• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

Hi,

We're considering asking for a PMQ in Kingston. 

From the pricing list, it seems like it's still cheaper than an house (we're looking at 4 bedrooms, and would ask for something over 1300 pi²).  Listing say about 900$/month.  The houses we'll looking for would give us a mortgage payment about 1500$/month... if we add the taxes, it's closer to 2000$/month.

I'm fully aware that if we do buy an house, we would get something of higher quality (hardwood floor, garage, basement, 2+ bathrooms, etc).  However, since we'll be there for 1-2 years (my husband is training there), we may accept the trade off to be able to get more money on the side for our next home.

I also know it is far from certain we could get one of these house, since they are fewer of the bigger houses.  However, we need a minimum of 3, since my husband as a daugther and I need a closed office (working from home).

Couple of questions:

1- First comments on that thread aren't really positive, but then again, date back to 2003 ?  Is the situation still the same ?

2- I will be working from home.  Does the military takes that into account when deciding who gets what ?  My guess is no, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.

3- Is the insulation still has bad, or does it vary from house to house ?  Working from home, I don't want to be cold 24h a day !

Thanks

norris said:
Is there a difference between Officer married housing and NCM married housing?

Yes.  One has an officer living in it, and the other doesn't.

Jadzia said:
Hi,

We're considering asking for a PMQ in Kingston. 

From the pricing list, it seems like it's still cheaper than an house (we're looking at 4 bedrooms, and would ask for something over 1300 pi²).  Listing say about 900$/month.  The houses we'll looking for would give us a mortgage payment about 1500$/month... if we add the taxes, it's closer to 2000$/month.

I'm fully aware that if we do buy an house, we would get something of higher quality (hardwood floor, garage, basement, 2+ bathrooms, etc).   However, since we'll be there for 1-2 years (my husband is training there), we may accept the trade off to be able to get more money on the side for our next home.

I also know it is far from certain we could get one of these house, since they are fewer of the bigger houses.  However, we need a minimum of 3, since my husband as a daugther and I need a closed office (working from home).

Couple of questions:

1- First comments on that thread aren't really positive, but then again, date back to 2003 ?  Is the situation still the same ?

2- I will be working from home.  Does the military takes that into account when deciding who gets what ?  My guess is no, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.

3- Is the insulation still has bad, or does it vary from house to house ?  Working from home, I don't want to be cold 24h a day !

Thanks

I was posted to Kingston for two years.  The waiting list for a PMQ was two years long.  I was forced to follow the advice I got before I joined the CF:  "Buy a house everytime you are Posted and when you retire you will own a house."

Look at these topics:

Entering the CF and YOUR Money....

Mortgage Interest Rate Buy Down

There are other topics that can give you ideas of what to do, if you can figure out the keywords that will lead you to them in a SEARCH.

Jadzia said:

Don't forget to throw in maintenance.

Who gets a "Designated House"--senior officers?  commandant?  chaplains?

George Wallace said:
I was posted to Kingston for two years.  The waiting list for a PMQ was two years long.  I was forced to follow the advice I got before I joined the CF:  "Buy a house everytime you are Posted and when you retire you will own a house."

Look at these topics:

Entering the CF and YOUR Money....

Mortgage Interest Rate Buy Down

There are other topics that can give you ideas of what to do, if you can figure out the keywords that will lead you to them in a SEARCH.

George I was posted to Kingston in 02 and had zero wait for a PMQ with a basement! That being said I agree with your idea of purchasing a home. It may look like more money being spent but you will start building equity and after 20+ years you would more than likely find yourself mortage free.

I was only in the Kingston Q's for a short period but have this to offer you. Cosmetically my Q looked amazing comared to what I expected. Then it turned to winter and I had a wind tunnel running through the house effectively lowering the inside temperature to match the outside! You will pay the difference in utilities, and it will not be cheap. Buy the house, it will actually be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the input.

The idea of PMQ was only for that posting, since we know it's a very short period, the 2 years being a maximum.

Totally agree that if someone takes the PMQ, he won't get any equity.  Trouble in most case is that when we have more money available, we all tend to spend more, not to save it aside.  If someone save the difference, the equation isn't the same.

Another issue is that although the housing price won't decrease everywhere in Canada, increase expectancy until the end of 2010 are very low (close to 0% in fact).  Increasing house value is usually a huge benefit, since it's very hard to get the same investment return elsewhere. 

The basic idea we had was to calculate the difference between what we would put on a house and the one on PMQ (even with the utilities being higher in PMQ, we would still be able to free up to 600$ a month) and put that aside. 
Agreed, we wouldn't gain much investment revenue out of it but it's still good money.

Anyways, we are far from having decided yet. 

Thanks again

Jadzia said:
Thanks for the input.

The idea of PMQ was only for that posting, since we know it's a very short period, the 2 years being a maximum.

Totally agree that if someone takes the PMQ, he won't get any equity.  Trouble in most case is that when we have more money available, we all tend to spend more, not to save it aside.  If someone save the difference, the equation isn't the same.

Another issue is that although the housing price won't decrease everywhere in Canada, increase expectancy until the end of 2010 are very low (close to 0% in fact).  Increasing house value is usually a huge benefit, since it's very hard to get the same investment return elsewhere. 

The basic idea we had was to calculate the difference between what we would put on a house and the one on PMQ (even with the utilities being higher in PMQ, we would still be able to free up to 600$ a month) and put that aside. 
Agreed, we wouldn't gain much investment revenue out of it but it's still good money.

Anyways, we are far from having decided yet. 

Thanks again

Jadzia

You can look at it another way too.  Paying a mortgage and having to "ownership" of your home is a lot different than paying a rent that only pays off someone else's mortgage.  Even with a 0% increase, you will in a way be saving in your investment in the home.  DND will pay your Legal, Realtor and Moving expenses and when you sell your home, even if it is for the same as what you paid for it, that money goes back into your pocket.  If you live in a PMQ, then you get no money back on you posting for the PMQ; you only get your Moving expenses.

Has anyone had experience taking a PMQ for a period as short as 3 months? 

I'm at CFB Gagetown at the moment, in the shacks.  About to start a course (CAP), which will finish the last week of April.  We've been told that the next course (Arty 1.1) will be held in either Petawawa or Shilo from May to August, due to a lack of instructors here over the summer.  After that, it's back to Gagetown for Arty 1.2, from September to December. Then, it's back to Pet or Shilo to my regiment (fingers are crossed for Pet), at which point we'll buy a house.

It's the 3 months from May to August that are making things complicated... my wife is pregnant with our first child, due on 30 June ... and we'd really like to be living in the same city for that!

My plan right now is to try to get into a PMQ for those 3 months, then move back to Gagetown in a PMQ for another 3 months, then finally go to regiment for a longer posting.  I'm starting the application processes for both Shilo and Petawawa, with the intent to cancel whichever I don't get sent to.  Hopefully I get more than a week's notice.

Any ideas on other options to pursue for those two 3 month periods?

rytel said:
Has anyone had experience taking a PMQ for a period as short as 3 months? 

I'm at CFB Gagetown at the moment, in the shacks.  About to start a course (CAP), which will finish the last week of April.  We've been told that the next course (Arty 1.1) will be held in either Petawawa or Shilo from May to August, due to a lack of instructors here over the summer.  After that, it's back to Gagetown for Arty 1.2, from September to December. Then, it's back to Pet or Shilo to my regiment (fingers are crossed for Pet), at which point we'll buy a house.

It's the 3 months from May to August that are making things complicated... my wife is pregnant with our first child, due on 30 June ... and we'd really like to be living in the same city for that!

My plan right now is to try to get into a PMQ for those 3 months, then move back to Gagetown in a PMQ for another 3 months, then finally go to regiment for a longer posting.  I'm starting the application processes for both Shilo and Petawawa, with the intent to cancel whichever I don't get sent to.  Hopefully I get more than a week's notice.

Any ideas on other options to pursue for those two 3 month periods?

If I am reading this right you are going to move your wife to Petawawa and then back to Gagetown at your own expense because I don't see you getting posted to Petawawa for a three month course?  As for the PMQ idea, it sounds good if you can swing it.

Correct, it will be at my own expense.  I might be able to swing a paid for move back to Gagetown... but either way I'm just towing a uhaul trailer behind my car.  Mileage will just about cover that.

I called up CFHA in Pet and they mentioned putting us up in a motel if no PMQs were available.

Hi, I will be applying very soon to the Army, most likely for the Infantry position. After all the training, depending on where I am posted, what are my options for housing? I've been looking at some of your posts throughout this topic and have noticed most people are not too happy about their living situations.

If I could get a list of the options for living and the positives and negatives of them including- costs, quality of living e.c.t. , for single personnel, people with families, e.ct.,  that would be greatly appreciated and would help me and others decide on what options would be best for us.

Cheers my fellow Canadians  :salute: :cdn:

Okay, has any one thought about fighting CFHA on their Rent raises? Iv delt with tennant law before and  $100 a year or more is illigal in most places, yet CFHA gets away with it? How?

My kick in the B@ll's comes like this :

PMQ raise : $130
PLD Drop : $186

How does that work? I mean the PLD is to offset the Cost of living right? so how can they drop it yet allow CFHA to raise the rent ? so needless to say, my PMQ Rent is effrectively going from $500 p/mth to almost $700, in one year!!!

I think you may be SOL, at least in Quebec: http://www.checkfirstonline.com/rent_increases.htm Says that Quebec landlords can increase their rent by whatever they want when they want as long as the lease is over 12 months, as long as they give you notice.

I just got myself a 3 bedroom Single house in Kingston, PMQ and am only paying $915 a month plus utilities. My apartment downtown cost $885 utilities included, for basically half the square footage. Its not quite the same as owning a house, but with the housing prices in Kingston right now, I'd need a big downpayment to get something half decent and semi-close to the base.

Well here I can get a decent apartment for about $650 only about a 10 min drive from base. I really wonder where they get the criteria for their Upping the rent to local market value.. My PMQ is litteraly falling appart, and when I had them come look at the water damage in the roof's.. yes multiple places in my pmq have water damage.. they told me its normal for an older PMQ.... NORMAL!!!

Iv called them to come back... yet they tell me either "They will send someone out ASAP" or "Its already been looked at and deemed normal" And there is no recourse you can take on them. Iv tried... No one will fight CFHA. As most of the local inspectors or contractors are on CFHA payroll.

nice eh?

Puck that is not correct. In Quebec, the latest numbers from Regie de Logement are
Dwellings heated    Estimated increase
with electricity 0.8 %
with gas 1.8 %
with oil 5.1 %
Unheated dwellings 0.6 %

This is from http://www.rdl.gouv.qc.ca/en/outils/Fixation2009.asp . Unless the landlord did some work or renovations on the dwelling,
those are the average numbers to follow. There are specific guidelines to avoid gouging by landlords.

I guess what Im trying to say is, why are We falling to so a system that is failing. Were not suppose to be paying them to screw us over. Were also not he ones who have to make the changes because somone else feels it to be right... We are paying them, so they are working for us. Its a service they are providing us, and we should be satisfied with. not the other way around.

Is there no group that is looking out for OUR needs? If there isnt I think there should be! They say CFHA is a civilian run organization, well why then do they fall under gov. rules and regulations? They can't get away with having the best of both worlds. Its one or the other, and with the choise comes the ups and downs. You cant win them all.. and CFHA has been trying for nearly 10 years now.

In the begining, CHFA was for the people, things were getting done, and most people were happy. But now that they are in control.. for get about it. I just called to day... AGAIN.. to get them to look at my kitchen roof... AGAIN... and they said when they get to it.

For folks that run into problems with CFHA, there is a complaints process on there website that you can utilise.  When we lived in the PMQs we had a major ant  infestation and mold that they kept blaming on us and refused to address.  After exhausting all avenues, I filed a complaint.  The ants were in the tree next to the house like I had been saying all along and the mold was a result of poor air flow.  Once the air exchanger was installed and tree removed we were good to go. My biggest peeve about the payroll is how the local cleaning companies are in with CFHA and you need to have a spotless house when you move out.  Nothing wrong leaving things the way you found them, but since it will be repainted and repaired after the move, CFHA will need to clean it again. At least we hope.

The complaint system works REALLY well.  At least it did for me. I used it 2 times, once in Winnipeg and once in Kingston. Both times, CFHA initally refused to provide help (twice for bathroom problems).  Once the complaints were filed, the repairs were started within 3 days.

Back