• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Charges Laid for Corruption of a Database

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
News Release
Charges Laid for Corruption of a Database
NR 08.051 - August 12, 2008

OTTAWA – The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) has charged two military members today with several offences in relation to the alleged corruption of a database while they were posted in Ottawa, Ontario.

Petty Officer Second Class Sylvia Reid, now a member of Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Regina, and Petty Officer Second Class Janet Sinclair, a member of the Maritime Forces Pacific Headquarters in Esquimalt, British Columbia, were each charged with one count of Sabotage, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 52 of the Criminal Code, one count of Conspiracy, contrary to Section 128 of the National Defence Act, one count of Mischief in Relation to Data, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 430(5) of the Criminal Code and one count of Wilful Property Damage, contrary to Section 116(a) of the National Defence Act.

Members of the CFNIS conducted the investigation with assistance from Military Police at Canadian Forces Support Unit Ottawa, the site where the incidents allegedly occurred. Based on all evidence collected including computer forensic analysis, PO2 Reid and PO2 Sinclair allegedly corrupted a Government database in July 2007.

The CFNIS is an independent Military Police unit with a mandate to investigate serious and sensitive matters in relation to National Defence property, DND employees and CF personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

-30-

Media Contact:
Captain Paule Poulin
Public Affairs Officer
Canadian Forces Provost Marshal
613-949-1022

Well, that certainly is interesting.  I wonder if that's the reason that some units in Ottawa do not have a Common Drive..... ???

If it ever comes out it will be interesting to see what kind of damage they did allegedly.

one count of Mischief in Relation to Data, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 430(5) of the Criminal Code

Hmmmmmm....wanna bet it wasn't spy type stuff so much as practical joke/getting even stuff?

Shudda known better.... ::)

I have seen our Coy database get all screwed up by people that think they know how to use Excell, input stuff and ended up making a mess of everything.

ayup, a fine line between incompetence and intentional sabotage ... at least the burden of proof for incompetence is much simpler to prove.

Am surprised that they are both still in the service if it was proven that they both colluded in an act of malicious damage to CF data.

geo said:
Am surprised that they are both still in the service if it was proven that they both colluded in an act of malicious damage to CF data.

Had to keep them in long enough to charge them.  >:D  It will be interesting to see the punishment.  Dishonorable discharge, I would hope.

That's not 100% true.
You can still be brought to trial in the CF - even if you quit the forces, in an effort to avoid prosecution.

Lets wait until they do the hatless dance before we draw any conclusions or speculation.

GAP said:
Hmmmmmm....wanna bet it wasn't spy type stuff so much as practical joke/getting even stuff?

From what I see in my job, most probably not "spy stuff".  Once a unit/member becomes aware of a potential malicious transaction, the machine kicks into gear and the forensic audits start.  This is so easy to track down.... it just takes time.

Watch for the court martial transcript on the JAG site in a few months.

Definitely a first one for me to see.  They must have some pretty solid evidence.  I investigated a malicious act on DND IS once, came up with the "Professor Plum, in the Study, with the Lead Pipe" evidence and nothing ever became of it.  I was told later the ULA advised against formal disciplinary action and this involved 800+ MBs of 'living' data being intentionally deleted from a drive.

I sailed with Janet on HMCS Winnipeg a few years back, kind of freaked me out to see this on CBC news online.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the two of them.

Well......You know........Petty.....Officers...... What else can I say?  No doubt someone, who has no idea that Canada has an Armed Forces, thought it was a small "p" and didn't want to make a slanderous statement of "petty officers facing charges".

Eye In The Sky said:
Definitely a first one for me to see.  They must have some pretty solid evidence.  I investigated a malicious act on DND IS once, came up with the "Professor Plum, in the Study, with the Lead Pipe" evidence and nothing ever became of it.  I was told later the ULA advised against formal disciplinary action and this involved 800+ MBs of 'living' data being intentionally deleted from a drive.

If charges were laid then I would guess the case is pretty solid.  And the ISSOs I know in the NCR are really good. 

Oh I have no doubt their case was/is solid but so was OJ's.  Either way I believe service members are still entitled to innocent till proven guilty is all.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Either way I believe service members are still entitled to innocent till proven guilty is all.

Since when?  CF law is called the "Code of Service Discipline".  Nowhere is the word "justice" used.

OK... I'm kidding.  Really!  LWQ, I agree with you.

(Edited because Greymatters made me self-conscious about my spelling.)

Haggis,
I'm dissapointed :(  where's that old "march the guilty ba$tard in" enthusiasm ;)

Back