• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Even Han Dong voted yes to supporting a public inquiry. He's gotta be innocent!

Aside from the one LPC MP who paired (nullified) his vote with a BQ member, it was a full-on 100% “us vs them” vote.

Good thing PMJT didn’t make it a whipped vote….he would have needed time to sort out his CCP/Overlord Election Influence Disengagement Plan…

I wonder if the public interest defence section (S.15 of SOI Act) could kick in for this case.

No person is guilty of an offence under section 13 or 14 if the person establishes that he or she acted in the public interest.

There are a lot of factors to consider in the sub paragraphs to that section.
Craig Forcese is a national security law expert currently serving on NSIRA. He did a really good brief video rundown of this. In short, not impossible, but VERY tough to use the s.15 protection in a classified info / intelligence agency context. Worth a watch for some better understanding of whistleblowing.

Reactions: QV
In case you're having trouble linking to the latest ....
OP edit to add archived links: Global News - Globe & Mail - CP24

Last edited:

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Paywall in effect. Still couldn’t access the items.

While I realize this thread is about China, this older National Post article gives some perspective to election meddling by another well-known foreign entity. JFK’s pollster Lou Harris provides some Interesting tidbits.

No wonder President Kennedy wasn’t fond of Diefenbaker. He contributed to Kennedy’s death…
Boyko’s book is also not the first to indirectly link Diefenbaker to Kennedy’s death. During a 1961 visit to Ottawa, Kennedy re-injured his fragile back after Diefenbaker insisted he plant a tree at Rideau Hall, requiring the subsequent fitting of a back brace that rendered the president unable to dodge a fatal assassin’s bullet in 1963.
If only Kennedy hadn’t had to wear that back brace…darned Conservatives. Biden best keep on guard when he meets Poilièvre today…

/s

Paywall in effect. Still couldn’t access the items.
That's odd, given only the Globe & Mail may have a firewall 🤷‍♂️

I've added archived links that usually get around any firewalls - good luck.

Kinsella has never been a fan of JT.
Doesn't seem to have Telford in high esteem either.

Full disclosure: I knew Telford in her previous life, when she was simply a lobbyist. She worked at a Toronto lobby firm, and she was decidedly not the boss.

If she did anything of significance in her political life span, it was one thing: Glomming onto Justin Trudeau’s cape, and riding a 2015 wave with him into the Office of the Prime Minister.

Link

That's odd, given only the Globe & Mail may have a firewall 🤷‍♂️

I've added archived links that usually get around any firewalls - good luck.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Globe article, and had previously read the others.

I sincerely hope the media keep the heat and light on this.

We didn't send people to two World Wars, Korea, UN missions and Afghanistan for someone to hand over Canada to another nation who has no good intentions towards us. They are not friends and they are not allies.

I sincerely hope the media keep the heat and light on this.

We didn't send people to two World Wars, Korea, UN missions and Afghanistan for someone to hand over Canada to another nation who has no good intentions towards us. They are not friends and they are not allies.
I agree totally. Most Canadians have no idea as to how much a threat China really is. Furthermore, if push comes to shove (and it will), CanadIans will be shitting themselves when they find out just how unprepared we are to either defend this country or to assume a serious role in alliance efforts against them.

Any nation that takes its nationhood seriously will do everything possible to defend against outside invaders. Canada has traditionally left that role to Great Britain to protect us for much of our history and then to the U.S. in recent decades. A sad state of affairs.

I see the West as being much like Britain, France and others were prior to Germany’s occupation or invasion of its neighbours. With regards to China it’s not a matter of if but when they expand their empire by invading Taiwan and then expand further by taking over the waters and lands within their so-called Nine Dash line. Once they do that, all hell will break loose and the freedom loving countries that stand up to them may or may not be able to contain them. I see Russia aiding China along with North Korea and probably Iran. Each of those countries have too much at stake not to.

And to think we have not even begun to prepare. Nor have any of our politicians sounded an alarm. As I’ve said previously there appears to be no one like Churchill in Canada, but we sure as hell have a lot of Chamberlains who simply hope for the best and don’t want to prepare for the worst. But at least Chamberlain finally began to see Germany as the monster it truly was and began last-minute efforts to better defend Britain. But the questions is, can we even do that much?

Ex-Liberal MP Han Dong billed taxpayers for summer trip to Vancouver

Han Dong, the backbench member of Parliament who quit the Liberal caucus Wednesday night, charged taxpayers for a trip to Vancouver last summer where he met with groups friendly to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). He also socialized with a Chinese diplomat.

Global News reported that Dong met secretly in February 2021 with a Chinese diplomat and allegedly suggested China delay freeing Canadian hostages Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor so as not to benefit the federal Conservatives.

A secret meeting in Vancouver with people friendly to CCP parties? I wonder what they discussed.

Ex-Liberal MP Han Dong billed taxpayers for summer trip to Vancouver

A secret meeting in Vancouver with people friendly to CCP parties? I wonder what they discussed.
Chinese foreign nationals living in BC to donate to a local member of parliament’s riding fund in another part of the country? 🤔

Back