• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing trades in the CF?

BushyCentaur

Inactive
Reaction score
This question has probably been asked before but I've looked all over the web to find some answers with no luck. So the question is, is it possible to change trades in the CF? First off, I'm only a reservist and the only courses I have done are my BMQ and BMQ Land, so I currently have no trade qualifications. I have nothing against my current unit or the training or anything, I love it there but recently I have taken great interest in another trade. Also that trade on my base has a great demand for new recruits as of right now so I see it as a good opportunity. So is this possible? And secondly will anything negative come out of it if I were to change trades?

cypres78 said:
People change trades all the time. That being said I have 0 experience in how that applies to the Reserves who aren't trade qualified yet.

Ok, well that is more promising than the information I have found thus far. I was just afraid that changing trades would be like being a traitor to your unit and you would be looked down upon and considered a bag by higher. That's my biggest problem. The only reason I joined the trade I'm currently in (Combat Engineer) is just because I had a bunch of friends in it who joined a few years before which is seeming to be some what of a mistake. I definitely should have done my research before hand.

cypres78 said:
Speaking from experience, sometimes it happens that people will come down on you for OTing.

Its not your trades fault, it's the fault of individuals. Bottom line is it's your life. Do what's best for you.

What do you mean exactly by come down on me haha? And im not familiar with OTing? I'm guessing it means transferring to another trade?

cypres78 said:
OT = Occupational transfer

come down on  = " I was just afraid that changing trades would be like being a traitor to your unit and you would be looked down upon and        considered a bag by higher"

Thank you very much for the info. I just found out that a friend of mine used to be part of the unit that I'm currently in and he transferred into the unit im looking to transfer into, a very helpful coincidence indeed. He had no problems whatsoever, so it is now looking very promising.

If you're seriously considering an OT and you're worried about what other might think, you've alread lost.

Man up, take off the skirt, move on and do what you think is right for you.

If you have to worry what you're friends will think, they aren't friends................and they aren't worth worrying about.

recceguy said:

But what if the unit he wants to transfer into is a highland regiment?  :piper:

recceguy said:
If you're seriously considering an OT and you're worried about what other might think, you've alread lost.

If you have to worry what you're friends will think, they aren't friends................and they aren't worth worrying about.

Im actually on a course over Christmas holidays run by the unit I want to join. I asked the course officer about transferring in and he was thrilled that I wanted to, not to mention their desperate for pers. He said much couldn't be done until after Christmas holidays when everybody gets back to work but I'm almost sure he contacted my CO at my current unit or is trying to contact him. So the ball is rolling which is excellent!

BushyCentaur said:
Im actually on a course over Christmas holidays run by the unit I want to join. I asked the course officer about transferring in and he was thrilled that I wanted to, not to mention their desperate for pers. He said much couldn't be done until after Christmas holidays when everybody gets back to work but I'm almost sure he contacted my CO at my current unit or is trying to contact him. So the ball is rolling which is excellent!

Unless things have changed since I OTed, you need to start the ball rolling with a memo through your chain of command.  There is a whole process through the PSO.  The transfer to the other unit also is initiated by you and actioned by your OR.

Eowyn said:
Unless things have changed since I OTed, you need to start the ball rolling with a memo through your chain of command.  There is a whole process through the PSO.  The transfer to the other unit also is initiated by you and actioned by your OR.

Yeah I checked back with my course officer today and he pretty much just told me the same thing as you. He said tell me section commander, pass in a memo and all that and if he doesn't hear anything in 2 weeks time he plans on going up to the unit himself...thats how bad they need pers.

Just make sure that once you've put in for what you want, keep bugging your CoC. OT's in the reserves can sometimes be a clusterf*** due to the fact it's usually done on a lower level and sometimes not everyone knows the exact steps that must be taken. Best thing you can do is look it up in the CFAO's and DAOD's, reference the specific regulations in your memo and keep on it. Even if you aren't fully trained, persistence will not only keep the ball rolling but will show your superiors you really want it, also it should keep you in the loop.

It can be a long process (knowing several people who have gone through the system). Just keep inquiring with your chain (respectfully), your welfare is their job. Also, if you get frustrated, don't jump and go straight to your Course WO or Course O with your grievances, that's a good way to get yourself in hot water.

Hope this helps.

PJGary said:
Just make sure that once you've put in for what you want, keep bugging your CoC. OT's in the reserves can sometimes be a clusterf*** due to the fact it's usually done on a lower level and sometimes not everyone knows the exact steps that must be taken. Best thing you can do is look it up in the CFAO's and DAOD's, reference the specific regulations in your memo and keep on it. Even if you aren't fully trained, persistence will not only keep the ball rolling but will show your superiors you really want it, also it should keep you in the loop.

It can be a long process (knowing several people who have gone through the system). Just keep inquiring with your chain (respectfully), your welfare is their job. Also, if you get frustrated, don't jump and go straight to your Course WO or Course O with your grievances, that's a good way to get yourself in hot water.

Hope this helps.

Thank you greatly for the information, I`m sure that it will prove greatly useful. A friend of mine that was in the unit I am currently in got OTed into the unit that I`m looking to get OTed into (coincidence, he was in long before I was) and his only took approximately 2 and a half months!

The unit I want to join really wants/needs more pers (they barely have enough to field a single troop) and the course officer himself said that he would personally go up if he doesn't hear anything to see my current CO and figure things out to get it done faster and whatnot because they need pers that bad and because of my high level of interest as well as current skill displayed on the course I am on which is run by the unit I wish to join.

Back