• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

yeah I did read about the fact that if you have a business you need to let them know , so they can apply the regulations and all that stuff , but I don't know if you are called a business under X amount of income in Ontario or as soon as you produce / sell animals you are automatically called a business  ???

I will have to check on that part too !

I know here in Kingston, someone posted on the unofficial Facebook page for the base, that exotic pets would no longer be allowed.  Also, I think no more than two pets in general.  I have a vague memory that it was a CFHA wide policy, so that it wasn't a "but I could do this in CFB X, why not here!?"

Edit to add: here is the screen shot someone posted, from the newsletter.

28edcadd04e2e5a4f61d47a2b0e8843e.png

It does say "CFHA" on the policy, which is what led me to believe it's not just Kingston. But it might be just Kingston. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There used to be a "PMQ users manual" (for lack of a better term) on the CFHA website which spelled out in general terms the ability (or not) to run a business or keep animals in the RHU.

From there, you then need to check your local base standing orders, as there may be local rules that further restrict what you can or cannot do in an RHU.

Generally speaking, CFHA makes rules that are designed to protect the long term health of the buildings and to promote basic harmony between neighbours.

Base Commanders generally make rules for PMQ patches that take discipline and security into account.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

if ever they would not let me bring my reptiles in the PMQ ( which I am not going to debate if they decide its a no go ) is it possible to ask to live OFF-BASE while I am doing my Initial Trade Training , by stating that my business is not allowed in the Qs and that I will not simply leave my business. 

We started this because my girlfriend wanted to have a stay-at-home business while I was able to do what I wanted in the Canadian Forces.  She loves this , and we are having a tun of fun doing it, not enough to live of it tho.  But I cant ask her to follow me in Borden or anywhere and simply tell her that the thing we have been building for the past 4 years is no more possible and that she has to leave it up.

Buying a house with initial trade training is just a no-brainer ... and since I don't even know how long I will be in Borden , I cant ask her to stay in Quebec and wait until I get my first Posting.

I could always ask her to get an apartment around Borden , but prices are really expensive and she doesn't speak English , so trying to get a job will be quite hard. 

I honestly never thought that it was going to be a problem having my pets with me until 1 week ago.  I mean I currently live in a 3 bedroom apartment and all of them are in 1 room with a rack system so its no "escape" proof.   

krimynal said:
I honestly never thought that it was going to be a problem having my pets with me until 1 week ago.

Pets? They're Emotional Support Animals!  :)

"Do not pet. I am working!"

As always,  the CAF is your most trusted source of information.

Attachments

• support-lizzard.jpg
    support-lizzard.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 251
  • i-am-working3.jpg
    i-am-working3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 285
because I did look up at Borden and Angus ( Essa Township ) Bylaws , and NOTHING on the site or in the rules is said about reptiles. 

I know that Barrie as all reptiles in the Pythons and Boas category banned , but Borden is not under Barrie. 

I Am also looking if I can apply for a type of Permit or anything like that that I could pay each month in order to be 100% legal with the city and surroundings.

I am also more than happy to provide my proof of insurance / to have someone from CFHA come to my PMQ and see how safe it is. 

I spend my years here breeding snake , doing exposition , trying to debunk all the wrong that people claim about them, I know they have a very bad reputation .... but I don't want to have to get rid of all my collection ....

krimynal said:
I spend my years here breeding snake , doing exposition , trying to debunk all the wrong that people claim about them, I know they have a very bad reputation .... but I don't want to have to get rid of all my collection ....

If you don't mind me asking, how does one "get rid" of a collection of snakes? Just let them go, like Free Willy? < Just kidding.

no , you wholesale the entire collection ,

Post them on the internet , or find a reptile store that is willing to buy them off at a stupid low price .... Too many people I know had to do this , and I don't want to , I want to keep them , keep having babies .... this morning I just got 8 new babies .... that hatched out of the egg ... its such an amazing feeling .... it is so awesome .... I don't want to stop doing that , neither does my girlfriend !

It will be up to CFSATE to approve/deny a request to live on the economy while on your common core, QL3 etc.  I know it's been done before (buddy of mine who OTd to AVN, and had his family moved up and in a PMQ), however...there's no guarantee until the request is approved.

You'll also have to see what posting 'status' you get; you might be restricted from a move at public expense until after your QL3/have to ask to have the posting restriction lifted.  That should all be detailed in your Offer and your ETP message.

thanks EITS , I got my offer last Friday , so I guess Ill have more info in the coming days ....

I still don't know what my exact rank / pay rate will be so all I know is that I have to be at Borden on august 24Th !

Your offer came and didn't have your rank and IPC on it?  That strikes me as odd.  I did my CT back to the Regs years ago now, but my offer and ETP messages had all the required info;  DEU, TCP, Rank, PIC, etc.

Congrats though, I know you've been on the CT merry-go-round for a while.  Nice to have that behind you.

It wouldn't surprise me if you had to report to CFSATE, then submit your memo to live on the economy and have a posting restriction lifted (if there is one).  If you haven't already, I'd look into having common law status applied for with the CAF (if you've been living with your GF for 12+ months and can verify that with something like a bill, drivers license, etc).

yeah well they just didn't send me any email as of yet , but I just got off the phone with the lady at the recruiting center that was in charge of my file , she says she will be sending me the emails today

Also told me I was back on soldier 1 pay but with 257 days credit , so I would be gone back to Soldier 2 in like 3 months , she also said my date might change as to when I need to be in Borden.

We are already doing all the necessary paperwork for common-law status we had it done when I was in the reserve but I need to re-do it now that I am going back in.  So we are looking at everything and making sure its all correct !

As far as the PMQ , Ill check with Borden she also told me about doing my OJT at Valcartier ( closer to home ) if my course is not until like next year.  A bunch of questions , not much of answers , but , that's part of it !

krimynal said:
yeah well they just didn't send me any email as of yet , but I just got off the phone with the lady at the recruiting center that was in charge of my file , she says she will be sending me the emails today

Also told me I was back on soldier 1 pay but with 257 days credit , so I would be gone back to Soldier 2 in like 3 months , she also said my date might change as to when I need to be in Borden.

We are already doing all the necessary paperwork for common-law status we had it done when I was in the reserve but I need to re-do it now that I am going back in.  So we are looking at everything and making sure its all correct !

As far as the PMQ , Ill check with Borden she also told me about doing my OJT at Valcartier ( closer to home ) if my course is not until like next year.  A bunch of questions , not much of answers , but , that's part of it !

Ahh, so you know you got an offer, but haven't 'seen' it yet.  Makes sense.  As you are doing a OT with your CT, you'll basically likely get a recruit school bypass with your Reserve Arty time credited towards your promotion to Cpl.  That will be the TCP "time credited for promotion" part of your offer.  This will help you to getting your Cpls.  Once you are a Cpl and QL5 (have to verify that for AVN) qual'd, you start getting Spec pay.  Spec pay is great as it not only helps you earn more money while serving, it also increases your pension as well. 

If you had Common Law Status in the Reserves, bring that paperwork with you.  I'd have to look at the regs/policy for sure, but there might not be a requirement to redo the paperwork.  The current CLS status can be added to your Reg Force Pers File;  that's what they did with mine years ago as well.  But, either way, it should be easier to get it approved in the Reg Force if you have your Reserve paperwork and your addresses haven't changed since then.

OJT in Val could be a good thing;  your ETP message should post you (preposition for trg, is the language in the BTAGs IIRC) to CFSATE Borden, who will then attach post you to Valcartier.  If that's the case, you shouldn't have to pay for rations in Valcartier (unless I remember the new rations reg's incorrectly).

yeah well its not a CT / OT , I released in September last year , applied back in April 2016 and here I am , the CT / OT process was just WAY too long ... when I applied for the transfer they told me It would take years , when I released and reapply It took a total of 9 months .... so yeah , maybe not the best way to do it , but whatever gets you back in the fastest right ! haha

but yeah , I should receive all those paperworks with the offer and everything today or tomorrow , so Ill have a better Idea of everything they include !

Ahhh.  Well, you gambled and it paid off. 

Congrats again and good luck!  Welcome to the RCAF!  8)

Attachments

• AF Biv.png
    AF Biv.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Cry.jpg
    Cry.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 321
krimynal said:
yeah well its not a CT / OT , I released in September last year , applied back in April 2016 and here I am , the CT / OT process was just WAY too long ... when I applied for the transfer they told me It would take years , when I released and reapply It took a total of 9 months .... so yeah , maybe not the best way to do it , but whatever gets you back in the fastest right ! haha

but yeah , I should receive all those paperworks with the offer and everything today or tomorrow , so Ill have a better Idea of everything they include !

I'm glad it worked out for you. All the best with your career.

Hi,
        Im looking for info for the apartment given to students as the Canadian Forces Health Services School in Borden Ontario. I've asked this question before but for some reason never got an answer. I need to know if we get a bed? If not, can we buy one on base? Is the room a single, double, quadruple occupancy?

It entirely depends on what course you are on.
For QL3s, you tend to be 4 to a room, with single beds in the rooms (all provided).
For QL5s, it can be singles, 2 or 4 to a room, again single beds, all provided.
Higher than that, or for MO/NO/HCA/etc, I will let others who have been there fill you in.

You don't need to buy a bed. And we call it living in shacks, or barracks. Not apartments. There are normally no kitchen facilities at the QL3/5 level. You eat your meals at the mess.

paleomedic said:
It entirely depends on what course you are on.
For QL3s, you tend to be 4 to a room, with single beds in the rooms (all provided).
For QL5s, it can be singles, 2 or 4 to a room, again single beds, all provided.
Higher than that, or for MO/NO/HCA/etc, I will let others who have been there fill you in.

You don't need to buy a bed. And we call it living in shacks, or barracks. Not apartments. There are normally no kitchen facilities at the QL3/5 level. You eat your meals at the mess.

Thanks, but I'm referring to PAT Platoon. Do you have any info on that?

Back