• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changes to the PRes contracts

curiouschap

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a RegF member and actively considering to CT to PRes Air Reserve. I do have a confirmation of a position in one of the Air Reserve units. I am not currently trade qualified and the position I am offered is also a training position.

I had a talk with the unit training/recruitment coordinator and I was told that the position used to be CL B permanent but there has been changes in the reserve contracts. As what I heard, the reserves have stopped offering CL B permanent contracts. Instead all CL B permanent positions will be now CL A which will include 14 days a month full time with CL B top up. Further I was explained that CL A 14 days a month will be for 6 months and then CL B full time will be for remaining 6 months. Normally the CL B full time for 6 months will be in summer to include military and trade training etc.

To all the military experts, is this the correct understanding?Please shed some light since I want this position as it will keep me within CF and allow me to complete my studies. Moreover the position is very much related to the area I intend studying. This will help me a lot and I really dont want to miss this opportunity.

Luckily my CoC is supportive of this option for me to transfer to PRes instead of me working for RegF. I think that will give me chance to be within the CF and work towards my studies and help me mature

Don't ever count on Cl B contracts to support you. The minute you do that, is the same minute the rug gets pulled out and you're on EI.

You're on TCAT. How are you going to pass the medical to transfer to the PRes in another trade? Transferring to the PRes isn't an easy way out of your TRB and possible 5 series release item.

I had an appointment with the doctor this morning and not going in details, he can take me off the TCAT if I am choosing to go the PRes route. Of course my CoC is aware of the TRB and still I was told I can ask for a VR and request to join the PRes. In fact this question was asked to my Career Manager and he told that I can do that.

curiouschap said:
I had an appointment with the doctor this morning and not going in details, he can take me off the TCAT if I am choosing to go the PRes route.

:facepalm:

Well, that cerainly doesn't sound like passing a burden on to someone else.    ::)

Medical issues and your comment about the TCAT aside...

Based on your post, it sounds like you are talking about an ARAF position (Air Reserve Augmentation Flight).  ARAF is a unique organization to say the least and they are set up on Air Bases to support Air operations.  There have been no changes to their organizational structure and all their positions are considered Class A with the exception of C2 positions.  They are allocated annual funding for Class B in support of Air Ops but more recently, they have relied "heavily" on SDOA and other venues of funding to ramp up their Class B allocation.  This gave them the perception of an organization which employs reserves on a full-time basis which is far from the truth.  As a result of the scaling back of overseas Ops, the "external" funding envelopes previously available have dried up and left ARAF's in a bit of a not so pleasant position.  So Reserve Force personnel belonging to an ARAF unit, feel slighted as the Class B is just not available anymore.

So if you are joining a local ARAF, you will be Class A and only receive Class B employment where and when needed.

Back