• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

I am of the belief that all of our leaders have done what they thought is the best thing for Canada. And that applies to both Chrétien and Justin Trudeau. However, I think they have been over-awed by the strength of China and the dazzling mass spectacles that the Chinese are so good at presenting to the world.

Increasingly, since we have become more independent from Great Britain, our national character seems to have become more passive and, despite what the press often describes as a can-do spirit, we suffer from somewhat of an inferiority complex. I suspect that leaders like Trudeau have absorbed a lot of those characteristics and are afraid to rock the boat with regards to China. IMHO it’s not a matter of saying the Liberals are bad and the Conservatives are good.

My favourite prime minister, as I’m fond of saying, was Louis St. Laurent. He had the vision to do what was necessary to turn Canada into a significant middle power. Years ago I used to work with one of John Diefenbaker’s former cabinet ministers. Frankly, he didn’t have very good things to say about him, but at least he acknowledged that Dief had an independence of spirit that is sadly missing from most of today’s politicians.

Perhaps I’m being alarmist but I genuinely feel that we are already in the early stages of a major conflict involving China, North Korea, Russia and Iran and various smaller countries who have aligned themselves with either China and or Russia. I’m not yet sure in my own mind if countries like Germany or Turkey have the true will to counter the threats to our freedom. And if push comes to shove, I doubt that Trudeau has what it takes to be a wartime leader. Even Chrystia Freeland would probably do a better job of putting this country on a wartime footing.

I only wish we had the national defence spirit that’s currently being shown by Australia. The Aussies have my full admiration for what they’ve done so far. They’ve awakened. And that’s not the same as Woke.

My understanding is that five months after Chretien had vacated the Prime Ministers office he was jetting off to China. If true, makes you wondering when his fascination with China began?
Those Team Canada missions to the PRC he led never sat well with me. I was also disgusted by how quickly we went back to business as usual after the Tianamin Square Massacre.

Chrétien has always been close to the Canada-China Business Council crowd, who for too long has driven our foreign affairs policy. Even Harper, who started off as a China sceptic, couldn’t withstand their lobbying.

Please don't forget that 20ish years ago the conventional wisdom - I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of experts agreed - was that China's "rise" was both inevitable and to be welcomed. That same conventional wisdom said that whenever people became wealthy they also become more liberal democratically included; middle class people want to have a say in how they are governed and they can, at last, afford to be politically active. It worked 2,000+ years ago in the Mediterranean; 1,000 years ago in Scandinavia; 500 years ago in Britain and so on ... surely, many of us believed, it would happen in China, too.

As last as ten years ago many of us were willing to tell ourselves that Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign was about addressing one of China's major problems - it was only a few years ago (and it was no thanks to Donald J Trump) that more and more scholars began to understand that Xi was/is sui generis; he didn't/does not fit the post Mao pattern of Deng Xiaoping, Zhang Zemin and Hu Jintao; in fact he wants to be another Mao - that's crazy, everyone said, but it appears to be the truth.

Chrétien and Harper were just going along with the conventional wisdom - maybe influenced, in some measure, by e.g. the boards of the Canada China Business Council (https://ccbc.com/about/board-of-directors/) and Power Corporation (Power Corporation of Canada | Board of Directors) - that prevailed throughout the West, including in the USA.

I only wish we had the national defence spirit that’s currently being shown by Australia. The Aussies have my full admiration for what they’ve done so far. They’ve awakened. And that’s not the same as Woke.
I'm not so sure that Australia (military kit notwithstanding) is actually that "awakened". One example being the lease of the Port of Darwin, close to their RAN base (HMAS Coonawarra) to a Chinese company.

My understanding is that five months after Chretien had vacated the Prime Ministers office he was jetting off to China. If true, makes you wondering when his fascination with China began?
I think his "fascination" began with Trudeau the Elder and his "Just Society".

I'm not so sure that Australia (military kit notwithstanding) is actually that "awakened". One example being the lease of the Port of Darwin, close to their RAN base (HMAS Coonawarra) to a Chinese company.
You’re definitely right on that. Hope I’m not being sadly deluded. Maybe someone has pulled the wool over my eyes and I’m the one who needs to be awakened. 😕

I never did agree with the conventional wisdom on the PRC. It really didn’t make sense when I was watching CNN I saw a story about China gaining most favoured trade status and how this would encourage growth and liberalism in China. The very next story was about how the US would continue to impose sanctions because it was a communist dictatorship abusing its citizens’ human rights. The anchorman didn’t skip a beat and seemed unaware of the cognitive dissonance of the two stories.

The lip service our leaders paid to human rights in the PRC was always weak compared to what Beijing was doing to their own people. Even back then, the influence they were trying to exert on us seemed clear to me. Fadden coming out with his report only confirmed what I suspected.

In the meantime, a Globe and Mail item yesterday about Chinese monitoring devices found in the Arctic. Unfortunately I don’t have a subscription to read the accompanying copy.

Canadian military found Chinese monitoring buoys in the Arctic​

ROBERT FIFEOTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
STEVEN CHASESENIOR PARLIAMENTARY REPORTER
PUBLISHED YESTERDAYUPDATED 8 HOURS AGO

Paste the url here and you can get the whole article.

I never did agree with the conventional wisdom on the PRC. It really didn’t make sense when I was watching CNN I saw a story about China gaining most favoured trade status and how this would encourage growth and liberalism in China. The very next story was about how the US would continue to impose sanctions because it was a communist dictatorship abusing its citizens’ human rights. The anchorman didn’t skip a beat and seemed unaware of the cognitive dissonance of the two stories.

The lip service our leaders paid to human rights in the PRC was always weak compared to what Beijing was doing to their own people. Even back then, the influence they were trying to exert on us seemed clear to me. Fadden coming out with his report only confirmed what I suspected.
I meant to say that the next story was about continuing to impose sanctions on Cuba.

Unfortunately they’re behind paywalls, but the hits from the staid G&M keep coming.

“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”

― Mao Tse-tung

Unfortunately they’re behind paywalls, but the hits from the staid G&M keep coming.

CBC Frontburner, and other programs, are talking about it too.

Sam Cooper at Global identifies one of the 11 compromised candidates from the 2019 election, who is now a sitting MP.

48 hours before that, Matt Gurney tweets:

Sam Cooper at Global identifies one of the 11 compromised candidates from the 2019 election, who is now a sitting MP.

48 hours before that, Matt Gurney tweets:

Pay attention ok. Some Euro MP was here and some Cons talked to her. That's the real story. Don't you know the narrative!

Trudeau: Chinese attempts at interference didn't affect our election, time to move on. I have spoken.

Meanwhile

"Chinese international students with fake addresses were allegedly bussed into the riding and coerced to vote in Dong’s favour."

and

"The students were also ‘told by the PRC Consulate’ to support the specific candidate, ‘if they want(ed) to maintain their student visa status.’ CSIS intelligence indicates that this candidate is very close to — and receives support from — the PRC Consulate.”

I’m really trying hard to be open minded and thinking that possibly, just possibly Justin is trying his level best to keep a lid on this whole sha bang. If so, is it truly for national security reasons, and to keep this from spinning out of control and damaging innocent people and institutions? Or have the media misinterpreted or not fully investigated their sources and are making a mountain out of a molehill?

Or…or…or is it now to protect his ass? Could it be that only now he is beginning to realize that the murky waters he waded in are full of some very dangerous creatures and is afraid to make any serious moves at all for fear of disturbing said entities?

I must admit I did vote Liberal…BUT…

Back