• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

Rumour has it that the first Cyclone landed at CFB Shearwater this past Friday. Anybody able to confirm this?

Halifax — The Canadian Press
Published on Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 12:26PM EST

ARTICLE LINK

Trials are about to begin for the Canadian military's newest helicopter — the Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone.

Capt. Paul Finnemore at CFB Shearwater says a stripped-down test model arrived in Nova Scotia over the weekend from the company's facility in Florida.

For the next several weeks an assessment team will put it through its paces in a cold and more hostile marine environment.

The test model will carry a couple of dummy torpedoes to mimic actual flight conditions to more accurately gauge performance.

The federal government is spending $5-billion on 28 Cyclones, the first of which is scheduled to be delivered by June 2012.

The navy will fly its aging fleet of Sea King helicopters until then.

Baden  Guy said:
Halifax — The Canadian Press
Published on Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 12:26PM EST

ARTICLE LINK

Trials are about to begin for the Canadian military's newest helicopter — the Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone.

Capt. Paul Finnemore at CFB Shearwater says a stripped-down test model arrived in Nova Scotia over the weekend from the company's facility in Florida.

For the next several weeks an assessment team will put it through its paces in a cold and more hostile marine environment.

The test model will carry a couple of dummy torpedoes to mimic actual flight conditions to more accurately gauge performance.

The federal government is spending $5-billion on 28 Cyclones, the first of which is scheduled to be delivered by June 2012.

The navy will fly its aging fleet of Sea King helicopters until then.

I guess all the pilots can go on leave until June 2012 then.  ;D

I saw it fly up the harbour past the dockyard but it was Thursday I saw that.    I'm sure it was. 

I was hoping that since we live in an age of digital cameras and the internet that I would have seen a photo of it by now. We have been waiting since Brian Mulroney was in power to see a replacement for the Sea King.

Well I have seen 6 pictures of it too at work.  Just none out on the internet.

Sent to me on the internet:

A long time in coming, but a nice piece of kit!

FYI.  It's not officially delivered to the CF yet. Sikorsky still owns during the ship trials.

Cyclone 801 arrived Shearwater at 2328(L) Friday 19 Feb. Aircraft is now secured in 12 AMS Hgr in preparation for the commencement of SHOL trials.

Why just 2 blades....I always thought the "more blades the more lift capacity".....total layman in this regard, but just curious....

In the picture in reply # 354 above, I only see two.....now I know fur shur I can count higher than 2, and I do wear glasses, but..... ;D

ps....I stand partly corrected....there is a third blade mostly hidden by transmission.....

GAP said:
In the picture in reply # 354 above, I only see two.....now I know fur shur I can count higher than 2, and I do wear glasses, but..... ;D

ps....I stand partly corrected....there is a third blade mostly hidden by transmission.....

The fourth blade is hiding in plain sight! The colour yellow will set you free!

GAP said:

For those who can't see...  ;)

Uhhhh.....either #2 is crouching behind #1 or it dun fell off...... ;D

GAP said:
Uhhhh.....either #2 is crouching behind #1 or it dun fell off...... ;D

You're looking at #2 end-on (blade is pointing AT you) The tip is yellow.

To recreate this effect, you can paint your fingernail yellow, then point at your eye...    >:D

Does the nose gear extend any longer, it doe not appear to be much room between the dome behind the nose gear and the deck. It looks like if you came down hard the dome will take a hit?

its here . . .

http://tinyurl.com/yegtb2q

One small step for naval aviation . . .

Conclusion of a post at The Torch:

We sort of have a CH-148 Cyclone, at last
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2010/03/we-sort-of-have-ch-148-cyclone-at-last.html

Australia, for its part, is acquiring a new maritime helicopter--with a competition between two purpose-designed military helicopters.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/02/25/338801/australia-to-choose-new-naval-combat-helicopter-in-2011.html
Our Cyclones however are a military version of a civilian aircraft
http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/s92/
--for which Canada is the first and so far (and probably forever) only customer. Bit of a lesson there, eh?

Mark
Ottawa

Australia and Canada share a lot of the same issues with procurement of military equipment, failed helicopter purchase, new subs not performing as advertised, etc. It speaks volumes that almost every Western country has problems with military contracts going sideways.

Someone snapped a shot of the aircraft around Halifax.

1673076.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-%28Sikorsky-Aircraft%29/Sikorsky-CH-148-Cyclone/1673076/L/&sid=d955068bac2e7faf7109ffd1d8d28f9b

Back