• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Exam

Just curious on how hard the exam is.

• Very

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Easy

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

Taylor092

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently stumbled upon this site while looking for some help to prepare for my CFAT. I have it booked for the second week of January but I am stressing a lot. I am not very strong in math and get really nervous taking tests.

Has anyone completed this exam? If so, how did you find it?

:cdn:

It's a good test but if you have any concerns about it, there's an app called CFAT trainer that is quite good. I found it was a good way to practice for the real thing.

I would just like to add onto Navy Beans' comment. The real CFAT is more difficult than the questions on that app. The spatial ability questions in particular. Although, the app is still really good practice for the real thing.

Time pressure will probably be your number 1 problem. Make sure you are able to do those questions on that app quickly (<1 min for each question).

hey. you can use one of these books to practice. If you are going NCM I would suggest you practice your best and get good marks. so if you decide to go officer later u don't have to do it again. They go with percentile.
the app navy beans mentioned is a good tool as well.
but try to find the following book in pdf if there is any on internet. it helps you with tips and techniques specially for spatial ability.
Best of luck  and don't stress too much its an easy test once u practice your basics. nothing out of this world.  If u have lumosity  it will help with mental maths under pressure and time limit.
Let us know.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asvab+study+guide+2016-2017&sprefix=asvab%2Caps%2C364&crid=1P04HUM1NNOAH
(if the link doesn't work search ASVAB study guide on google or amazon)

how hard the exam is? how smart are you?

As far as i know -as far as i understood from the recruiting officer when i was applying-, its not a matter of what "grade" you achieve, its more of meeting your certain trade's minimum requirement, and how you rank overall compared to others applying for same trade(s).
if you think you are "bad" at a certain category, try to improve, take sample tests, do your best. or maybe try to excel on other categories you could "make-up" for it

I wont say its easy and its also not some rocket science. u can give it a few weeks of practicing everyday and refreshing ur maths, English and practice spatial reasoning.
Good luck

I did horrible at spatial and the verbal section. I thought it was very hard. However, the math part was extremely easy imo

To me there's 3 things you can do to best prepare.

Number 1: Verbal
As you probably know it's all based around finding synonyms for more complex words. My best advice is to review all your "fancy" word trivias you learned through highschool, particularly grades 10 through 12. This was my worst section by far, they pull out some real fancy wordsmithing.

Number 2: Spacial
There is no real way to prepare other than just stay calm, and analyze each problem at the same steady sustainable pace. This whole section is simply a matter of paying attention and looking at each option before deciding. You dont want to look at answer b) and just think "oh thats good!" Then realize later on whatd d) is in fact the right answer but it was very similar to b) per say.

Number 3: Mathematics
To prepare for this review all of your basic grade 10 foundations/precalc math. Relearn if necessary your volume and surface area formulas and all the basics from this year of school. For me this section was the easiest forsure, but I'm a math guy so for others it may be different.

Overall the main rule is ANSWER EVERY QUESTION NO MATTER WHAT. If you leave any questions unanswered that will be an automatic fail even if you got every other question right.

Hope this helped, cheers.

Blake C. said:
To me there's 3 things you can do to best prepare.

Number 1: Verbal
As you probably know it's all based around finding synonyms for more complex words. My best advice is to review all your "fancy" word trivias you learned through highschool, particularly grades 10 through 12. This was my worst section by far, they pull out some real fancy wordsmithing.

Number 2: Spacial
There is no real way to prepare other than just stay calm, and analyze each problem at the same steady sustainable pace. This whole section is simply a matter of paying attention and looking at each option before deciding. You dont want to look at answer b) and just think "oh thats good!" Then realize later on whatd d) is in fact the right answer but it was very similar to b) per say.

Number 3: Mathematics
To prepare for this review all of your basic grade 10 foundations/precalc math. Relearn if necessary your volume and surface area formulas and all the basics from this year of school. For me this section was the easiest forsure, but I'm a math guy so for others it may be different.

Overall the main rule is ANSWER EVERY QUESTION NO MATTER WHAT. If you leave any questions unanswered that will be an automatic fail even if you got every other question right.

Hope this helped, cheers.

I wrote it when I was 16. over 10 years ago... And it was built this way as well. Don't leave anything unanswered as they're all point based. The test itself is just designed to see how your mind thinks and problem solves.

I wrote this test in 2014. I actually left one spatial question unanswered and one math question unanswered because I ran out of time in those sections. I qualified for every single Canadian Forces occupation including officer positions. My deciding factor is my eyesight. Conclusion: you will NOT fail just because you did not answer a question. Also, if you read for fun.....the vocabulary section is way easy.

I did it a couple weeks ago. We can't say anything about the content but overall it's not too difficult. It's mostly just looking for what you're strong in. It's less math and more reasoning skills and logic. You shouldn't have any trouble as long as you take a deep breath. I can't speak for elsewhere but I did it at Toronto and they were very understanding. I finished early and started copying out my Service Number for something to do and the guy doing the test came by and started laughing. You really don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for all the advice! I am taking my test next week in Toronto.

How long do you ahve to wait before knowing if you passed or not?

Taylor092 said:
Thanks for all the advice! I am taking my test next week in Toronto.

How long do you ahve to wait before knowing if you passed or not?

For me it was right away after taking the exam, a captain told us to go sit in the waiting room and she called us one by one to see the results. It all depends on the number of people taking the exam at the recruiting centre, it can take up to 2-3 hours. However, it can be different for you. Good luck :salute:

Here's a good site to practice, it is a lot harder on the actual exam. Just put in your email and they will send you an email with the password https://cfatready.ca/about-the-courses/canada-forces-aptitude-test-cfat/

Probably a stupid question and I am assuming the answer is no but do they make accommodations for people with learning disabilities?
I have one but its more so i just read slower then most and some times have a harder time with mental math.

Nick_S said:
Probably a stupid question and I am assuming the answer is no but do they make accommodations for people with learning disabilities?
I have one but its more so i just read slower then most and some times have a harder time with mental math.
No they treat everyone the same, buddy of mine had the same issue and failed the first time. Not sure if he re-tested or not yet.

Blake C. said:
No they treat everyone the same, buddy of mine had the same issue and failed the first time. Not sure if he re-tested or not yet.

Ya I assumed as much. I'm not to worried about it I took the practice test they have online and did well and I'm using the app CFAT Trainer and again scoring well. I don't have a date to take it but i will keep practicing and hopefully do well.

Nick_S said:
Ya I assumed as much. I'm not to worried about it I took the practice test they have online and did well and I'm using the app CFAT Trainer and again scoring well. I don't have a date to take it but i will keep practicing and hopefully do well.
Good luck man! Its the start of a very loooonnngg process, my advice is to find yourself a good full-time job in the meantime. It will take close to a year to eventually go off to BMQ. It will be very frustrating at times but don't give up!

Back