• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Glad to see a majority in the House finally voted in favour of Johnston stepping down as special rapporteur.

Glad to see a majority in the House finally voted in favour of Johnston stepping down as special rapporteur.

The only honourable thing for Mr. Johnston to do now is resign. How can he possibly go forward when the majority of Parliament has no confidence?

Or will he continue to Giuliani his reputation?

The only honourable thing for Mr. Johnston to do now is resign. How can he possibly go forward when the majority of Parliament has no confidence?

He has made it clear that, as he was tasked by the Government and not Parliament, he doesnt have to. He's staying until his mandate is completed.

Essentially saying "Screw you, will of the people; I work for Trudeau.."

The fact he is still continuing with this after a very clear and consistent conflict of interest screams "Patsy" to me. He's going to be the fall guy so the LPC and the Trudeau Foundation come out of this unscathed.

Makes me wonder what kind of dirt they have on Mr. Johnston to have an otherwise honourable man, who is a constitutional scholar no less, stoop so low....

He won't step down. If he does Justin will appoint another apple polisher in his place and drag the process on til...when it is convenient to bring it up again.

An appropriate new term you’ve coined here…to Giuliani. I can think of quite a few politicians to whom that could apply.

The more I read about the targeting of O’Toole, the more I think think the United Front had a hand in sewering his leadership.

It would not surprise me in the least if there was nefarious goings on within certain organizations - the complete organization may not know but certain individuals do know and are complicit in the take down of public figures. I will call that for what it is in my mind - traitorous. If any Canadian actively and willingly cooperated with foreign agents to take down an individual they should be charged.

Is there an actual offence though? It seems there’s a lot of collude-y unpatriotic shit that aren’t actually crimes.

Our laws need to be updated for the new threats.

We also need independent special prosecutors.

It would not surprise me in the least if there was nefarious goings on within certain organizations - the complete organization may not know but certain individuals do know and are complicit in the take down of public figures. I will call that for what it is in my mind - traitorous. If any Canadian actively and willingly cooperated with foreign agents to take down an individual they should be charged.

If two people know, it's not a secret. It's a given, every party has a research/attack squad. They spend their time talking to old friends, school chums, etc looking for even the slightest impropriety in the targets life. They look at how a story can be twisted and promoted run it by the boss and make commercials. If a minister or PM need someone out of the way, they just shift the squad into high gear, drop all else and "Give me something to hang the son of a bitch with." Politicians are in the game for one thing. Power. Raw, ego twisting power. Pay, stature, pensions, whatever are all secondary. Add that to the psyche of a narcissistic psychopath, and you have real danger. Three parties have their share of the odd millionaire, not so with the liberals.Three parties, more or less, are owned by the paying members. Not so the liberals. The LPC belongs to the Laurentien Elites. The Chretiens, Martin's, Raes, Mulroney, Irvings, Desmarais, Johnsons, SNC and Power Corp. All of them multi millionaires. Trudeau fils has made his bones as PM and is now a made man. And all the other millionaires attached to the group. Paying members of the LPC are looked at like their back bench. You are nothing but a vote. The LE's are up to their eyeballs in Red China and the Middle East, investment, quid pro quo and yes, access to the king makers. The business that has to do financial policies like resources, banks and insurance, foreign oil (the LEs have massive shares in mideast oil, which is why we keep buying it and killing the competition here at home) are set in a chateu around a fireplace and brandy. If there is money to be made and influence to give/buy, by legislating it, the workers bees in parliament make it happen. Canada is not a country to the LPC and the Laurentien Elites, it's a commodity.

They don't want this investigation. There's too much a chance that their other ties to Red China may get exposed.

He's going to keep Johnson on, ignoring calls from Singh for the next four weeks, summer shutdown, back to see where things are going to go for September-October probably porogue, and head into an election cycle.

Only my 2 cents.

Trudeau and the Liberals must be scared shitless at what may come out.

LILLEY: MPs must call Trudeau's bluff on inquiry and force an election

Parliament has voted for a second time to call for a public inquiry into China’s interference in our democracy. For a second time, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is ignoring the will of Parliament and refusing to call an inquiry, saying that the investigation headed up by his good friend David Johnston is enough.

While Trudeau is the prime minister, he leads a minority government and the majority of elected members in the House of Commons have not only called for an inquiry twice now, but for Johnston, his special rapporteur, to be shown the door.

In refusing to move on his position on either matter, Trudeau is essentially daring MPs on the opposition benches to force an election – and they should.

Faith in our democracy is being undermined by the foreign actors in Beijing and one man — Trudeau — is standing in the way of the Canadian voting public finding out more about that interference. Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet voiced the question everyone was asking Wednesday as Trudeau again refused to call an inquiry.

“What we are seeing now is a government which is paying a heavy political price to hide something. The question is what the hell is he trying to hide?” Blanchet asked on Parliament Hill ahead of question period and the vote on the motion to remove Johnston and call an inquiry.

The vote on that motion passed 174 in favour and 150 against.

Despite the majority of elected members of the House of Commons telling Johnston they didn’t trust him and didn’t want him to stay on the job, the former governor general released a statement saying he wasn’t going anywhere.

“I deeply respect the right of the House of Commons to express its opinion about my work going forward, but my mandate comes from the government. I have a duty to pursue that work until my mandate is completed,” Johnston said.

There you have it, a man asked to look into the attempts by a dictatorship trying to influence the politics of a democracy ignoring the will of the democratic majority in the House of Commons and saying he will stay on because the government asked him to.

Johnston, a man I once had immense respect for, is now a joke and not someone worth listening to.

Given his personal connections to Trudeau, his role with the Trudeau Foundation and his connections to China, he simply should have said no when Trudeau asked him to take on this role. That he not only took it, but has issued a defiant statement saying “to hell with your democracy, the leader asked me to do this,” makes me wonder if anyone should have ever held Johnston in high esteem.

His judgment is off, to say the least.

On Tuesday, former Conservative leader Erin O’Toole stood in the House and gave a broad stroke description of how CSIS described the ways China interfered with him and the Conservative party in the 2021 election. It boils down to China providing money, workers and lies to defeat the Conservatives and elect the Liberals in the last election.

The Trudeau government was briefed about all of this and simply didn’t act. They can claim they didn’t know, that they couldn’t access secret email accounts after six years on the job, but no one believes them on that except their most diehard supporters.

Every intelligence official that will speak publicly on this issue says that all parties will be hit with the fallout of a public inquiry. China doesn’t put all of its eggs in one basket, they spread them out.

Yet while the Conservatives, NDP and Bloc are willing to take a hit to get to the truth of the matter, the Liberals stand alone in saying a public inquiry is the wrong path.

The Trudeau Liberals are acting like a guilty party. So if Trudeau won’t call an inquiry, MPs must call an election instead.

Trudeau and the Liberals must be scared shitless at what may come out.

Parliament has voted for a second time to call for a public inquiry into China’s interference in our democracy. For a second time, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is ignoring the will of Parliament and refusing to call an inquiry, saying that the investigation headed up by his good friend David Johnston is enough.

While Trudeau is the prime minister, he leads a minority government and the majority of elected members in the House of Commons have not only called for an inquiry twice now, but for Johnston, his special rapporteur, to be shown the door.

In refusing to move on his position on either matter, Trudeau is essentially daring MPs on the opposition benches to force an election – and they should.

Faith in our democracy is being undermined by the foreign actors in Beijing and one man — Trudeau — is standing in the way of the Canadian voting public finding out more about that interference. Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet voiced the question everyone was asking Wednesday as Trudeau again refused to call an inquiry.

“What we are seeing now is a government which is paying a heavy political price to hide something. The question is what the hell is he trying to hide?” Blanchet asked on Parliament Hill ahead of question period and the vote on the motion to remove Johnston and call an inquiry.

The vote on that motion passed 174 in favour and 150 against.

Despite the majority of elected members of the House of Commons telling Johnston they didn’t trust him and didn’t want him to stay on the job, the former governor general released a statement saying he wasn’t going anywhere.

“I deeply respect the right of the House of Commons to express its opinion about my work going forward, but my mandate comes from the government. I have a duty to pursue that work until my mandate is completed,” Johnston said.

There you have it, a man asked to look into the attempts by a dictatorship trying to influence the politics of a democracy ignoring the will of the democratic majority in the House of Commons and saying he will stay on because the government asked him to.

Johnston, a man I once had immense respect for, is now a joke and not someone worth listening to.

Given his personal connections to Trudeau, his role with the Trudeau Foundation and his connections to China, he simply should have said no when Trudeau asked him to take on this role. That he not only took it, but has issued a defiant statement saying “to hell with your democracy, the leader asked me to do this,” makes me wonder if anyone should have ever held Johnston in high esteem.

His judgment is off, to say the least.

On Tuesday, former Conservative leader Erin O’Toole stood in the House and gave a broad stroke description of how CSIS described the ways China interfered with him and the Conservative party in the 2021 election. It boils down to China providing money, workers and lies to defeat the Conservatives and elect the Liberals in the last election.

The Trudeau government was briefed about all of this and simply didn’t act. They can claim they didn’t know, that they couldn’t access secret email accounts after six years on the job, but no one believes them on that except their most diehard supporters.

Every intelligence official that will speak publicly on this issue says that all parties will be hit with the fallout of a public inquiry. China doesn’t put all of its eggs in one basket, they spread them out.

Yet while the Conservatives, NDP and Bloc are willing to take a hit to get to the truth of the matter, the Liberals stand alone in saying a public inquiry is the wrong path.

The Trudeau Liberals are acting like a guilty party. So if Trudeau won’t call an inquiry, MPs must call an election instead.

Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

And yet, JT still polls above 30%

View attachment 77888

*taken from 338Canada.com

OTOH, an Ipsos poll in January suggested alot of people want an election in 2023:

One Half (49%) of Canadians Want a Federal Election in 2023​

Slim Majority (54%) say Trudeau Should Step Down as Liberal Leader in 2023, But Only One Quarter (27%) Believes He Will

One half (49%) of Canadians think there should be a federal election in 2023, despite one not being legally mandated until 2025, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Global News.

Younger Canadians aged 18-34 (65%) are by far the most likely to want an election, while those aged 35-54 (47%) and 55+ (38%) are much less likely to want to head to the polls in 2023. Regionally, Canadians living in Atlantic Canada (63%), Alberta (60%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (55%) and British Columbia (53%) are more likely than average to want an election. Only a minority of Ontarians (46%) and Quebecers (60%) want an election.

The desire for an election notwithstanding, only 43% believe there will be a federal election in 2023, once again with those aged 18-34 (51%) being more likely to say so than those aged 35-54 (44%) or 55+ (37%).

In April 2023, Justin Trudeau will mark 10 years as Liberal Leader, and eight of those years will have been served as Prime Minister of Canada. This long tenure – along with the party’s struggles to win another majority mandate – are causing speculation as to how long Justin Trudeau will remain in the top job.

A majority (54%) of Canadians think that Prime Minister Trudeau should step down as Liberal Leader and that Canada should have a new Prime Minister, a feeling more widely held among men (58%) than women (49%). Once again, there is notable regional variation, with those in Alberta (65%) being most likely to hold this position, followed by residents of Atlantic Canada (57%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (56%), Ontario (56%), British Columbia (54%), and Quebec (43%).

Despite the desire among many for Mr. Trudeau to step down, just one in four (27%) believes the Prime Minister will in fact step down.

OTOH, an Ipsos poll in January suggested alot of people want an election in 2023:

One Half (49%) of Canadians Want a Federal Election in 2023​

Slim Majority (54%) say Trudeau Should Step Down as Liberal Leader in 2023, But Only One Quarter (27%) Believes He Will

One half (49%) of Canadians think there should be a federal election in 2023, despite one not being legally mandated until 2025, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Global News.

Younger Canadians aged 18-34 (65%) are by far the most likely to want an election, while those aged 35-54 (47%) and 55+ (38%) are much less likely to want to head to the polls in 2023. Regionally, Canadians living in Atlantic Canada (63%), Alberta (60%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (55%) and British Columbia (53%) are more likely than average to want an election. Only a minority of Ontarians (46%) and Quebecers (60%) want an election.

The desire for an election notwithstanding, only 43% believe there will be a federal election in 2023, once again with those aged 18-34 (51%) being more likely to say so than those aged 35-54 (44%) or 55+ (37%).

In April 2023, Justin Trudeau will mark 10 years as Liberal Leader, and eight of those years will have been served as Prime Minister of Canada. This long tenure – along with the party’s struggles to win another majority mandate – are causing speculation as to how long Justin Trudeau will remain in the top job.

A majority (54%) of Canadians think that Prime Minister Trudeau should step down as Liberal Leader and that Canada should have a new Prime Minister, a feeling more widely held among men (58%) than women (49%). Once again, there is notable regional variation, with those in Alberta (65%) being most likely to hold this position, followed by residents of Atlantic Canada (57%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (56%), Ontario (56%), British Columbia (54%), and Quebec (43%).

Despite the desire among many for Mr. Trudeau to step down, just one in four (27%) believes the Prime Minister will in fact step down.

This is from Dec 2022. I'd say severely dated at this point, 6 months later. A lot has happened since the article was written. Heading into summertime when people traditionally try to forget about government. If trudeau and Co. start doing whistle stops, there's an election coming.

Woweee! Even Jagmeet himself is giving Johnston a hard time. What is this country coming to??? 🤪

Hot air and hobby horses. If he were any kind of serious, he'd break his orange and red liberal coalition and bring the government down over this. Almost like he's stalling for time. 4 more weeks and the shop closes for the summer. I highly doubt we'll be any further ahead when parliament rises. Trudeau waiting on his rapporteur and the rapporteur running around clutching his mandate and racking up billable hours, thinking of ways to carry the party line and clear the government, while trying to sound detached, independent and competent. Failing miserably on all counts.

Back