waterfront, prompting much the same response from Toronto Police.

Oct 23, 2016

Canadian army storms Toronto's western beaches

Toronto police quip: 'We are not being invaded'
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6926032-canadian-army-storms-toronto-s-western-beaches/

Strike said:
I really wish I had access to Twitter.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/100990#

It's a DWAN thing.  Guess I could set up the BB, but I'd like to avoid using that as much as possible. lol

mariomike said:
2:15 "It's never a good omen when you see military forces on the streets of your neighbourhood."

Hope they re-interview this same individual come the next snowstorm.  :)
Interesting comment at 2:15. Here in Calgary lots of support for military folks during the 2013 flood. Seeing highlanders walking down my street was reassuring TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandyson said:
Toronto? Well they should have been carrying snow shovels. 

Once in my lifetime.

Only a week ago 2,000 members of the National Guard deployed into New York City for a snowstorm warning. A warning only.

The storm bypassed the city, but the troops were deployed into NYC anyway as a routine precaution.

Strike said:
It's a DWAN thing.  Guess I could set up the BB, but I'd like to avoid using that as much as possible. lol

you missed the tweet by one woman who said her neighbours had been bombed by Canadian troops overseas and were very traumatized by seeing Canadian troops in the streets.

Lightguns said:
you missed the tweet by one woman who said her neighbours had been bombed by Canadian troops overseas and were very traumatized by seeing Canadian troops in the streets.

But they moved to Canada anyway?  Yeah, right.

Chris Pook said:
Are "training rifles" really a thing?

Yes.

They are copies of the original C7 (fixed stock, carrying handle, and all-black) made of hard solid rubber with metal barrels. They are used for BFTs and such.

Chris Pook said:
Are "training rifles" really a thing?
Yes, or at least, they used to be. Hard rubber rifles with steel barrels and front sights. No-operational, of course, and full weight. I believe the thought was to save wear and tear on the real rifles for training activities like running obstacle courses etc..

See also,

Rubber rifles
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22rubber+rifles%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hdXSWMOqNsGC8Qf0zIn4BA&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1

Lightguns said:

I always find it curious that it is white people who are longtime residents of a city who state "my neighbours were traumatized" and we never get to hear from the neighbours.

FSTO said:
I always find it curious that it is white people who are longtime residents of a city who state "my neighbours were traumatized" and we never get to hear from the neighbours.

Exactly. Virtue signalling by a bunch of idiots.

Back