• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Gagetown now called 5th Canadian Div Support Base

slayer/raptor

Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if other bases will change their names:

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/reactions-mixed-over-name-change-at-cfb-gagetown-1.1429081

You're behind the times by a few months.  All former ASGs have transformed to the "superbase" concept and are now called Div Spt Gps.

That is the most retarded idea I've ever seen... the CF has hit a new low. If it was 5 Can Div Support Base GAGETOWN, it would be buttons and bows but still make the tiniest bit of sense.

What are they going to name Kingston? 1st Canadian Division Royal Military College Joint Signal Regiment Electronic Warfare Regiment Royal Canadian Corps of Signals School Support Base? Uh oh, I just gave someone an idea....  :facepalm:

Keep the physical structures and locations the same name.  Rename the ASGs into DISCOMs or whatever they dream up.

As I voted on the CTV poll at the link, Gagetown is Gagetown.  Nuff said.

Infanteer said:
You're behind the times by a few months.  All former ASGs have transformed to the "superbase" concept and are now called Div Spt Gps.

Wait a minute; isn't BFC Valcartier not now the 5th Canadian Division Support Base?

And ASU Toronto is now 4th Cdn Div.  Do you not read CANFORGENS???

PMedMoe said:
And ASU Toronto is now 4th Cdn Div.  Do you not read CANFORGENS???

LFCA is now 4 Cdn Div.  ASU Toronton is a det of 2 Div Spt Gp, an amalgamation of 2 ASG and CFB Petawawa.

Infanteer said:
LFCA is now 4 Cdn Div.  ASU Toronton is a det of 2 Div Spt Gp, an amalgamation of 2 ASG and CFB Petawawa.

You are really throwing those numbers around.  :stars:  Is 2 Div Spt Gp in Toronto and 2e Canadian Division Support Base in BFC Valcartier?  :stars: :dunno:

I thought 2 CMBG was part of 4 Div.

Here is what I have:

UNCLAS C PROG 006

SUBJ: ORGANIZATION MESSAGE - CANADIAN ARMY (CA)

THE MND HAS AUTHORIZED THE FOLLOWING:

Rename Land Force Central Area to 4th Canadian Division
Rename Land Force Central Area Headquarters to 4th CDN DIV HQ
Rename 2 Area Support Group to 4th Canadian Division Support Gp (4 CDSG)
Rename 2 Area Support Group Signal Sqn to 4th CDN DIV Support Gp Signal Sqn (4 CDSH SIG Sqn)
Rename CFB/Area Support Unit Petawawa to 4th CDN DIV Support Base Petawawa
Rename Land Force Central Area Training Centre to 4th CDN DIV Trg Centre (4 CDN DIV TC)
Rename CFB/Area Support Unit Kingston to CFB Kingston allocated to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 2 CMBG to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 31 CBG to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 32 CBG to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 33 CBG to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 2 Svc Bn to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 2 INT COY to 4 CDN DIV
Rename 2 INT Platoon to 7 INT COY and allocate to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 21 EW Regt to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate Regional Cadet Support Unit (Central) (RCSU CENTRAL) to 4 CDN DIV
Allocate 3rd Canadian Ranger Patrol Gp to 4 CDN DIV
DISBAND Area Support Unit Toronto

George Wallace said:
You are really throwing those numbers around.  :stars:  Is 2 Div Spt Gp in Toronto and 2e Canadian Division Support Base in BFC Valcartier?  :stars: :dunno:

I thought 2 CMBG was part of 4 Div.

Ugg...the numbers are even mixing me up now!

It should read "ASU Toronto is a det of 4 Div Spt Gp, an amalgamation of 2 ASG and CFB Petawawa".

I would have much preferred Regional nomenclature for the Divs as it is far more representative of their static, institutional role and it is easier to remember.  (Western Division, Central Division, Division Quebec, Atlantic Division).

Back when it was anounced that many ASUs were closing, the concept was floated that the "big base" in each LF Area would become an Area Support Base ... effectively, the mother ship that would be the one base headquarters for all of what used to be bases, stations, locations and other places in the area.  The ASB would be a formation with units for pers admin, tech services, CE, etc.  These units would then become little stovepipe empires all over the area with every BCEO reporting back, not to a local base commander but to the CO of CE for the ASB.  The only "new" change is that the Army has since renamed all the divisions as areas, and so we are now getting DSBs.

Somewhere on this site, there may be a thread discussing the changes under the ASB terms.  The "support base" title is window dressing on something that actually is a structural change to the system.  One can debate if this change is good or not.

Just like CFB/ASU Wainwright is now 3 CDSB Edmonton det Wainwright.  And at least in WX case it is more than just a renaming since as part of ASU closures/rationalization, WX lost it's LCol CO, and downgraded it too a Maj, as well as other streamlining changes.  This is nothing new really, just a repeat of history, as "Camp" Wainwright was originally a det of CFB Calgary prior to the closure and move to Edmontion :-/

Jon

Infanteer said:
Ugg...the numbers are even mixing me up now!

It should read "ASU Toronto is a det of 4 Div Spt Gp, an amalgamation of 2 ASG and CFB Petawawa".

I would have much preferred Regional nomenclature for the Divs as it is far more representative of their static, institutional role and it is easier to remember.  (Western Division, Central Division, Division Quebec, Atlantic Division).

Yes both Toronto and Kingston will be Dets of 4 CDSG Petawawa, ASU London would have been as well if it was not being disbanded and partially rolled into the Res Svc Bn, which would fall under the Res CMBG, and then under 4 Can Div.....

Jon

LFCA became 4 Div, and SQFT became 2 Div ... interesting.  The "historical" force generating home for 2 DivHQ & Tps was 2 Militia District (Central Ontario) and the force generating home for 4 Div HQ & Tps was 5 Militia District (Eastern Quebec).

Old EO Tech said:
Yes both Toronto and Kingston will be Dets of 4 CDSG Petawawa, ASU London would have been as well if it was not being disbanded and partially rolled into the Res Svc Bn, which would fall under the Res CMBG, and then under 4 Can Div.....
The Support Base concept was supposed to give the DSBs the responsibilities that were formerly held by disolved ASUs.

MCG said:
LFCA became 4 Div, and SQFT became 2 Div ... interesting.  The "historical" force generating home for 2 DivHQ & Tps was 2 Militia District (Central Ontario) and the force generating home for 4 Div HQ & Tps was 5 Militia District (Eastern Quebec).
The Support Base concept was supposed to give the DSBs the responsibilities that were formerly held by disolved ASUs.

It's been a few month's since I've seen any kind of SITREP, but I know people that were ASU London and some that are PRes at the Svc Bn in London, and the last info I heard is that the Svc Bn would be beefed up to 35 RegF CSS positions to solidify the added CSS support functions that they would take over from the now defunct ASU.

Yes in theory DSB Pet would cover off that support, as well as 2 Svc Bn on the CSS functions they cover off....but it is a long way from Pet to London :-/

We face the same issue out west to support Calgary from ASB Edmonton/1 Svc Bn.  And I know from our past briefings that 1 Svc Bn was given a Wng O that with the ASU closure we could expect more support tasks, as well as that more RegF CSS postings into PRes Svc Bn's would happen, and that these would not be the old retirement postings, but putting key highly qualified pers in place in order to ensure that the new reenforced PRes Svc Bn would have the expertise required to succeed.

But this is a bit off topic for the OP :p

Jon

For Toronto I've heard and received e-mails with it being called Garrison Toronto now.

PuckChaser said:
That is the most retarded idea I've ever seen... the CF has hit a new low. If it was 5 Can Div Support Base GAGETOWN, it would be buttons and bows but still make the tiniest bit of sense.

What are they going to name Kingston? 1st Canadian Division Royal Military College Joint Signal Regiment Electronic Warfare Regiment Royal Canadian Corps of Signals School Support Base? Uh oh, I just gave someone an idea....  :facepalm:

That"s what it is called; 5th Canadian Division Support Group/5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown

Back