• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

Depends on the base and what's available.

You only pay about $100 for your room, and it likely is not a single (they are in limited quantity).
The $500 is for rations.

paleomedic said:
You only pay about $100 for your room, and it likely is not a single (they are in limited quantity).
The $500 is for rations.

The food better be good for 500$...if it's not, could I prep my own food since I'm an athlete?

Muscles And Brains said:
The food better be good for 500$...if it's not, could I prep my own food since I'm an athlete?

Enrolling in the CAF is NOT a scholarship. Yes, we want physically fit people, but there is a balance. It's been 30+ years since the CAF has had "fitness only" people. In my career, I know a few members protected ,for PT, but this is not normal in the CAF

Muscles And Brains said:

Yep, you're an athlete. A tactical athlete. Your "sport" is now your job, and being a Kenyan marathoner does nothing to help you move heavy aircraft parts, close with and destroy the enemy, or sling supplies at a tactical DP.

Muscles And Brains said:

The charge for rations cannot be compared to your grocery bill, because it also includes the cost for preparation, storage and infrastructure.  Yes, the food is good, but it's institutional, which means it tries to satisfy the average palate.  There's plenty of it, but it can be a bit mundane from time to time.  There will be sufficient choice, though, for the average person to eat a healthy balanced diet.  However, if you're looking for protein shakes infused with kale and whatever grass is trendy lately, you're going to be disappointed.  You might be able to get a three-egg white omelet at breakfast if you ask nicely and it's not too busy.

You MAY be allowed to "de-link" rations from quarters (depends on the circumstances and location), meaning that you would only have the cost of quarters deducted from your pay, but that means you would not be able to eat in the mess, unless you buy individual meal tickets (which are more expensive).  You would be completely on your own for food, which could be awkward, again depending on circumstances. You definitely will NOT be allowed to have a toaster, microwave or any other kind of heating/cooking appliance in the barracks.  Some barracks may have common rooms where these things are available, but again, this depends on location and circumstances.

Muscles And Brains said:
The food better be good for 500$...

Opinions,

What's the food like?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/96247.75.html
4 pages.

Army food is 'cheaper than a dog's dinner' 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/63221.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

Food
https://army.ca/forums/threads/112674.25.html
2 pages.

Good food in the Army?? 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/36990.25
2 pages.

How‘s the food?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13722.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

Food
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2003.0

Etc...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+food&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=UyXQV8_XFoiN8QeBkbrgBg&gws_rd=ssl#

We are posted to Wainwright and are on the list for a PMQ. Is there a grandfather clause with regards to pets? The limit, I have been told, is 2 per house but we will be moving there with 2 small dogs and a cat. Looking for any information. Also wondering about renting off base. I have googled like crazy and keep coming up empty!

Does anyone know how long the wait time is for a Pmq in shilo

Jwh said:
Does anyone know how long the wait time is for a Pmq in shilo

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-housing/housing-locations/shilo-housing.page  give them a call maybe?

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. "( Not seeing a more appropriate thread so here I go)

Greeting Forum, I moved out of my RHU/PMQ almost 2 months ago, and recently got a $4k bill from CFHA to repaint the whole unit.

I seem to remember seeing a reference or a note some where that only the CDS can order a member to pay upto a certain amount and the DM for amounts beyond in situations similar.

I do have some other ideas to deal with what I believe is fine print trickery one their part, but would hope that there is something in black in white and even if there isn't notice for the next member CFHA will try to have you sign blank cheques on march out.

Did you have a preliminary inspection prior to march out? At that time were you told of issues that you needed to correct prior to march out, such as returning the colour of the walls to their original colour or patching holes and repainting the affected areas to match the original paint? If so, did you comply with that?

Charging someone to repaint an entire RHU is a pretty extreme measure, usually they only charge for the specific issue they need to fix if you don't.

The CFHA website also has an occupant handbook that describes normal wear and tear and how you can be found liable for excessive damage.

GreenMarine said:
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. "( Not seeing a more appropriate thread so here I go)

Greeting Forum, I moved out of my RHU/PMQ almost 2 months ago, and recently got a $4k bill from CFHA to repaint the whole unit.

I seem to remember seeing a reference or a note some where that only the CDS can order a member to pay upto a certain amount and the DM for amounts beyond in situations similar.

I do have some other ideas to deal with what I believe is fine print trickery one their part, but would hope that there is something in black in white and even if there isn't notice for the next member CFHA will try to have you sign blank cheques on march out.

The only scenario I could see this happening is if you were there for only a couple of months and you had painted throughout without permission...

We lived there for over a year, we smoked in the PMQ, during pre-march was given 3 options; Deep Clean, DIY Paint, Let them paint.

With the clock ticking I selected Deep Clean, 72 man hours within a 3 day period with 4 person party before final march out.

On the March out the inspectors wrote down smells of heavy cleaners and tobacco. I noted to him whatever they used to paint the ceiling made it impossible to clean, but walls, floors, surfaces all done several times, with TSP being our "heavy" cleaner.

All to have them invoice me over $4000 with a 30 days to pay or 3% annual interest is applied. 

Some email banter has gone back in forth since with CFHA quoting their occupant handbook.

I had no clue what TSP was, so I Googled it. In the Wikipedia entry it states:
Painting enhancement
TSP is still in common use for the cleaning, degreasing, and deglossing of walls prior to painting. TSP breaks the gloss of oil-based paints and opens the pores of latex-based paint, providing a surface better suited for the adhesion of the subsequent layer
It looks like your attempts at deep cleaning destroyed the finish of the paint in the RHU, hence the complete repaint and subsequent bill.

GreenMarine said:
We lived there for over a year, we smoked in the PMQ, during pre-march was given 3 options; Deep Clean, DIY Paint, Let them paint.

...with TSP being our "heavy" cleaner...

Edit to add: Italicized text

I don't have any experience with CFHA, so I'm sorry you're saddled with that bill. But I have TSP and I use it for the inside of my oven and microwave, sides of appliances and such. During my pre-CAF days bottles of it were accessible in some of the places I used to work for degreasing duties also. It's an extremely harsh cleaner.

Having obviously not seen the inside of your former residence, I can only say that if that's what you used on the walls, I can understand how housing came to that conclusion. Not only can it affect the surface of the paint and walls due to it's corrosiveness, it requires a proper rinse after use. (Apologies, as I don’t have a no-rinse formula...you might. I wasn’t aware one existed until I looked it up.) The remnants of it can also create issues with new layers of paint being applied in some instances.

You might be able to get away with using a very small amount quickly on a small spot in a discreet area if the paint is of glossy finish, it's hardwood underneath and not drywall. But yea, a simple latex, flat-finish paint on (probably) drywall? I'd avoid that.

Back