• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

choice of insoles

onecat

Inactive
Reaction score
I was looking at insoles today, and I wasn‘t sure which would be best for CF use, during Basic? Is there a type that works well with CF combat? Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Anything but the issue insoles! Something with good arch support and some cushioning is what you‘ll want. Spencos are pretty popular (and what the MIR gives you if your feet hurt!), but some of the Dr Scholls work boot insoles work well too.

I personally prefer the Spencos to the Dr. Scholls, the ones i have tried anyways. The spencos with the orange bottoms seem to have pretty good arch support, and if they dont fit your boots you can cut them down at the front anyways.

If you have your boots, bring them with you to the store and try different one until you find the right ones.

However, you may still need to ‘adjust‘ the insoles as there are a lot more boot sizes than sizes for insoles.

Beware of insoles that will make your feet sweat, or ones that will cause the top of your foot to rub against the "roof" of your boot (i.e. if there‘s too much arch support - recently, I had some orthotic supports made for me, and the podiatrist was more concerned about keeping them short enough in height ... but in the end, they were useless since they didn‘t have enough height to be effective ... sigh ...).

Spenco are indeed issued by the MIR, but ... remember - we usually get kit from the "lowest bidder" ...

Once upon a time I had shinsplints, and an Airborne buddy clued me in about re-soling combat boots with Vibram - now our wet weather boots have Vibram soles, and if the Army gives you orthotics they‘ll also pay for you to get Vibram soles on your ordinary cbt boots (it only took a little over 20 years for the Army to catch up ...)
You can also get Vibram insoles, but the best advice has already been given - take your boots with you to the store, and get something comfortable.

Also - you‘ll notice we get two pairs of insoles with our wet weather boots - that‘s so you can alternate them, and dry them out.
If you buy insoles, make sure you remove them each night - if your boots ever get too wet, you can take paper towels and ball them up into the toes to remove some of the moisture, but then remember to take the paper towels out before you fall asleep so that air can get into your boots overnight.
Good luck.

Even having worked in an MIR I still don‘t use the Spenco‘s insoles. I really like the Dr Scholl‘s Sport Insoles as they have a lot of cushioning. They‘re also more absorbant. I tried the gel ones, but they had a tendancy to explode in my boot, and that was a huge pain to clean up.

what about the new gortex boots? i just got them a month ago should i bother getting insoles, the issue ones seem nice to me with the heel pad and fuzzy insulation. what does everyone else have in their gortex boots?

I use super-feet insoles

http://www.superfeet.com/content/index.html

They are great, a little pricey, but in my opinion well well worth it. If you take a look at them, they seem to be constructed much better then a lot of insoles, out there. I swear by them. I have never had any problems with my feet at all.

Stu

Back