• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CIC dress reg's

dogger1936

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all.

I've searched and found nothing concrete.

Been seeing a bunch of CIC officers here at my new post. Great cats looking to help kids. One guy a captain in army uniform was wearing cadet glider pilot wings. Does anyone have any regulations on this? As well seeing guys wearing St.john ambulance medals with army CF. Is that proper? Do CIC officers have the same dress reg's as reg and reserve officers?

Not looking to be an ass...but that whole never pass a fault thing....

if anyone can help it would be great.

dogger1936 said:
Hey all.

I've searched and found nothing concrete.

Been seeing a bunch of CIC officers here at my new post. Great cats looking to help kids. One guy a captain in army uniform was wearing cadet glider pilot wings. Does anyone have any regulations on this? As well seeing guys wearing St.john ambulance medals with army CF. Is that proper? Do CIC officers have the same dress reg's as reg and reserve officers?

Not looking to be an ***...but that whole never pass a fault thing....

if anyone can help it would be great.

They have the same dress regs and the glider pilot wings are authorized for wear by CIC that are so qualified.

Thanks.

So far I've only found that they are authorised while the CIC officer is taking part in a flying program? If you have written info please send!

St. johns ambulance medals.....I'm guessing thats a no-no?

Wow! Thank you both very much! I'm glad I didnt go off half cocked as I almost did. I was 100% WRONG ON ALL COUNTS!

dogger1936 said:
So far I've only found that they are authorised while the CIC officer is taking part in a flying program?

They are authorized for wear if the individual is qualified. The person does not have to be flying or on a flying course.

From CFP 265:

Qualified members of the Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) wear only one flying badge in the following precedence:

a. CF aircrew badges;
b. Air Cadet Pilot Badge; or
c. Air Cadet Glider Pilot Badge

Keep in mind that the medals worn on the CF uniform are part of the Canadian Honours System (note that this is not the Canadian Forces Honours System) which is managed by the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall.  Although the CF/DND is consulted and has input into what makes it into the Honours System, they are not the final arbiters.  In short, if an order, decoration or medal is part of the Canadian Honours System (and the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem is), then it can and should be worn (in the correct order of precedence) on a CF unifrom.

The only thing over which the CF has direct control is the manner in which they are mounted (i.e. all medals must now be court-mounted). 

CDN Aviator said:

Interesting.  I was given to understand (and this may have been a few years ago) that one did not need to be mounted.  Mind you, if the CF is paying for it.......who am I to argue?  ;)

dogger1936 said:
St. johns ambulance medals.....I'm guessing thats a no-no?
dangerboy said:
It depends, if you are talking about The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem.  Then that is allowed:
Service Medal of the Most Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem is also authorized in the Canadian Honours Chart.

I believe we're talking about the Lifesaving Medal (award) here. Both the Order of St John, and the Service Medal are authorized for wear. The remainder are not.

ModlrMike said:
I believe we're talking about the Lifesaving Medal (award) here. Both the Order of St John, and the Service Medal are authorized for wear. The remainder are not.

The Life Saving Medals of the Order of St. John can be worn on the CF uniform even though they are not included in the order of precedence for Canadian honours.  The wear of similar such medals was discussed in a post I made a couple of months ago in another thread.

Blackadder1916 said:
. . . . . . .

There are "non-official" medals that can be worn with the CF uniform.  QR&O 18.12 refers.
18.12 – NON-MILITARY DECORATIONS AND
MEDALS

(1) No officer or non-commissioned member when in
uniform shall wear a non-military decoration or medal, or
the ribbon representing any such decoration or medal,
except:

(a) the Albert Medal, the Edward Medal, a Board of
Trade Medal, a Life Saving Medal of the Order of St.
John of Jerusalem;

(b) the Medals of the Royal Humane Society, the
Royal Canadian Humane Association Medal, a Medal
of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution; and

(c) a decoration or medal awarded by or on behalf of
a foreign government.

(2) The decorations and medals mentioned in
subparagraph (1)(a) are classified as official and those
mentioned in subparagraphs (1)(b) and (c) are classified
as non-official.

(3) Only one official and one non-official decoration or
medal, or the ribbon representing the decoration or
medal, may be worn for one act of gallantry.

(M)

The bravery and lifesaving medals awarded by societies, associations, etc are (or were) traditionally worn on the right breast as they did not emanate from a "fount of honour" (The Queen or her predecessors in Canada's case) and thus are not included in the order of precedence for Canadian orders, decorations and medals.  I recall seeing an official reference about the wear of these medals on the right breast, however I have been unable to find mention in any of the current references available online.  (I thought it was in the quoted QR&O, but it may have been amended or perhaps I'm mistaken about where I saw it.)

Years ago I served with a fellow officer who had received one such medal (he also had a M.B.)  He wore the ribbon on the right side when in service dress (with both tunic and shirtsleeve orders of dress), and probably wore the medal when the occasion called for it.  I don't specifically recall whether there was a miniature version for wear with mess dress, but if there was, he would have had it.

As an example of the wear of such awards, here is a link to an article about the awarding of Royal Canadian Humane Association medals to several people, including members of the RCMP.
http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=707&languageId=1&contentId=11054

As can be seen in the photo that accompanied the article, the medal is clearly worn on the right breast (and not just by the uniformed recipients but by all).

17226_MDOfficersHonoured.jpg

Back