• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFLRS Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Springroll,

Did you say do without a meal?  Or any meals?  Has anyone called or written their MP or asked to see a Harassment Advisor.  Skipping meals can't be healthy for all of you hard workers.  Isn't that against the Geneva Convention?

I can't remember having access to a computer when I was in Basic Training in Cornwallis.

Oh I guess that is because Commodore 64's were just coming into style in 1983.

Piper,

Where have you been in the last 2 decades...
"The CF needs to spread it's school arounds better and stop trying to jam them all into one big building. Like, put the language school in a town more inviting for us to go practice our french (ASU Montreal, the whats-it-called fort in Quebec City...)"  That fort in QC is called the Citadel or La Citadelle. 

We used to have OCdt trg in Chilliwack and Borden, Recruit trg in Cornwallis and Franco trg in Saint-Jean and Cbt Arms depots all over the place.  Of course we had around 100,00 soldiers then.  Now we have several thousand PATs waiting at schools and a war going on. 

Here's a straw - one for you and one for Springroll - suck  it  up!

I'd take it a few steps in the other direction and say that OCdt trg and recruit trg should be common until week X, at which point they would be split into their seperate streams, (officers learning sword drill, the differnt ways the CSD applies to them) etc.

There is little difference between the basics of drill, wearing of uniforms etc. that are taught to OCdts, and Pte.Rs, so why split them until their training requires it? The CF could recognise a significant cost savings in this manner, and lessen the strain on the senior training cadre while putting more candidates through the sausage machine that is the first 10 or so weeks of trg.

MdB said:
They already moved CFLS students out of the Mega to Fort St-Jean. I heard they would move the PAT platoon out (to Fort St-Jean), don't know if it's done.
Springroll said:
The only people that I know of that were transferred to Fort St Jean are the Officer's doing their second language training. PAT has not been moved other than up to floors 11 and 12 in the blue sector.

The day I was departing Fort St-Jean after my ILQ in the beginning of Nov, they were trucking over recruits and gear.  They had just spent a week fixing up one of the buildings for them.  Most of them were on crutches, canes etc, so the assumption was that they were the PATs, which we had been told all through course were going to be headed over.

GO!!! said:
I'd take it a few steps in the other direction and say that OCdt trg and recruit trg should be common until week X, at which point they would be split into their seperate streams, (officers learning sword drill, the differnt ways the CSD applies to them) etc.

There is little difference between the basics of drill, wearing of uniforms etc. that are taught to OCdts, and Pte.Rs, so why split them until their training requires it?

I guess that is why OCdts trained (3 platoons worth) at CFRS Cornwallis in the summer of 1983.  My BOTC was taught by the same cadre of instructors as the other 16 Platoons in garrison at the same time. 

Sword drill is more of avanced than BOTC, perhaps whatever today's Phase trg is called.  It would be dangerous to learn to march and learn sword drill at the same time.  How does the CSD apply differently to OCdts and recuits?  Perhaps that is another topic/thread in itself.

airmich said:
The day I was departing Fort St-Jean after my ILQ in the beginning of Nov, they were trucking over recruits and gear.  They had just spent a week fixing up one of the buildings for them.  Most of them were on crutches, canes etc, so the assumption was that they were the PATs, which we had been told all through course were going to be headed over.

Well, I was on PAT when they were talking about the move, but it never happened. They do have alot of taskings for those on PAT, so maybe what you saw was them over there working. I do have quite a few friends on PAT and I am sure I would have heard(or seen) some of them being whisked away to the Fort. From a reliable source, they moved the officers over to Fort St Jean for their second language training. As a matter of fact, that source is a member of this forum too.

As for Gunner98's comment on sucking it up, ummm, no. If recruits are required to eat or get a counselling, then they need to ensure that we are actually given the opportunity to eat, especially with the amount of physical training we are given. It makes more sense to fix the problem then to try and put a band aid on it or tell us to just suck it up.

Springroll said:
Well, I was on PAT when they were talking about the move, but it never happened. They do have alot of taskings for those on PAT, so maybe what you saw was them over there working. I do have quite a few friends on PAT and I am sure I would have heard(or seen) some of them being whisked away to the Fort. From a reliable source, they moved the officers over to Fort St Jean for their second language training. As a matter of fact, that source is a member of this forum too.

Wasn't just them working, as there was a caravan of civy vehicles loaded with people and gear, as well as big army trucks that they all started emptying, that were full of packing boxes, duffle bags, suitcases etc.  And I know that the personnel for SLT didn't move over the beginning of Nov, so unless the PATs were tasked with playing porter to the officers gear....

Any staff from CFLRS or Fort St-Jean that can confirm who moved over to the Fort beginning of Nov?

geo said:
Lines do not have to be immense.  Instructors have to ensure that platoons go thru on a staggered schedule.  as an example: Plt 1 thru 4 go in at 11:30,  Plt 5 thru 8 go in at 11:50,  Plt 9 thru 12 go in at 12:10.  If there is good coordination between the training cadre and the kitchen, there is absolutely no valid reason to have immense lineups in the kitchens.

Any staff about? comments?
The lines are pretty big, I remember on my Week Zero...yes week zero they have that now....I waited in likne for 15 mins and we had a 30 mins lunch break given to us by the staff.....Now it doesnt happen all the time, but it does happen, and when we start getting more Platoons in it will happin more offten, and to more effect.

Gunner98 said:
Now we have several thousand PATs waiting at schools and a war going on.  
Here's a straw - one for you and one for Springroll - suck  it  up!

Springroll,

Do you think the guys on 30-day hikes, through the mountains of Afghanistan getting shot at and eating IMPs, care that you missed a meal?

Piper,

The reason I said suck it up is that there is a war going on so Utopia will have to wait.  The best people for the instructor jobs are a little busy right now.

Gunner98 said:
Springroll,

Do you think the guys on 30-day hikes, through the mountains of Afghanistan getting shot at and eating IMPs, care that you missed a meal?

I am in no way minimizing what our men and women are doing over there, but when you can be counselled(only need 7) off a platoon, and you get counsellings for not eating, well, it seems a bit screwy if you aren't given the time to eat.

You know what, give me an IMP to eat on those days when the line ups and the timings don't mesh and I would be happy.

I waited in likne for 15 mins and we had a 30 mins lunch break given to us by the staff

Giving you 10 minutes to eat and 5 to move to your RV point? I don't speak for everyone but that was our average timing every day and we had plenty of time eat.

Last time I was in La Mega there was a variety store, perhaps you could pick up some granola bars or some fruit to tide you over.  Always be prepared, you never know when and where you will next get to eat or a chance to rest.

Oh, by the way I wasn't aware that being happy was a PO check during training.  I must have missed that one during my 22 years in uniform of which 12 years have been spent in training institutions.

Is the counselling getting to you or just the threat of it or the dismay caused by your pals ending up in PAT platoon? 

Gunner98 said:
Oh, by the way I wasn't aware that being happy was a PO check during training.  I must have missed that one during my 22 years in uniform of which 12 years have been spent in training institutions.

.....getting annoyed Gunner?

Not that there is any sarcasm in your posts  :)

potato

Spud,

Not annoyed yet, just thought I would stop to play in the sandbox.

Gunner98 said:
Spud,

Not annoyed yet, just thought I would stop to play in the sandbox.

My giggle for the day, thanks. Too funny!

Gunner98 said:
Last time I was in La Mega there was a variety store, perhaps you could pick up some granola bars or some fruit to tide you over.  Always be prepared, you never know when and where you will next get to eat or a chance to rest.

No food or drink(other than water) permitted on the platoon floors, so that one is out. Being that you have spent 12 years in training institutions, I would think you would know that one.

Gunner98 said:

Only happy in the sense that I can do my job to the best of my ability because I was given the chance to have some nourishment.

Gunner98 said:
Is the counselling getting to you or just the threat of it or the dismay caused by your pals ending up in PAT platoon?   

Just want to finish the course with as little counsellings as possible, and if they can be prevented by proper scheduling by the staff, then that is what should be done. I also don't like the idea of people being sent to PAT for something they have no control over.

Here is a little tip for you:

Take the little wax paper baggy things of cereal out of the mini-boxes at breakfast time and stash them in your pocket.  You can fit a couple in your pockets and that way if you miss a meal you still have food.  Beef jerky stays fresh forever and also fits handily in pockets.  Sunflower seeds are gold and can become a negotiable instrument in dire moments.

Some of those little life lessons learned on CAP.  I missed TONS of meals because of lineups but I never went hungry.

Springroll said:
No food or drink(other than water) permitted on the platoon floors, so that one is out. Being that you have spent 12 years in training institutions, I would think you would know that one.

Oh no, you didn't

Only happy in the sense that I can do my job to the best of my ability because I was given the chance to have some nourishment.

You ever stop to think that maybe this is part of the way they train you so that you CAN do your job to the best of YOUR ability EVEN if you have little nourishment? Timmy isn't gonna stop shooting at you or hold off on his suicide bomber so that you can have a chance to have your eggs and bacon.

Just want to finish the course with as little counsellings as possible, and if they can be prevented by proper scheduling by the staff, then that is what should be done. I also don't like the idea of people being sent to PAT for something they have no control over.

Now you are passing the buck onto the staff. "proper scheduling"? I would suggest you put up a memo, and make sure you use those 2 words. I can tell you right now what the response will be. Once again, the rush is not only because of time restraints, it's also a way of seeing how you deal with stress. EVERYTHING is a test. Challenge yourself, and YES, suck it up. Everyone else here did.

Springroll said:
No food or drink (other than water) permitted on the platoon floors, so that one is out. Being that you have spent 12 years in training institutions, I would think you would know that one...

Springroll - Let's read between the line ( )

So you want to be a well-fed gray soldier (no counselling, only soup for you) who plays strictly by the rules (no food on the floors - how about one person holds the stash of food each day/week and it moves around kind of like Russian Roulette), whines about poor planning on the part of the staff (stressful is it) and then watches her pals go to PAT (rather than take care of them).  How am I doing so far?

As for Officers going to Fort St-Jean, my buddies are there. They will have shuttle buses to go to the Mega every day. They moved there the day after the parade, I tell you, it's very tight in there. They were as happy as us to see us leaving.

About same or different courses, I know the subjects are almost the same between IAP and BMQ. How it's taught and the way the staff drive us may be different. The whole IAP/BOTP is oriented toward leadership, responsability, lead by example, difference enough. They ask us to be leader right now, not tomorrow. That means, take action, make a decision and be responsible for it.

SamIAm said:
Take the little wax paper baggy things of cereal out of the mini-boxes at breakfast time and stash them in your pocket.  You can fit a couple in your pockets and that way if you miss a meal you still have food.  Beef jerky stays fresh forever and also fits handily in pockets.  Sunflower seeds are gold and can become a negotiable instrument in dire moments.

To add to your comment, I many times smuggled food outside the cafeteria, never been caught. To play it a better way, don't smuggle, just buy some energy bars. Anyway, there machines all over the base. Even though we had 5 mins to eat, I never went hungry. The Mega is a 5 stars hotel, keep that in mind.

SamIAm said:
Some of those little life lessons learned on CAP.  I missed TONS of meals because of lineups but I never went hungry.

Me neither while at Farnham. Seems that nerves and adrenaline keep you up.

Scrooge_Des said:
You ever stop to think that maybe this is part of the way they train you so that you CAN do your job to the best of YOUR ability EVEN if you have little nourishment? Timmy isn't gonna stop shooting at you or hold off on his suicide bomber so that you can have a chance to have your eggs and bacon.

One's do what one's can. If you have something to eat, you eat it. When you don't, you hang tight.

Scrooge_Des said:
Now you are passing the buck onto the staff. "proper scheduling"? I would suggest you put up a memo, and make sure you use those 2 words. I can tell you right now what the response will be. Once again, the rush is not only because of time restraints, it's also a way of seeing how you deal with stress. EVERYTHING is a test. Challenge yourself, and YES, suck it up. Everyone else here did.

Everything is a test? Most. When the platoon screws up, is late, whatever and you have to shorten meal time to follow the schedule, I understand. I don't think my staff ever let us 5-10 mins to eat just for the sake of a test. There's plenty of situations they can test us in. Not at the Mega. As for Farnham, we really didn't have a schedule, just timing, we did what we had too. And yes, we skipped meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back