• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christmas is coming, post gift ideas here.

Honestly, take a look into the medicine cabinet or wherever she keeps her beauty products. Take note of specific perfumes and stuff she regularly uses and buy that. You can't go wrong. Or if she constantly wears a certain perfume, buy her the hand cream or something from that scent. Good luck.

Well when I ask for baking stuff I mean it!  :D  I probably can't give you any good ideas, because apparently she'll only want typical girl gifts, and I never ask for 'girly' stuff.  For example, this year my list has: weights/exercise equipment, stuff for my horse, winter boots, DVDs, etc. - Oh, and another dog!  ;D
I don't like jewellery much, flowers aren't my thing, and I think I'd be tempted to give away a day at the spa, lol.
One thing I'll agree with everyone else on... if you want to buy clothes gift certificates are safest!

Good luck!

c1984ml said:
Does she have any hobbies?   What about a new book?   As for appliances, if it was a kitchen aid mixer (in red!) it wouldn't really count as an appliance! ;D

Good luck!

Funny, I got my wife a kitchen aid mixer last year using exactly this logic.  I mean this was the Binford 2000 of kitchen mixers.  Trust me it is still considered a kitchen appliance.  Be very careful in this area.  It didn't go over well for me. ;D

I told hubby to buy me some Mary Kay stuff, slippers and flannel pj's...girlie girls like spa stuff(especially stuff with a guarantee like MK)

ya, back to the appliance thing........

You guys say even if they request it (baking stuff, kitchen appliances etc.) its not a good idea? I was thinking about getting the girlfriend a espresso machine. Not a professional one or anything. The Starbucks bill is looks like a car payment! Yay/Nay???

R

Espresso machines are not appliances.  They are yuppie life support systems.

You can go to those european food speciality shops and pick up those expresso makers you put on the stove for a fairly decent price, depending on the size.  Don't buy from starbucks!

cheers

PV

Mike_R23A,

Of course a sliding compound mitre saw.  I want one with a laser too.  What's the point of having a mitre saw if its not sliding?? 

My cordless drill is one of my favourite things.  I don't know why more people don't like power tools!
I'm also interested in one of those small generators to keep my fish tank warm when the power inevitably goes out.  Already had a scare this year but it was only out for 2 hours.  A few more and I'd have several hundred dollars of dead fish floating around.

brin11 said:
Mike_R23A,

Of course a sliding compound mitre saw.   I want one with a laser too.   What's the point of having a mitre saw if its not sliding??  

My cordless drill is one of my favourite things.   I don't know why more people don't like power tools!
I'm also interested in one of those small generators to keep my fish tank warm when the power inevitably goes out.   Already had a scare this year but it was only out for 2 hours.   A few more and I'd have several hundred dollars of dead fish floating around.

Well if I still worked hardware at Home Depot I could hook you up, but I traded in my orange apron for CADPAT BDU's!  ;D

Seriously though Home Depot gift cards make great gifts, even for the ladies, especially since the whole "While You Were Out" and "Trading Spaces" craze began. Always had a great reaction to those in the stocking...

I go with gift cards for the most part.

Works wonderfully!

The home depot gift cards are great for those into home improvements. That's what we bought for my inlaws since they bought a new house about 2 years ago and have alot of reno's on the go.

Gift cards are great for me to send home to family. Canada post charges an arm and a leg (and my first born) to send packages so a cheque or a gift card is the easiest thing to send.  >:D

I tend towards enjoying gifts that are frivolous and that I would never spend my money on because there are always more important things.

With that in mind you could arrange for her to have some sort of service performed for her. You could have molly maids come or arrange for catering or give her a trip to see a friend or relative out of town. If you have dinner trains in your area I hear those are very romantic.

Definitely sending flowers but that's in addition to the main gift. Send them to her where other women will get to ooh and ahh over them too such as at work.

Find a sonnet that reminds you of her and your love for her and then write it out in your finest handwriting on some really fancy paper and then frame it. Make sure you give credit to the author at the bottom too. you wouldn't want her to accidentally think that you were naturally poetic and put you on the spot. You could even write her a love letter. Tell her about all the things you love about her and how much she means to you.

Make a DVD movie of her life so far. Set it to music and invite her friends and family over to watch it for her birthday. Use pictures from the photo album or ask her relatives and friends to borrow pictures and scan them.

With everyone on the gift cards(can't agree with you more camochick.....it makes my cry at the post office, which is why this is the first year I clued in and went the gift card way :) )

Hmmm....what about a "gift certificate" for something she wouldn't normally do(ie, weekend away with the girls where you keep the house in order and keep the kiddies from escaping, or a night out).

I would LOVE something like that.  ;D

Frame a really great picture of you two in the early days that hasn't been seen in a while.  Black and white pictures are always classy.  Hope my guy is cruising this thread!

I asked for a small food processor one year and got it. I love it. I also like cooking, so there you go. I think that when it comes to appliances, it has to be something she likes, something she asks for, and something that is not the main present. An appliance and more frivolous present makes a wonderful gift.

Cheers.

HIJACK ALERT!

Just a related question: the individual I got for the secret santa is a difficult buy. He doesn't smoke or drink and he already has tons of aftermarket kit (Kev would like him.) What seems to be a good gift for someone that gives hints and signs like a stone wall?

Hijack end.

Mickey said:
HIJACK ALERT!

Just a related question: the individual I got for the secret santa is a difficult buy. He doesn't smoke or drink and he already has tons of aftermarket kit (Kev would like him.) What seems to be a good gift for someone that gives hints and signs like a stone wall?

Hijack end.

A gift certificate or gift card for a favorite store...

my best suggestion.

Hmmm... I asked my GF what she wanted, and she asked me... and we were both stumped.  So we went shopping together twice.  Both times pointing to things and product lines we liked.  Trying on clothes and writing down sizes.

Not terribly romantic, but hell, shopping, without complaining, saying she looked hot in front of other women, holding the purse - has severely reduced my gift buying requirements this fiscal... er, I mean FESTIVE season.

Of course, then all the little, pretty smelling Body Shop stuff she wanted - great stocking stuffers! - she took my discount card and bought for herself.  D'oh! 

Guess I shouldn't have told her that, as a rule, I don't buy soap for people.  It's too much of a suggestion that you find someone "unclean" - at least that's what I think.

tlm.

"Hey love, what do you want this year?"
"Anything from you will make me happy"

aaahhahahaa...oh the poor girl.

Back