• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Apparently interference has been going on for some time - from Mulroney til this day.

It’s really not all Justin’s fault - did I just say that?
Harper, Martin, Chrétien and Mulroney all should be sharing the blame.
What was Mulroney's line: you could have said no. How true but we have no idea as to what pressure was applied or even from whom, it is all conjecture on our part and until the roots can be dug out we have what we have

Apparently interference has been going on for some time - from Mulroney til this day.

It’s really not all Justin’s fault - did I just say that?
Harper, Martin, Chrétien and Mulroney all should be sharing the blame.

My concern is that this notion will be used to lessen the severity of the present situation. "Well everyone was doing it..."

We now know and we must do something about it.

bit of a tangent but I seem to recall that when Harper was first elected he came down really hard on the side of Taiwan. Little later on, not so much. Was there inside pressure from outfits like Power to knuckle under?

This article touches on it a bit.

More names named.

The Michael Chong Uproar: What's Changed?

Weekend Special: It's been great theatre (they don't call it the "world stage" for nothing).​

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLockFullIcon%3Fv%3D4%26height%3D28%26strokeWidth%3D3.6
MAY 13

To get at what’s happened in recent days you’ve got to thrash through the underbrush of a great deal of journalese, idle speculation and hollow boasts - “tit-for-tat retaliation,” “will not be intimidated,” “a new beginning with China” - in order for the obvious to reveal itself.
Nothing of any consequence has changed. Nothing.
Key operatives from the Mandarin-bloc network that mobilized to the Liberals’ advantage during the 2019 and 2021 elections were back in Beijing this past week to bask in praise from Xi Jinping himself. There’ll be more on that below.
Dominic Barton - the key architect of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s economic growth strategy, Beijing’s foremost global business-class emissary and briefly Canada’s useless ambassador to China - is the keynote speaker at an upcoming closed-door banquet for multinational China-trade corporations at a luxury hotel in Beijing.
Yuen Pau Woo, Xi Jinping’s best friend in the Canadian Senate, is still busy hypercharging the China lobby’s campaign against an effective foreign-influence registry, relying on Beijing’s grotesque propaganda line - echoed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau himself - that if you want to know how successful Beijing’s elite-capture operations in Canada have been, you’re a racist.
Here’s Woo coming to the defence of Beijing’s Montreal “police station” outpost, a greasier story (well done, Toronto Star) than most in the Anglo media have figured out. Before the Michael Chong story broke, here’s Woo getting taken down a notch by Chinese-Canadian activists for his adoption of the Beijing-designed slant that compares a foreign-influence registry with Chinese exclusion lawsfrom a century ago. And here’s Woo again only last week: “Why give credit to the CCP for raising concerns about racism when we should be raising those concerns ourselves?”

Plus ça change.

As for the response to the eruption of disgust and revulsion over revelations that Ottawa had known and did nothing about the conduct of China’ Ministry of State Security in Canada, as you might guess, I’m not especially impressed. Ottawa and Beijing have settled on a gentlemanly reassignment of a couple of diplomats. That’s about it.
Front and centre this week in Beijing: Weng Guoning, key figure in that shady GTA election-shenanigans network, whose Toronto HQ hosts one of those overseas Chinese “police stations.” Photo found by our friends at Found in Translation.
This was a degree of subterfuge, House of Commons speaker Anthony Rota told Members of of Parliament this week, that “squarely touches upon the privileges and immunities that underpin our collective ability to carry out our parliamentary duties unimpeded."
The MSS, remember, had set out to make an example of Conservative MP Michael Chong (Wellington-Halton Hills), a friend of the persecuted Uyghurs and China’s democracy movement, by putting the screws to any of Chong’s relatives that could be found in China. Chong has relations in Hong Kong that he has deliberately avoided communicating with in the hopes of keeping them safe from harm.
Taking up that snooping assignment from his office in China’s Toronto consulate was the operative Wei Zhao, a social butterfly well known to at least a half-dozen Liberal MPs and cabinet ministers, and well known to Canadian Security and Intelligence Service. CSIS has also been warning about a certain Liberal Party kingmaker who liked to hang around with Zhao.
The warnings went back three years, to no avail. The Liberal powerbroker even has his own codename at the Chinese embassy in Ottawa: “the minister.”
I’ll also be getting into that today.
The denouement to all the drama? Wei Zhao will be moving on to greener pastures, no doubt with a promotion for his troubles, and Jennifer Lynn Lalonde, Canada’s consul in Shanghai, is obliged to leave China by tomorrow. That’s about it.
To support my work here, be a peach and take out a subscription, prefereably the paid kind, which gets you all the best stuff.
Subscribed
This edition of the Real Story is the second in a series that began Monday with Diplomat, Socialite, Spy. I’m taking a brief break from the Ottawa Citizen and the National Post and reckoned I’d spend a bit of my time off (!) to focus on what’s gone unnoticed in all this. My problem is that more background keeps coming to me and this series could get out of hand, so there’s a lot for you all today, and more for paid subscribers, in this Real Story weekend special.
Also today:
Who are these quiet friends of China’s diplomats in the House of Commons, and what are they trying to hide? Who was CSIS referring to in that intelligence assessment that mentioned “gatekeeper” political staffers who “deceptively control and influence the activities of elected officials in ways that support [People’s Republic of China] activities”?
Coming up in Real Story newsletters:
What’s the deal with that English-language magazine that CSIS says has been paid to run pro-Bejing propaganda? What’s the story behind that shady “China expert” who keeps showing up in the press, most recently this week? And what’s the connection to a rather promiscuous public-relations man and one-time registered China lobbyist who has somehow ended up on the Conservative Party’s governing council?
What was the horrible fate that befell Sheng Xue, the democracy activist whose warnings to Parliament back in 2006 I wrote about in my last column, Evidence of China's interference has been lying in plain sight for years ?

“Affronts to Canadian democracy”? Don’t be racist.​

If you think things have changed since it became public knowledge that Beijing had put a target on Michael Chong’s back, you must have missed what happened in the House of Commons on Monday.
House speaker Anthony Rota ruled that it was proper to suspend House business to allow attention to the fact that “a foreign entity tried to intervene in the conduct of our proceedings through a retaliatory scheme” targeting Chong and his family.
This allowed the House to pass a motion demanding that any Chinese diplomat implicated in "affronts to Canadian democracy" be expelled from Canada. The motion also called for Parliament to establish a foreign agent registry along the lines of the American and (evolving) Australian models, and for a national public inquiry into foreign election interference, and for Ottawa to shut down those Chinese “police stations” operating in Canada.
On all four points, the vote was 170-150 in favour, but with the ruling Liberals voting against. So, fat lot of good Parliamentary democracy is accomplishing in defending itself in Canada at the moment.
Remember: the thing that put a target on Chong’s back was his sponsorship of a February, 2021 House of Commons motion condemning Beijing’s persecution of the Uyghurs and other captive Muslim minorities as a genocide. There’s a lot to that motion that’s gone under the radar. I’ll be coming to that today.

But first. an amusing but very illuminating interlude.​

To give you a sense of what we’re up against here, I’m going to turn to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s brother Alexandre, the insufferable China enthusiast who likes to be called “Sasha.” Unburdened by voters that might otherwise send him packing, Sacha is free to speak his mind. And so he did yeoman’s service in illustrating the extent of Beijing’s capture of Canada’s willing Laurentian brahmins, especially in and around the Trudeau family, when he testified before the Ethics Committee last week.
In the most comically haughty fashion, Sacha protested that he and Beijing’s little clique of Trudeau Foundation beneficiaries are above reproach, while foundation president Pascale Fournier and almost the entire board - who resigned in disgust over the dirty-money contract with a high-powered Beijing influence-monger that Sacha himself signed - are all in the wrong.
“I must insist there was no foreign interference, no possibility of interference, no intention or means of interference at or in the Trudeau Foundation,” he said.
This was a particularly amusing defence of Beijing’s many well-heeled compradors in this country. Nobody says that “interference” is the way to describe the foundation’s eager acquisition of $140,000 from one of Xi Jinping’s state agencies that required an attempt to hide the donors’ true identities by issuing tax receipts to a shell company with an address in an abandoned mansion in the Montreal surburb of Dorval.
The donation, it should be noted, wasn’t intended for the foundation’s usual social sciences and humanities grants. It was intended for conferences on the advancement of “Canada-China relations.” Nothing too see here, Sacha insisted.
The lead moneyman in the scandal, Zhang Bin, just happens to be a senior Communist Party “soft power” emissary and head of the party-controlled China Cultural Industry Association. A coincidence. He is “an honourable man,” widely admired in China, Sacha said.
Also coincidentally, Zhang Bin was one of several regime-connected tycoons Trudeau hosted in a Toronto mansion in 2016 in one of those scandalous “cash for access” banquets the Liberal Party put on for Chinese millionaires across the country that year.
Discussions with Zhang Bin about how much money he’d like to slosh around at the Trudeau Foundation and the University of Montreal began in 2013. It’s also a mere coincidence, we are expected to believe, that the Beijing-directed influence operation targeting a willingly compliant Justin Trudeau began the same year.
This brings us to a problem with the terms “interference” and “influence,” which Sacha conflated in a way we weren’t supposed to notice. For at least those first three years between 2015 and the abduction of the Two Mikes in December 2018, it was official root-and-branch Trudeau government policy to co-direct Beijing’s influence operations in Canada.
If you don’t believe me, when you’re done here you should read this paywalled Real Story newsletter, Beijing’s best friends in Canada, part etcetera, or this extensive inquiry I undertook for the National Post, Trudeau went all in on China a decade ago.
If you doubt the central role Dominic Barton’s opiate-turbocharging, dictator-befriending McKinsey and Company played in building on Pierre Elliott Trudeau’s China delusions to help Justin pull Canada away from this country’s democratic allies, after you’re done here you might also want to check Dominic Barton and the Damage Done, Part 1 and Part 2.)
The key thing to notice about Sacha’s testimony: Influence, shminfluence. They just don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s just the way the universe should be expected to, like, unfold, man, and the arc of history bends towards China. And if something shocks the public conscience, like the recent revelations about Beijing’s exertions in short-circuiting the 2019 and 2021 federal elections, hey, everybody calm down. The overall election result wasn’t impacted.
As the former Liberal prime minister, current corporate palm-greaser and Beijing bag-carrier Jean Chretien put it: “Ten or 15 constituencies in Canada at most? I don’t think it’s a very big problem.” Chretien was at it again at the Liberals’ national pep rally in Ottawa. Headline: Jean Chretien dismisses foreign interference.
Pierre Trudeau, co-author of the Chinese Communist Party encomium Two Innocents in Red China, remained a lifelong apologist for that sordid regime, right through his years as prime minister and well after. His son Justin built his entire economic platform around Dominic Barton’s catastrophic notion that Canada’s middle-class prosperity lay in an integration of our country’s resource wealth with Chinese consumer markets. And Justin reckoned he was just the guy to do it: “Obviously, my family has historical ties with China,” he explained.
Beijing’s agents sought to flatter and court Justin Trudeau - even though Xi Jinping holds him in open contempt. The Chinese-language subtitle to Justin’s autobiography, published by a regime-affiliated publishing house in China, is The Legacy Continues. And so it does.
As for Sacha, rather than being a source of eternal shame for the entire family, Pierre’s Two Innocents, co-authored with Jacques Hébert, is something to boast about. Alexandre saw to a re-issue of the book and wrote a slobbering introduction to it in 2005. In 2016, Sacha wrote his own memoir of swanning around in China, titled Barbarian Lost.
It was all entirely a propaganda project financed and organized by the Chinese People's Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries. The CPAFFC is a function of the United Front Work Department, Beijing’s overseas strongarm and influence-peddling operation. That’s the same agency that brought Pierre Trudeau and Jacques Hébert to China back in the old days. A big thanks to our friends at Found in Translation for the gory details.

Well well, look who’s hanging out with Xi Jinping this week.​

Key operatives from the Mandarin-bloc network that mobilized to the Liberals’ advantage during the 2019 and 2021 federal elections were back in Beijing this week for an international conference of the Friendship of Overseas Chinese Association.
Xi Jinping himself showed up, as did Shi Taifeng, the head of Xi’s “magic weapon” United Front Work Department, Beijing’s vast overseas strongarming influence-peddling superstructure dwarfs China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The United Front recently absorbed the Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs, which is run out of China’s embassy and its consulates across Canada.
And there he was in Xi’s presence, beaming like a prize-winning schoolboy: Weng Guoning. After the United Front launched political groupings explicitly focused on the election of regime-friendly candidates in Canada, Weng Guoning stood up like a solid party man with his Chinese Council for Canadian Elections, legally registered under Canada’s Not-for-Profit Corporations Act in 2019.
Our pals at Found in Translation also noticed the presence of another uber-wealthy Mandarin bloc attendee, the Vancouver’s People’s Liberation Army funder and fanboy Wang Dianqi, honourary chairman of the Beijing-aligned Canadian Alliance of Chinese Associations. Wang was also a campaigner for Liberal Parm Bains, whose unseemly 2021 defeat of pro-democracy Conservative MP Kenny Chiu in Richmond - Steveston East raised perhaps the loudest alarmsabout Beijing’s recent election monkeywrenching in Canada.
For Real Story background on Beijing’s influence-peddling Mandarin bloc network and how it’s so often indistinguishable from the Liberal Party’s activist and fundraising base - which creates quite the problem for CSIS, let me tell you - you can turn to National Security in a Post-National State, and China’s Magic Weapon Hits Canadian Targets, and Something is Broken, Way Down Deep, once you’re finished reading this weekend special.

Who’s been hanging around with that expunged Chinese diplomat?​

And now, lets turn to the spy Wei Zhao, now “persona non grata” in Canada, and his friends in high Liberal places. And we’ll recall too the MPs who went out of their way to stay friendly with Zhao and their other friends in Beijing’s vast diplomatic corps in Canada.
As I mentioned about Wei Zhao in Tuesday’s newsletter, innumerable Team Trudeau bigshots have been enjoying his company, all this time, at all manner of banquets and luncheons and commemorations.
Among them: International Trade Minister Mary Ng, Liberal MPs Geng Tan, Han Dong (now sitting it out as an independent MP while his back-channel liaisons with Beijing’s emissaries are explained away), the Khomeinist-friendly Majid Jowhari, Shawn Chen, and even the hapless Ontario Conservative MPP Vincent Ke (also sitting it out as an independent for now, having been implicated in the same backstairs election-interference operation that has complicated things for Dong).
Remember: They’ve all been partying with or otherwise huddling in corners with a Chinese spy in Canada. Also in plain sight all this time: Wei Zhao is a particularly intimate acquaintance of Michael Chan, the openly Beijing-aligned Liberal powerbroker and former Ontario provincial cabinet minister who admits he’s been a person of interest to CSIS going back more than a decade, and who CSIS, to no avail, has been warning the Trudeau cabinet to stay away from.
Chan served as Trade Minister Mary Ng’s campaign co-chair in 2019. Here’s a story I wrote for Macleans four years ago that you might want to read after you’re done here: Ottawa goes meek and gentle with Beijing. Chan also served as Ng’s campaign co-chair in the 2017 byelection when she replaced the disgraced John McCallum when he stepped down to take up his post as ambassador to China. McCallum eventually had to be unceremoniously fired after having taken Beijing’s side in the Meng Wanzhou affair.
Chan is the guy known around the Chinese embassy as “the minister,” a codename bestowed upon him by none other than now-departed Chinese spy Wei Zhao.
Chan’s side hustle these
days is an easy gig as regional councillor and deputy mayor of Markham, Ontario. CSIS has told the Trudeau government that they’d observed Chan meeting with Wei Zhao and with Zhuang Yaodong, the former vice-consul-general for China in Canada who used to handle security files from the Toronto consulate.
Three years ago - three years ago - CSIS boss David Vigneault submitted a briefing package to the Prime Minister’s Office with a warning to steer clear of Chan, who CSIS agents had observed in a number of election-related meetings with Wei Zhao that were “clandestine in nature.”
Full marks here to Fife and Chase, who reported on this back in February, and noted Chan’s response: “Meetings to discuss business and trade between Consular officials and Canadians, politicians or otherwise, are a common practice. Just in case you were not aware, I met a few days ago with the Deputy Consul-General from China in Toronto and Mr. Wei Zhao.”
CSIS told Fife and Chase that the spy was meeting regularly with Liberal MPs’ constituency staffers, among whom was an assistant for Trade Minister Ng. Again last October, CSIS Director David Vigneault warned Team Trudeau - specifically the prime minister himself and his security adviser, Jody Thomas, to keep their distance from Chan.
That was the same briefing that noted China’s Toronto consulate was involved in a monkey-wrenching operation on behalf of eleven Greater Toronto Area candidates in the 2019 federal election.
That was the operation that Global’s Sam Cooper reported about, last fall, in the first story to break all these shenanigans into the open: Canadian intelligence officials have warned Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that China has allegedly been targeting Canada with a vast campaign of foreign interference, which includes funding a clandestine network of at least 11 federal candidates running in the 2019 election, according to Global News sources.
The thing about that “network” is that it doesn’t just operate in a clandestine manner.
For all you might want to know about that landlord-class Mandarin bloc network and its party-going and fundraising and mingling with Liberal cabinet ministers and MPs to the point that they’re all practically indistinguishable from one another, here’s that naming-names Real Story newsletter from last November again: National Security in a Post-National State.

About those dodgy MPs and their dodgy staffers.​

There are more of them than I’ve named so far. Beijing’s friends aren’t that hard to find in Canada’s Parliament.
Remember that House of Commons motion last February, the one that the decent Liberal backbencher Sameer Zuberi put forward, forcing Trudeau’s hand on the persecution of the Uyghurs of Xinjiang? The MPs who voted in favour, including Trudeau’s cabinet members, made it unanimous: Canada should make an effort to resettle 10,000 Uyghur refugees, wandering the earth in exile from their occupied East Turkistan homeland.
It wasn’t just the “problematic” MP Han Dong who conveniently absented himself from that vote, after being present in the House before it, and returning after it, skipping out just like he did for Chong’s Uyghur genocide motion two years earlier: Liberal MP accused of getting help from China skipped House votes condemning Beijing.
Dong was joined by Shaun Chen and New Democrats Don Davies and Niki Ashton in skipping the Uyghur refugee vote, and joined him in skipping Chong’s Uyghur genocide motion too. They’re all friendly with Chinese diplomats.
Davies, Ashton and New Democrat Leah Gazan also broke ranks with a 2020 Opposition motion calling on the government to follow the lead of Canada’s Five Eyes intelligence-sharing partners to bar Xi Jinping’s “national champion” Huawei Technologies from Canada’s core 5G internet connectivity rollout. That motion also slammed the government for failing to treat Beijing’s influence operations in Canada as the key threat to national security that CSIS and the National Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP) have repeatedy and publicly insisted it is.
Davies also broke with the NDP when he sided with Liberal heavyweights who were badgering Trudeau to intervene on behalf of Huawei princess Meng Wanzhou, to halt extradition proceedings and allow her to return to China without answering the U.S. Attorney-General charges of fraud and conspiracy.
Davies is a member of NISCOP, which Trudeau admits he has routinely ignored, but which he has assigned anyway to look into Beijing’s election interference operations, reporting to lifelong China enthusiast and Trudeau family friend David Johnston.
This brings us to a cryptic passage in the CSIS intelligence assessment, People’s Republic of China Foreign Interference in Canada: a Critical National Security Threat, the one identifying an MP with a target on his back that turned out to be Michael Chong. The report referred to political staffers that “can deceptively control and influence the activities of elected officials in ways that support PRC activities.” And this brings us to a fellow I’ve previously introduced to paying Real Story subscribers.
Until 2018, Davies’ constituency assistant was Zhang Wei Qiao. An enthiastic advocate of the reciprocal 10-year multiple-entry visas that Beijing wanted and Davies successfully championed, Zhang left his gig with Davies to run as a candidate on the Vision Vancouver city council slate. Things went sour quickly.
Zhang’s place in the line-up as a Vision candidate was pulled by Vision following a messy affair involving alleged vote-buying that Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond reported to the RCMP, involving the Wenzhou Friendship Society, a powerful Beijing-aligned group that had endorsed Xhang.
No charges came of it, but the Richmond headquarters of the Wenzhou Friendship Society was more recently visited by the RCMP after the group’s address was identified as a location of one of China’s “overseas police stations.” Zhang is now the president of the Canada-China Friendship Society’s Vancouver chapter.
The Wenzhou society is affiliated with the Canadian Alliance of Chinese Associations, whose honorary chairman Wang Dianqi was in Beijing this week lapping up Xi Jinping’s congratulations. Wang is such a Communist Party enthusiast that he’s donated the equivalent of $400,000 to the People’s Liberation Army over the years.

All these roads always intersect at Team Trudeau. Funny old world.​

The former boss at the Wenzhou society, also an honorary chairman of the Canadian Alliance of Chinese Associations along of PLA fanboy Wang Dianqi, is the uber-wealthy Vancouver real estate investor Miaofei Pan.
Remember those cash-for-access banquets the Liberal Party hosted back in 2016, the ones that Trudeau Foundation benefactor Zhang Bin and all those other creepy Beijing moneymen attended? The main event in Vancouver was convened at Miaofei Pan’s Shaughnessy mansion, the same neighbourhood where Meng Wanzhou’s family owned two mansions.
Fun fact: Who broke the story about Beijing’s national cash-for-access influence operation on Trudeau’s behalf? In Canada, it was the Globe and Mail, but two months earlier, Miaofei Pan’s gala event for Trudeau, attended by 80 multimillionaires, was reported on a Wenzhou government website. It’s recently been scrubbed, but an internet archive version can be found here under the headline Canadian PM Visits Overseas Wenzhouese Leader.
It was all very embarassing. The Ethics Commissioner didn’t quite know what to do, there being no laws against this kind of thing. I guess nobody thought it would be necessary to pass an actual law against a prime minister taking bags of election-expense money from the influence-mongers of a hostile foreign dictatorship.
All for today. Stay tuned.

Bill Blair took months to approve a surveillance warrant on a Liberal Party fixer who was known for hanging out with known PRC intelligence officers.

“At that level it is pretty much a sure bet for signoff as the application has been subjected to a rigorous and highly disciplined review process,” he said. “The minister is not likely to need months to decide – or to seek additional information. Perhaps it is the sensitivity of the target.”

🤦‍♂️ Jesus H Christ…I think this is incompetence, but sometimes I wonder…

Up to $200,000 funding from the Feds, eh? Sort of reminds me of Trump when he was first running for the U.S. Presidency.

I can almost imagine how Chairman Xi said to his cronies “Hey, guys, I have a great idea. We”re going to build some police stations in Canada and, guess what? The Canadians are going to pay for it.”

Whereupon one of Xi’s acolytes remarked, “With all due respect, Honourable Chairman, the Canadians aren’t that dumb.”

To which, Chairman Xi replied “Just watch me and prepare to be astounded by the Canadians and their desire to destroy themselves.“

Bill Blair took months to approve a surveillance warrant on a Liberal Party fixer who was known for hanging out with known PRC intelligence officers.

An apple polisher. A syncophant.

Bill Blair is incompetent as well. Time to retire Bill.

Back