• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Remember, Trudeau continuously denied knowing anything about this. Would not admit if he was briefed or not. Obfuscated. Now he says what was leaked is incorrect but won't say what.
Who would trust Trudeau?

If so, is it truly for national security reasons, and to keep this from spinning out of control and damaging innocent people and institutions?

You could always look at it like he was trying to keep Canadians safe in 2019 and 2021 by trying to ensure a Liberal vitcory.

International students with fake ID voted for a candidate that was favored by Beijing who went on to win the seat. It was eventually discovered which means our system is working ☺️

You could always look at it like he was trying to keep Canadians safe in 2019 and 2021 by trying to ensure a Liberal vitcory.

International students with fake ID voted for a candidate that was favored by Beijing who went on to win the seat. It was eventually discovered which means our system is working ☺️
One would think that, by exposing it early on, the LPC’s chance of victory would be assured after having exposed a pinko commie threat to a grateful electorate.

Just thought I would take a look at China's track record since 1949

They are hard pressed to find any outright victories. Even in Tibet and Xinjiang they are still working hard to keep down rebellions.

WarPeople's Republic of China and alliesOpponentsResult
Chinese Civil War
(1927–1949)[note 1]
Chinese Communist Party Republic of ChinaVictory(to the Communist Party)
Battle of Chamdo
(1950)
People's Republic of China TibetVictory
  • People’s Republic of China annexes Tibet
Korean War
(1950–1953)
North Korea
China
Soviet Union
South Korea
United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Turkey
Australia
Philippines
New Zealand
Thailand
Ethiopia
Greece
France
Colombia
Belgium
South Africa
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Ceasefire
  • North Korean invasion of South Korea repelled
  • UN invasion of North Korea repelled
  • Chinese-North Korean invasion of South Korea repelled
  • DMZ established, little territorial change at the 38th parallel border, essentially uti possidetis
First Taiwan Strait Crisis
(1954–1955)
China Taiwan
United States
Ceasefire
Second Taiwan Strait Crisis
(1958)
China Taiwan
United States
Ceasefire
  • PRC ceases bombardment
Tibetan Uprising
(1959)
China Chushi GangdrukVictory
  • Uprising suppressed
China–Burma border campaign
(1960–1961)
China
Burma
TaiwanVictory
Xinjiang conflict
(1960–present)
China Turkistan Islamic Party

ETLO (2000–03)
ETPRP (1969–89)
URFET (1969–89)
Ongoing
  • Partial PRC victory (Defeat of the ETPRP, URFET and ETLO)
Sino-Indian War
(1962)
China IndiaVictory
Vietnam War
(1965–1969)
North Vietnam
Viet Cong
Pathet Lao
Khmer Rouge
China
Soviet Union
North Korea
South Vietnam
United States
South Korea
Australia
New Zealand
Laos
Cambodia
Khmer Republic
Thailand
Philippines
Withdrawal
Nathu La and Cho La clashes
(1967)
China IndiaDefeat
Sino-Soviet Border Conflict
(1969)
China Soviet UnionDefeat
Sino-Vietnamese War
(1979)
China VietnamBoth sides claim victory[2][3]
Sino-Vietnamese Conflicts
(1979–1991)
China VietnamStalemate
  • Temporary Chinese occupation of several areas in northern Vietnamese territory (returned to Vietnam in 1992)
  • China took control of six reefs in the Spratly Islands after its victory in the Johnson South Reef Skirmish
  • Normalization of relations after the 1990 Chengdu summit
Third Taiwan Strait Crisis
(1996)
China Taiwan
United States
Ceasefire
  • PRC ceases bombardment
War on terror
(2001–present)
Major combatants:
United States
United Kingdom
France
China[4][5]
India
Pakistan
Major combatants:
al-Qaeda
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Taliban
East Turkestan Islamic Movement
Ongoing
Operation Ocean Shield
(2009–2016)
Somalia
NATO
Australia
Belgium
China
Colombia
Greece
India
Indonesia
Japan
Malaysia
New Zealand
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Seychelles
Singapore
South Korea
United Kingdom
United States
Ukraine
Somali piratesVictory
  • Number of Somali pirate attacks reduced dramatically
Mali War
(2012–present)
France
Mali
China[6]
Benin
Cape Verde
Gambia
Ghana[7]
Guinea[8]
Guinea-Bissau[9]
Ivory Coast[8]
Liberia[10]
Niger[11]
Nigeria[12]
Sierra Leone[13]
Senegal[12]
Togo[14]
Chad[15]
Burundi[16]
Gabon[17]
South Africa[18]
Rwanda[18]
Tanzania[18]
Uganda[19]
Germany[20]
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Ansar al-Sharia
Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin
Ongoing
China–India skirmishes (2020–2021) China IndiaCeasefire
  • A few soldiers killed and some captured on both sides

Still waiting for the outcry from the legions of Canadians offended on behalf of Americans that Trump would accept any kind of help from Russians...

Definitely not a fan of Poilievre (my wife calls him Polyester) and felt that Harper was too power hungry and had been in power too long.

I know many here will disagree with me on this but I feel that much (but not all) of what Justin did regarding the pandemic was justified and that history will judge him rather kindly in that area. Having said that, this whole business with China in itself should be enough to make Canadians demand for him to step down. I think I’d rather see Freeland as PM (but definitely not Joli). Other than her, I don’t think Justin has done much in terms of succession planning for his party and can’t think of many other suitable candidates at this point in time.

Erin O’Toole had a tough job trying to appease many of the fringe groups in his party but I think he was basically a decent person and probably would have made this country a better place if he had survived the party politics and had become PM. I think that, with his military background, he would have placed more emphasis on national defence. Unfortunately he didn’t survive the cutthroat politics that exists today.

I just hope that Trudeau decides to leave of his own volition or his party should force it on him. Otherwise let the voters eventually decimate the Liberal party. It’s just not good for any political party to be in power for too long. As the old saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. And thanks to China’s relationship with the Liberals, there’s a lot for Canadians to be contemptuous about.

If the system was working there would be by-elections by now

It would be interesting to be able to look at a deep dive of Chinese demographics, the number of reliable Han in the next 20 years to call upon to man the borders and maintain internal security may drop to critical levels.

St. Richard speaks. A public inquiry is needed to get to the bottom of things.

That’s a very welcome offering of opinion from someone who is supremely well positioned to understand the implications of such an inquiry when it would necessarily include participation by our intelligence services. Although much could obviously not be offered publicly, some could, and an inquiry could be set up to review classified evidence and generate both classified and redacted findings for the appropriately cleared parties, and the public respectively.

I agree, but our system is not particularly well set up to public assess security intelligence information.

I agree, but our system is not particularly well set up to public assess security intelligence information.
I don’t think any system is, by the very nature of the information. We do already have oversight bodies that will release some things publicly, and hold others behind classification for a much narrower audience. NSIRA might have a role to play here?

Terry Glavin has some more.

Beijing’s primary overseas strongarming and influence-peddling agency is the United Front Work Department, and the UFWD’s strategy of “elite capture” in Canada has been every bit as successful as our worst fears. Senior China-file CSIS agents have finally stepped out into scary terrain: they’ve had it with the Trudeau government’s collusions with Beijing’s proxies in Canada.

The whistleblowers are trying to avoid prosecution under the Security of Information Act (the 1985 successor to the Official Secrets Act), but they’re also taking care to ensure that if push comes to shove they’ll be able to avail themselves of the “public interest” exemptions from prosecution, under Section 15 of the Act.

It’s that bad.

I don’t think any system is, by the very nature of the information. We do already have oversight bodies that will release some things publicly, and hold others behind classification for a much narrower audience. NSIRA might have a role to play here?
NSIRA yes…but NSIA is strangely silent on the issue…

Brian Lilley, Toronto Sun 15 Feb 23

Extract: On Friday, he (Trudeau) said he supported the various investigations into these allegations, including by a Commons committee, but his own Liberal MPs blocked the release of documents on this matter and blocked the ability to call key witnesses like Trudeau’s chief of staff Katie Telford. That makes it look like they have something to hide from the public at large.

I'm guessing this.

I don't watch network news very often anymore, is it actually finding traction more than just the media trying to make it happen for the LPC ?

I am not seeing much on it outside of this website on my twitter or other SM venues. Even my close friend who is a very very senior Liberal hasn't said anything about it to date.

Brian Lilley, Toronto Sun 15 Feb 23

…the money quote:

On Friday, he said he supported the various investigations into these allegations, including by a Commons committee, but his own Liberal MPs blocked the release of documents on this matter and blocked the ability to call key witnesses like Trudeau’s chief of staff Katie Telford. That makes it look like they have something to hide from the public at large.

Poor Justin. Can you believe his MPs don’t support his forthright and transparent wishes? 😳

Back