• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CISM-Conseil International du Sport Militaire 2011

Newapplicant78

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.rio2011.mil.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=850:canadians-approve-facilities-that-will-receive-athletes-in-rio-2011-games&catid=60:news&Itemid=96

Canadians approve facilities that will receive athletes in Rio 2011 Games
Qua, 02 de Fevereiro de 2011 09:20
The Canadian delegation ended on Friday (28th) their visit in Rio de Janeiro. For three days, the group made up of Denis Gaboury, International Sports Manager of the Personnel and Family Support Programs and Services of the Canadian Forces, and National Sport Manager, Sandra Campbell, knew the facilities that will hold the 5th Military World Games Rio 2011, next July. They were also in the three athletes´ villages that are being built by the Operational Planning Committee (CPO) to accommodate about 6,000 athletes.  "My message to the Brazilians is of thankfulness. The organizing committee is working hard to make this the largest military competition of all time. I worked in three other editions of the other Military World Games and I see that Brazil is bringing the quality of the competition to another level, being ahead in terms of organization and, especially, quality of venues and accommodation for athletes. I was really impressed", said Gaboury.
Meet the sports facilities of Rio 2011 games

The Canadian delegation visited all the facilities of Rio 2011 Games and the three Athletes´ Villages. According to Gaboury, the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center, the HSBC Arena and João Havelange Olympic Stadium, also known as Engenhão which will host the Opening and Closing ceremonies as well as the athletics events and football games, will be the greatest attractions of the 5th MWG.

"I knew Maracanãzinho, which is a great gymnasium, but did not know the HSBC Arena. It is a wonderful gymnasium. The water park, located beside it is also excellent", he said.

"We will make presentations to the team leader and all the coaches so that our athletes can have the best preparation possible for the Games. Also, we will send the material we gathered to the Caribbean nations which can not afford to visit the facilities of the host country", said Campbell, anxious about the beginning of the competition. "I'm curious to see the full “Engenhão”. It must be an unforgettable experience".

Canada will fight for medals in five categories

Canada will compete in ten of the 20 sports that make up the program of the 5th Military World Games Rio 2011 which will be held on July 16-24 in Rio de Janeiro. It is estimated that about 190 people from that country enter the competition, including 140 athletes, the largest delegation in the history of the country in the competition.

"We have very strong teams in fencing and taekwondo. I believe that we will fight for titles in both sports", said Gaboury, adding that the country will fight for the podium in five sports. The other eight sports that will have representatives are: track and field, basketball, football, swimming, shooting, triathlon, sailing and volleyball.

Learn more about the sports in Rio 2011 Games

However, in team sports, Canadian´s place is not guaranteed yet and it depends on the ranking to be released by the International Military Sports Committee (CISM). The country will not have representation in the five typically military sports that are part of the Games: the Naval, Aeronautical and Military Pentathlon, as well as orienteering and parachuting.

IMHO, a poorly written article, or maybe just "lost in translation".  I like how it says Canadians "approve" facilities.  Really?  Did they take a PMed Tech to inspect safety, hygiene and sanitation?  An Engineer to inspect infrastructure?

PMedMoe said:
  Did they take a PMed Tech to inspect safety, hygiene and sanitation?  An Engineer to inspect infrastructure?

I wasnt aware that was necessary.

CDN Aviator said:
I wasnt aware that was necessary.

Nor am I.  I was debating the use of the word "approve".  Seems like a waste of money to send them there to "approve" the facilities.  What would happen if they didn't approve?  Would we not send anyone to the games?  Highly unlikely.......

what a huge waste of military money that has no benefit.

Same as Regional and National Sports program.

The PSP money should be filtered down to unit level activities to build teamwork and morale and follow there own DAOD's.

Agree...approval trips......?

HFXCrow said:
what a huge waste of military money that has no benefit.

Same as Regional and National Sports program.

Lets get rid of weekends and holidays so we get our moneys worth out of the troops, right?  ::)

Exactly.  All work and no play as they say.

If you were trying to imply approval trips were a waste of money, you should maybe link all your thoughts together in a paragraph. Throwing one line sentences makes it seems like they are 4 separate statements.

I've also re-read your post, and it still seems to me that you're implying we cancel the CF Sports Program and give the units money to do with it what they please.

Then apparently I've paid enough attention to detail and stand by my sarcasm. I think we should be encouraging talented athletes to consider the CF as a career, instead of having a platoon full of out of shape people being paid at BMQ to do PT all day, or the hundreds that cannot complete a BFT that don't have a medical condition that limits their ability to do it.

I can certainly see HFX's point with regards to money spent on the participation in some things.  Money is finite and some of the activities are very inclusive and don't involve a large number of members participating.  I am certainly not calling for such draconian measures as cancel it all, but we as an organization have to take a sober look what activities we fund and ensure that it is to the benefit of as many members as possible.  Our budget is not going to get bigger anytime soon.

PuckChaser said:
Then apparently I've paid enough attention to detail and stand by my sarcasm. I think we should be encouraging talented athletes to consider the CF as a career, instead of having a platoon full of out of shape people being paid at BMQ to do PT all day, or the hundreds that cannot complete a BFT that don't have a medical condition that limits their ability to do it.

I think we can do better by just enforcing the low standards we have now rather than just allow people to abuse the system.  That combined with a view too improving physical fitness mindset within both leadership and the soldiers would go a long way.  FWIW I think the initial steps have already been undertaken and PSP has greatly improved their overall focus to help soldiers get in shape.  How it will play out over the next few years is a matter to be seen.

Here's heresy:  Workouts/workups fro CISM should be on your own time.  Travel to and from competition and rations and accomodations provided while at the competition.

Competitors are on annual leave for the competition - unless you place in the top 5, in which case you get your leave back.

Of course, this would thin out the number of competitors...

Are we really talking about thining out CF competitors for CISM? The article says Canada only participates in 10 of 20 events... I don't think we have an issue with how many people we send. As well, CF Sports is always at the discretion of the CoC. Not pulling your weight? Not going to CISM.

I can think of far bigger things that are wasting our money in the CF than CISM sports.

PuckChaser said:
Are we really talking about thining out CF competitors for CISM? The article says Canada only participates in 10 of 20 events... I don't think we have an issue with how many people we send. As well, CF Sports is always at the discretion of the CoC. Not pulling your weight? Not going to CISM.

I can think of far bigger things that are wasting our money in the CF than CISM sports.

I am not talking about CISM specifically but rather addressing HFX point of divesting ourselves of all those types of sporting events.  Some may provide great value to the CF and we should keep them, others not so much.  The metrics of how to measure value is where it gets sticky, some may have value because of the maple leaf weight behind them.  The sports version of the "opinion of the highest rank is the general consensus".

In my humble opinion. (and I play unit level sports)

The CF Sports Program needs to have a more pragmatic approach with resources diverted to unit and sub-level activities and sports.
Nationals and Regional sports to me has no value but creating a have and have not mentality. I attend meetings where our budgets are slashed and the attitude do more with less is the underlying current.

Sending a 20 person ice hockey team from Halifax to Borden (25k est) for a 5 day jolly including TD, Flights, meals etc etc is where our valuable money should be not be going. These resources should be directed to the unit level (sports days, adventure training, fitness clinics) that encourage team building and morale for everybody.

CISM in my opinion is a waste of time and money, Canada is a leader on the international stage. We are visible!

Sending three PSP people to Brazil to "inspect" a venue........priceless

HFXCrow,

Even if this money was sent to the units, when would these units find the time to do all these activities?

From what you've been posting you seem to have more of a dislike for those athletes who have worked hard to find themselves competing on an international stage which has translated into a dislike for the CISM program itself.

Listen.  There are a lot of CF personnel who like to compete in sports.  Some of them are really good and have aspirations beyond house league competitions.  What are the CF's options?  Either provide them with an outlet and support them or risk losing them because the athlete can't get the time off or administrative support.

I completely disagree with your post.

I have no bias against elite athletes or athletes in general. I think that scare resources should be channeled to the many and not the few.

when did it become the CF's mandate to sponsor elite athletes? 

Strike said:
Listen.  There are a lot of CF personnel who like to compete in sports.  Some of them are really good and have aspirations beyond house league competitions.  What are the CF's options?  Either provide them with an outlet and support them or risk losing them because the athlete can't get the time off or administrative support.

Umm - if your hobby is more important than your job, quit your job and find sponsors to support you.  The CF's mandate is not to support athletes.

How far do we take this seeming need to support individual's self-actualization?  If Cpl Bloggins wants to write a novel, do we give him paid leave time to do so?  Send him on TD to investigate and research?  What about Maj Jones, who wants to set the Guinness Book or World Records standard for longest fingernails?  Who are we to stand in the way of his dreams?

I'll go back to my earlier comment:  Since there's no will to cut these frills, why not make the athletes do their training on their own time?  Why not require competitions to be done on annual leave - with a refund on leave if you successfully place - reinforce success!

DP -- The difference between my example and yours is that there is generally a time limit (age factor) with elite athletes.  So, if an athlete decides to leave the CF because we didn't support him we end up losing someone who was more than willing to put in the years after they're done competing.  Sure, it may only be a person here or there, but it's still an asset that's lost.

CISM (and the CF Sports org as a whole) is also a great recruiting tool.  Three members of the National TKD team joined the reserves because of our presence at civilian events.  Some have even contemplated a career in the forces when they finish competing.  I recall a conversation with an Olympian during a tournament where she said she was even considering joining the Regs in the next couple of years, partly because she likes what she sees from the CF athletes - attitude, drive, etc.

Another offshoot to CISM is the affect it has on the Canadian and International sports programs.  MANY sports adjust their rules and regulations based on how CISM runs their sports.  I can't speak specifically for other sports, but CISM TKD made several introductions to competition (instant replay, electronic scoring, ring size, etc) that have been adopted by the World Taekwondo Federation.

Finally, again in the case of TKD, were in not for CISM I would probably still be fighting for my black belt.  You see, CISM TKD has resulted in the CF TKD Association, which created standards in belt testing for CF TKD practitioners.  This means that, no matter where I go, a TKD school knows what standards I test to and I don't have to start essentially from scratch.  My testing is arranged through CF TKD and conducted by them.

Do I think CISM Canada is the be all and end all?  Hell no.  They have problems.  The biggest one being the lack of CF presence when they're organizing events.  Don't get me started on that one.  ::)  But does the organization provide a useful service?  I would like to think so.

Back