• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

yep my parents rent is supposed to go up to like 800+ a month for this POS that we live in..sad really

Do you ever notice that around the time PSAC strikes looking for a pay increase that might help the military, the rent seems to go up?

At least the increase is offset by 6 months now. Our pay raises are Apr 1st and Rent increases are Nov 1st for PMQs and SQs. Not too long ago, you got the pay raise then at the same time you got a rent increase and in some cases you ended up taking home less money. 

Does anyone know if you're now eligible for PLD since the rent is matched to the public sector?

Cheers

So we get a raise, rent goes up, we pay more taxes.

Lets hear it for pay raises.

i am living in single shacks right now and when you walk into our building you can smell the mould in the hall ways. Last winter you could see the mositure on the walls and the concrete chipping away. It is great to live in them when your rent goes up. And your not allowed to leave. When i worked on civie side if a place was in this bad of shape the health inspector would condemn the building untill it was all cleaned up. The fact is these buildings were built in the 50's or so and need to be replaced. 

i HEAR YOU , right now im living in the PMQ and it is very apperent how everytime theres a raise in our pay the rent of these go up . and another thing is that the namao PMQ s are not in edmonton but in Morrinville but we are still forced to pay the edmonton city rates even though we dont live in the city limits . i agree that these places for what we are paying should be maintained in like new shapre even as far as to re insulate them  . but instead since the forces have handed it off to a private comapany they are making money off of what should be a zero loss payment scheme as these houses have been paid for since the mid seventies at least. all we should be paying for  should be utilities and maintinance not market value as we are the one risking life and limb in some forgien country this should be the least of the payback for losing weekends  for months on end and dealing with what we have to deal with the idea behind a garrison was to keep us seperate from the local population . if we desire to live in the local population fine then we should pay that rate but as we wish to live int the garrison commuity why are we being force to be like it ....

This is absolutely appalling, mold? Frozen groceries?!? It kind of makes one want to think twice about going into the Reg F.  I will definitely be taking part in the petition,  and I will also be writing off letters to anyone that I can to find justification for this abuse.  I am going to encourage everyone I know to do the same thing.

Yep.going to have the wall in the kitchen removed and new cupboards thanks to black mold.Paint upstairs is chipping off the walls in my son's room and the wind whips through the family so bad we had to put up garbage bags one night.Fair market value........bah!

That is just unreasonable, something needs to be done about that, is it really that bad everywhere? or just in the PMQs?

It's only on certain bases, Moose Jaw PMQs were all recently renovated, except the row houses but there's only a few of them left.  All the single dwellings and duplexes are like new there, not too bad at all. The SQs there are brand new too, as are the SQs in Portage, Trenton, and Winnipeg. A buddy of mine has a PMQ in Winnipeg and they're not too bad either. It all depends on where you go, some are nicer than others.

Cheers

Here in Vancouver, the PMQs are in a great area!  In fact, it's so great, that we are surrounded by million dollar homes.  You can just imagine what that does to our rent, being based on the local economy and all.  People who live in this area make about 5 times what I do!  The base shelter value for my home is over $1100!!!!!  Thankfully, they can't charge us more than 25% of our pay!  Even still, I pay over $800 for this lovely non-insulated leaky PMQ.  ::)  The response we get whenever we complain is move and go live on the economy.  Then.....in order to live somewhere I could afford I would have a 2 hour commute to work.

whats the word on Pets PMQ condition? ?How can one bring a new family into conditions already stated before...very discouraging.

i remeber my old house in pet had to be compeltely gutted because of bad wireing..i would hate to be payin for that place now.

since I am currently unattached, I am more concerned about the SQs, but I would also like to know what the situation is like in pet, and in gagetown.

The stated objective of the Federal Govt, for some years now, is to get completely out of the housing business except for extremely isolated posts(of which we have only a very few remaining).This applies to the CF, the RCMP, Transport Canada, etc. Therefore there is very little incentive for them to do much about really overhauling the PMQs for the long run.

This is not helped by the fact that (IIRC) only about 30% of CF personnel live in PMQs, and this is declining as our pay and benefit packages improve.

Finally, I think you will find a huge difference in how the Services have looked after the PMQs. The Airforce has traditionally done the best job of taking care of its PMQ communities, while the Army has not done nearly as well. The Navy seems to me to have done not much better than the Army, and perhaps worse.

Cheers.

As the Pay and benefits improve, how much easier is it to find decent housing within a soldiers price range, outside of what the military can provide (that is, for a family and singles)? As well, any first hand recollections would be appreciated regarding specific bases (in my case, Pet)

It's really no different than it is for any other Canadian (except we get some benefits they dont...) It depend on where you live. When I lived in the GTA (97-2002) owning a house was completely out of the question: way too expensive. But, once I was posted to Winnipeg, I discovered the amazing world of the Winnipeg housing market: one of the best-kept secrets in Canada. For 50% of what you woul pay in GTA you can get a good house in a very nice neighborhood, then when postng time comes, sell it in a very few days(maybe even 24 hours)  and make a profit. I paid less in mortagage and property taxes combined here in Wpg than I paid to rent a PMQ at the Oakville site. In Pet, you are probably in a pretty reasonable price range.  As well, the CF picks up real estate agent, legal and home inspector fees. Cheers.

That would be great except here in the namao / lancaster base  they are chargeing us as if we lived in edmonton , which we dont  and no amount of talking to them seems to make them realize that .

That would be great except here in the namao / lancaster base  they are chargeing us as if we lived in edmonton , which we dont  and no amount of talking to them seems to make them realize that .

Sorry-I'm not quite following you: was that post in response to mine, or another? ??? Cheers.

Back