• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CIC to Canadian Rangers

bLUE fOX

Reaction score
Hello all.

To start with, this is my current situation. I have recently returned from Kandahar after a seven month stint with SNC Lavalin PAE. Prior to that I was a CIC officer with seven years experience, having completed BOQ, MOC (Sea), LTQ, cadet unit supply officer course and assorted driving courses.  Now that I am back in Canada, I am currently involved in a hiring process with the Correctional Service of Canada for a position at their jail in Grand Cache Alberta. Presently, there is no cadet corps in Grand Cache, but there is a Junior Canadian Ranger Patrol.

My first question is, is it possible to be involved with the JCR as a CIC officer, or does one have to transfer to the Canadian Rangers? I am not apposed to doing that, as the few people I know who are involved with the rangers speak very highly of it, but I'd rather stay navy if at all possible.

Secondly, if i did transfer to the Rangers, how would that work exactly? To the best of my knowledge, there are no commissioned Rangers, so what would happen to the status of my commission? I've heard tell that it can be "put on hold," but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

and finally, IF, and i understand it's a big if, but if my commission were to be put on hold and I were to want to apply to a CSTC for what ever reason, would my commission be "reactivated?" or would I even be allowed to apply?

Any information you folks would be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Short answer yes. The JCR program and Cadet program are run out of the same office in NDHQ.
that being said contact the local Detachment for Alberta and get the most up to date answers. now if for what ever reason you can't work with them as a CIC just go to the sup reserve and get hired at a CSTC from the sup.

Back