• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christmas in flak jackets -by Rick Mercer

Thats two "Rick's" in the running for Prime Minister - Hillier and Mercer.

I am glad that they made the effort to speak to those who would otherwise miss out... Good form, all around.  :salute:

The Rick and Rick show is always good fun.  That article put a tear in my eye.  We are so lucky to have folks like Mercer and Hillier around.  I think it makes serving in such an awful place, so far from home, just a bit more bearable when they are around.
I can tell you, Mercer had a great time and he was quite honored to be able to travel and see the troops.

Both of them (Rick & Rick) are class acts.

I cannot think of one CDS who has done the same.  Or one comedian.

God bless both of them.

Gen Hiller is the finest CDS we've had in my 23 years, bar none!! And Rick Mercer has always been a great supporter of the forces.  :salute:

I am impressed that they went "outside the wire" to spend time with the guys on the pointy end .....

It usually seems that these visits by diplomats, VIPs and other celebrities stay in the rear areas .... but this trip out to the forward operating locations was a great gesture ..

:salute:

Globesmasher said:
I am impressed that they went "outside the wire" to spend time with the guys on the pointy end .....

It usually seems that these visits by diplomats, VIPs and other celebrities stay in the rear areas .... but this trip out to the forward operating locations was a great gesture ..

:salute:
IIRC, PM Harper went outside the wire on his his visit there. 

I would submit that having Mercer as head of CBC would be as good if not better for the CF than having him as PM.  8)

[edited to note that as head of CBC the next step would be GG - okay he's not female but he does fit the "ex-CBC" requirement]

Rick Mercer is for Canadian soldiers what Bob Hope once was for American soldiers.

Hillier is the first CDS I can remember being proud of. I don't know much about it but he seems like exactly what Canada needs as CDS in these times.

They both have my respect for life.

I'll be the first one at the local polling station when either of em runs for PM  ;D

As Infantry_wannabe said, Hillier exactly who Canada needs as CDS in these times of war.. a soldier who knows what soldiers do and what soldiers need, both in equipment and on the morale side of the house.  I remember being really impressed with Lew Mackenzie when I joined the Army, I even have an autographed copy of his book, but Hillier impresses me as a "boss".. I respect him.

And to add to the growing list, I too would vote for either one of these two for PM!!

+1 Infantry_wannabe. Mercer has always openly supported the forces. I remember when he used his air time to show the troops in Bosnia and again to play around RMC. Hillier is a hard charger and very common sense. Up the Ricks!

Back