• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Change Occupation Choices ( merged )

Every month, routine orders has a section for VOT if you are still on the BTL.  Check it out.

Sorry... VOT not VOR, it used to be VOR I think...

Jane~Doe said:
So here is my problem... I've just graduated IAP and am starting up BOTP in a few days. So far I love it all. However, it's become more and more obvious that my trade choice (armour) is not really for me. I want to get out of the combat arms and get into pilot, air nav, or ATC. I've been talking to everyone I can corner with a little experience and so far it seems like the only real option for me is to VR and reapply civi-side (which I would really rather not do, seeing as how it would mean resigning a commission if I finish my BOTP first). Does anyone have any experience/suggestions to offer? Thanks for any help.

So with your total CF experience consisting of IAP you have come to the well thought out and researched conclusion that your carefully researched, during the application process, occupation choice (apologize if this wasn't one of your choices) of armour is now "not really for me"?  Wow! Suggestion, shake your head and carry on.  Give Armour and the combat arms a chance and if after a few years of experience you don't like it then take the steps in order to change your circumstances.

How about we trade: I give you my Civy status and I get your ArmourOffc slot  ;D
Stick it out until you get to your regiment, training is always a little different than garrison life. You might have a positive experience there! :salute:

Changing occupations is a personal choice.  I am not sure what makes you think you aren't suited for Armour.  Maybe the experience of IAP makes you feel you don't have the stuff, maybe you think that the Combat Arms is all about running around or the day to day life of a Armour Officer is like IAP was.  The decision to not complete that trng is one you should think over carefully.  Remember, you haven't even made it close to the Armour School, or an Armour unit, so I am alittle confused as to why you think it is not for you, you've yet to see and taste it.  But, again, only you really know the answer to that. 

If you decide to request a MOC transfer, you should do some reading on the regulations that govern this.  A few of them are:

CFAO 10-1 Officer Transfer - Military Occupation Regular Force

DAOD 5002-2, Direct Entry Officer Plan, Regular Force   (I am assuming you are DEO because of the time of year you are doing IAP/BOTP)

ADM (HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05 The New Regular Force Terms of Service

Remember, you can request a MOC transfer, but it is not a given that you will get it.  Many things will factor into it, such as the health of the trade you are in, whether or not the trades(s) you would like to go to have open positions, whether or not you meet the educational requirements, etc.  The best people to answer that are the PSO, if and when you decide to address this with your current CoC.

I am not trying to encourage you to transfer MOCs.  Something about the Armour Officer MOC appealed to you at one point.  I think maybe you aren't so sure after IAP that you like "the army life".  Army life in the Training System and the real world are 2 very different creatures.  Personally, I think being a Troop Leader is the 2nd best job in the army, second only to being a Troop WO.  But, thats my opinion.  I also believe if you are mentally convinced that you don't want to do the training, and knowing the nature of that training, if you don't go in motivated, you are wasting time and money, are likely to tap out during the training, and will then transfer MOCs but as a Trg Failure rather than of a voluntary nature.  You could, of course, also be released from the CF as a Trg failure.  Lots to think about here, IMO.

Last point, if you DO decide to go thru with the MOC transfer, rest assured that you aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last, OCdt in training at CFLRS (or RMC for that matter) who requests a MOC transfer. 

Jane~Doe said:
I want to get out of the combat arms and get into pilot, air nav, or ATC.

It might be helpful if you know the name of the MOC you might want to transfer to.  AEC is the correct occupation name.

To play devils advocate, what is it you know about the Plt, ANAV, or AEC occupations that makes you think you'd be suited to them?  Are you aware of further testing/screening for Air Ops Officers such as ACS, the aircew medical requirements, etc?

Good luck with your decision.

Jane Doe,
I watched  on this forum your efforts to get ready for BMOQ. You were successfull and will continue to be so if you maintain your can do attitude. As mentioned before many people get confused that basic training is the real deal, it is not. Beware of the influencers who are telling you that Armour is not for you or that the Air force is the only way to go. You made your original decision based on all the information available to you so why change it based on what you have heard from other "instant" experts at CFRLS.

Finish your BOTC, go to Gagetown and give Armour your best shot. If, after up close and personal exposure to the Armoured Corps, you still feel the same  it should be much easier to VOT. If you VR now and reapply you likely won't get anything offers until next spring or summer. Remember the longer you are in uniform the more DND has invested in you the harder they will work to keep you.

Keep at it.   

Am I the only one who thinks that any officer who is doubting whether or not he/she should be there probably shouldn't be there?

It's bad enough when enlisted troops are pushed through training by convincing them that "it'll get better in Battalion". Sure, it gets better, but only untill the field ex starts. Then they're either "broken" or have a piss poor attitude about the most minor hardships. As far as I can tell, these types of people don't eventually find the inspiration to get harder. They just get weaker as they seek out jobs that keep them from physically or mentally exerting themselves.  It frustrates me to no end seeing this on the enlisted side of the house. On the officer side, I can't imagine it being any different - except for the fact that a poor officer has more influence on those around him.

People are cut out for different jobs. A poor armour officer could potentially be an excellent pilot. I know of an officer that decided that being a pilot wasn't for him, switched to infantry, and ended up with the Dwyer Hill gang. You need to draw a line between encouraging someone who's just having a bad day and pushing a square peg into a round hole.

Jane Doe is her own best career manager. In my opinion, let her manage it.

Eye In The Sky said:
Changing occupations is a personal choice. 

Personally, I think being a Troop Leader is the 2nd best job in the army, second only to being a Troop WO.  But, thats my opinion.  I also believe if you are mentally convinced that you don't want to do the training, and knowing the nature of that training, if you don't go in motivated, you are wasting time and money, are likely to tap out during the training, and will then transfer MOCs but as a Trg Failure rather than of a voluntary nature.  You could, of course, also be released from the CF as a Trg failure.  Lots to think about here, IMO.

WB

No.  I think that to, but I also wonder if she has thought about the fact that her request could be denied, as well as being ready to state why she wants to switch to Air Ops, why and what makes her think she is suited for that area, all things the PSO and her CoC are likely to ask her. 

I should have phrased my first line differently...

Are EITS and I the only guys who think that...? ;)

Wonderbread said:
Am I the only one who thinks that any officer who is doubting whether or not he/she should be there probably shouldn't be there?
That's a terrible opinion. Doubt, especially when one is so new, is normal and to be expected.

AlphaQup said:
That's a terrible opinion. Doubt, especially when one is so new, is normal and to be expected.

Maybe you'd have a different opinion if you understood and have done any actual military training, army in particular.

Wonderbread said:
I should have phrased my first line differently...

Are EITS and I the only guys who think that...? ;)

Nope, add Infanteer to that list....

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe you'd have a different opinion if you understood and have done any actual military training, army in particular.
Agreed. That being said, it's human nature to doubt oneself, to say those in the military do not doubt themselves is naive.

AlphaQup said:
Agreed. That being said, it's human nature to doubt oneself, to say those in the military do not doubt themselves is naive.

Oh, but I didn't say that.  ;)

Is there anyway to change the trade preferences once you've applied?  My interview/aptitude test is in a couple of weeks, should I do it before then or what?

Thanks.

Yes you can; just take the time to make sure that as you do so you've done your research, looked at what the recruiter has suggested, looked at the occupational life videos etc and if you can, talk to someone in the trades that you are thinking of.

Don't forget that the CFAT will point out whether you have the aptitude for these or any other trades, so keep your mind open and work with what the test is indicating to you.

MKO

Hi,
I've look a bit everywhere in the forum and didn't seem to find a satisfying answer. I past my CFAT about 2 weeks ago and the trade I was applying for was closed. I had to choose 3 other options.

My problem is: Even if i found other trades that might be interesting, infantry was really what I was looking for. Is it better to join in another trade and gain experience as a military and ask for changing trade after my minimum service time or to wait - maybe a full year - and directly enroll as an infantryman?

I'd like to say that I'm not in a hurry, but I would like to settle my application in the right track.

Thank you for your support,

PCuerrier

Back