• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

I know PMQ's are old and not the best looking houses but what is going on in Petawawa?  I have the option for a posting to Pet this summer if I want it.  It's nice to have a choice as I have a few years left and would like a non-Ottawa experience.  I'm told there are a lot of non-field units I could get.  I took a drive there yesterday and it looked like a ghetto, especially the South side, garbage everywhere, grass not cut or in some cases, more sand than grass.  Other than one street with some houses that looked not too bad, is everything on the southside row houses?

[quote author=stellarpanther]  I'm told there are a lot of non-field units I could get.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

North Side is better. South side rowhouses that are renovated are pretty nice inside for a PMQ.

Jarnhamar said:
Absolutely.

That's good to hear.  I heard bad things about the town of Pet and Pembroke before but I honestly think both look great.  The scenery in that area is beautiful.  The only thing that honestly shocked me was the PMQ's, especially on the South side.  I'm surprised the base Chief doesn't come down like a ton of bricks on those living there.

I know you don't really get a choice, but have you ever considered asking for Kingston? Might be less of shock for you than Pet, and it still gets you out of Ottawa. It's a pretty nice place to live, IMO.

Just a thought.

reverse_engineer said:
I know you don't really get a choice, but have you ever considered asking for Kingston? Might be less of shock for you than Pet, and it still gets you out of Ottawa. It's a pretty nice place to live, IMO.

Just a thought.

I did ask, I love that city but was told nothing is available.  I'm told it's Pet or stay put.  It's not even for sure I will get to leave but I'm told there is a strong chance I will get it if I want to.  Apparently they have shortages there in several ranks.  It surprises me because I knew someone who practically begged for 3 years to go there and they finally moved him to Halifax instead.

stellarpanther said:
I did ask, I love that city but was told nothing is available.  I'm told it's Pet or stay put.  It's not even for sure I will get to leave but I'm told there is a strong chance I will get it if I want to.  Apparently they have shortages there in several ranks.  It surprises me because I knew someone who practically begged for 3 years to go there and they finally moved him to Halifax instead.

I know it’s not a place you stated that you wanted but...

Not sure what trade you are, but if you are a trade who sails don’t even think about Halifax or Esq unless you are ready willing and able to sail please.  We don’t need any more peeps posted in who aren’t ready willing and able to go to sea.

Your self-professed aversion to field units does not sit well with me.  And makes wary of you coming this way.

[quote author=stellarpanther] The only thing that honestly shocked me was the PMQ's,
[/quote]

Wait until you get surprise posted to a field unit, you won't have to worry about spending too much time in pmqs.

stellarpanther said:
It surprises me because I knew someone who practically begged for 3 years to go there and they finally moved him to Halifax instead.

Halifax Tar said:
Your self-professed aversion to field units does not sit well with me.  And makes wary of you coming this way.

What I think Tar is trying to say is, sailing can be hard on people and their families. It's also, surprisingly, actually pretty easy to get out of sailing.  Any of dozen of different physical, mental, or compassionate reasons, whether mild, severe, or downright fake, can get you landed.

Too often in the Navy we have the bulk of the sailing being done by the healthy willing few, with the short billets being hogged by the lame and lazy (we call it NATO Knee, or RIMPAC Back) .

So, I don't think Tar really means to say he thinks less of you as a person/soldier for your aversion to field time; I think he just wants to avoid the situation where you come here, get posted to a ship, allowing him to go ashore to a shore billet, only for you several months later to suddenly "become" unfit-sea, requiring Tar to go back to sea to replace you.

At least, I think that's what he means...

Lumber said:
What I think Tar is trying to say is, sailing can be hard on people and their families. It's also, surprisingly, actually pretty easy to get out of sailing.  Any of dozen of different physical, mental, or compassionate reasons, whether mild, severe, or downright fake, can get you landed.

Too often in the Navy we have the bulk of the sailing being done by the healthy willing few, with the short billets being hogged by the lame and lazy (we call it NATO Knee, or RIMPAC Back) .

So, I don't think Tar really means to say he thinks less of you as a person/soldier for your aversion to field time; I think he just wants to avoid the situation where you come here, get posted to a ship, allowing him to go ashore to a shore billet, only for you several months later to suddenly "become" unfit-sea, requiring Tar to go back to sea to replace you.

I dont work or play in grey areas.  What I say is what I mean.  Spelling mistakes and all.

Halifax Tar said:
I dont work or play in grey areas.  What I say is what I mean.  Spelling mistakes and all.

Fair enough.

Halifax Tar said:
I know it’s not a place you stated that you wanted but...

Not sure what trade you are, but if you are a trade who sails don’t even think about Halifax or Esq unless you are ready willing and able to sail please.  We don’t need any more peeps posted in who aren’t ready willing and able to go to sea.

I'm HRA and while I'm not going to Halifax or Esquimalt,  MCpl's don't get posted to ships or so I'm told by several people including a CPO2 who seems extremely knowledgeable.  Since getting told there is a good chance of going to Pet if I want it, I've been asking a lot of questions and I'm told there are several people who go to Pet and never go to a field unit depending on their trade.  An example I was given was that some units do ruck sack marches etc, there are some people (I'm not one of them although I haven't touched one it years so who knows) who can't do them, they are older, have bad knees , back or whatever but can still do their force test.  They often don't send them to field units so I'm told because it will be a clearly bad fit.  It doesn't make them bad CAF mbr's because they can't do the same stuff as a ripped 25 year old.  For fitness, the requirement is to do the Force test every year. 

Jarnhamar said:
Wait until you get surprise posted to a field unit, you won't have to worry about spending too much time in pmqs.

From what I'm told by someone I know in one of the field units, the HRA's/FSA's are not sleeping in the field that often.  According to him, while many set up tents etc, many HRA's/FSA's go home at night and return the next morning.

Lumber said:

Since I'm not requesting or being posted to a coast, it's not an issue, plus MCpl's in my trade don't get posted to ships so it wouldn't be an issue with me.  I've worked with several navy mbr's in the past and heard how easy it is to get off a ship.  Not sure what it's like to get out of a field unit but I've heard there are ways as well.  If I was sent to one, I would give it my best, but I'm not that young nor do I have any illusion that I will be able to keep up with some of these young people and I'm not pushing myself to have a heart attack or get a divorce.  I'm a firm believer in family first.  Leadership preaches it all the time. 
Not to get off topic as I often easily do, but several years ago when I was a Cpl, I was working at a unit and the Colonel came in shortly after 9:30am one day, for some reason she stopped to talk to me and talked to me for a minute about how cold it was.  She said she told herself that when it's -30 degrees and colder, she's going to drive her daughter to school and that family needs to come first.  I replied, that's really nice of you ma'am, I'm going start doing that too.  She hesitantly said, you should and again said family first.  I don't think my WO liked it but didn't say anything.  I did it twice that year just because and surprisingly my WO laughed about it each time but someone in another section didn't find it funny and gave me dirty looks over it. 

Just a heads up, this week is bulk pick up in Petawawa.  CFHA Petawawa has 2 by-law officers. They patrol multiple times a day.  The south side usually doesn't look as bad.

cdnchck said:
Just a heads up, this week is bulk pick up in Petawawa.  CFHA Petawawa has 2 by-law officers. They patrol multiple times a day.  The south side usually doesn't look as bad.

Lol... that's explains it.  In Ottawa in the PSP Housing they are so strict, they will put a notice in your mailbox if you forget to roll up your hose.  In addition to being  hotter than hell yesterday, there was a strong breeze so it might have blown some of the garbage away from the curb making it look even worse.

Back