• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT #2

jonjon5822

Reaction score
Hey, ya'll. (sorry for this)

I'm 17, I did my CFAT rewrite #2 a couple of days ago and my desired trades were: Gunner, Infanteer, and Vehicle Tech. And I did great! So great I only qualified for cook. On my first CFAT (when I was 16), I wrote I qualified for no trades at all whatsoever (embarrassing right?). At least this time I got something.

My recruiter said I did good in the vocab and spatial ability section but my problem solving wasn't great for Infantry but met the standards for cook... Nothing else.. (bruh moment)

I am happy I have a trade at least but I don't like the idea of being a cook in the army. I am still moving forward with my application my medical exam is coming up real soon, and my recruiter told me I did not have to make a decision for now and that I could rewrite a third time in January.

Before my CFAT #2 rewrite, I enrolled in an Academic upgrading class at my college. I wasn't planning on using the class to prep me for my CFAT but just for a refresher of math. And it's a good thing I enrolled because that course is a requirement to complete for a third rewrite. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, or maybe I'm just really nervous and anxious.

I want to serve my country and I wanna learn new things and do cool things and to only qualify for cook... I don't know... Troops gotta eat I guess, someone gotta feed em.

Me and that CFAT are really starting to get on a personal level let me tell you.

First off, kudos for taking steps to identify and action a deficiency. While there is nothing wrong with serving as a cook in the CAF that doesn't mean you have to give up on your dreams of service in a different role.

It sounds like you have some feedback on the areas of the CFAT that need improvement. If the academic upgrading helped (even a little bit) then I would suggest looking for similar programs, tutors, and practice material that would best help you prepare for the January re-write. Put in the work and shoot for what you really want to do, but do it with a plan of action rather than just "working on stuff".

Training specifically for the task at hand (the CFAT in this case) is not only doable, but you're fortunate in that you have time to prepare and have prior knowledge of the exam material. No "good luck" is needed, just to put a plan in place and get after it!

Hey, ya'll. (sorry for this)

I'm 17, I did my CFAT rewrite #2 a couple of days ago and my desired trades were: Gunner, Infanteer, and Vehicle Tech. And I did great! So great I only qualified for cook. On my first CFAT (when I was 16), I wrote I qualified for no trades at all whatsoever (embarrassing right?). At least this time I got something.

My recruiter said I did good in the vocab and spatial ability section but my problem solving wasn't great for Infantry but met the standards for cook... Nothing else.. (bruh moment)

I am happy I have a trade at least but I don't like the idea of being a cook in the army. I am still moving forward with my application my medical exam is coming up real soon, and my recruiter told me I did not have to make a decision for now and that I could rewrite a third time in January.

Before my CFAT #2 rewrite, I enrolled in an Academic upgrading class at my college. I wasn't planning on using the class to prep me for my CFAT but just for a refresher of math. And it's a good thing I enrolled because that course is a requirement to complete for a third rewrite. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, or maybe I'm just really nervous and anxious.

I want to serve my country and I wanna learn new things and do cool things and to only qualify for cook... I don't know... Troops gotta eat I guess, someone gotta feed em.

Me and that CFAT are really starting to get on a personal level let me tell you.

Since it's been a minute, I'm hoping that your rewrite went ok.

Now, if I can speak a little to your "bruh" moment, here's some things to keep in mind about the cook trade:

• Cooks are considered a "purple" trade, so they can literally go anywhere, whether they are Army, Navy, or Air Force
  • Because of this, you can be posted anywhere; base, garrison, overseas, on a ship, etc.
  • I have deployed, countless times, on a naval deployment with Army and AF cooks onboard
  • Onboard a ship, cooks are also used for casualty clearing staff and are used to help amplify the medical staff during any first aid or casualty scenarios
  • As you progress through the ranks, you will work up to a managerial level, similar to working from the bottom up in a restaurant kitchen setting (basic cook to head chef kind of idea)
  • If you do end up coming in as a cook, and are willing to work on your academic profile in your off time and want to switch trades to something else later, there are avenues for that. They may take a significant amount of time to navigate through, but there are always options for those who want to further their education

I hope that whatever course changes you end up with going forward in your CAF application, that whatever you decide to do makes you happy. In the end, your happiness is what you are striving for anyways, right?

Good luck!!

Since it's been a minute, I'm hoping that your rewrite went ok.

Now, if I can speak a little to your "bruh" moment, here's some things to keep in mind about the cook trade:

• Cooks are considered a "purple" trade, so they can literally go anywhere, whether they are Army, Navy, or Air Force
  • Because of this, you can be posted anywhere; base, garrison, overseas, on a ship, etc.
  • I have deployed, countless times, on a naval deployment with Army and AF cooks onboard
  • Onboard a ship, cooks are also used for casualty clearing staff and are used to help amplify the medical staff during any first aid or casualty scenarios
  • As you progress through the ranks, you will work up to a managerial level, similar to working from the bottom up in a restaurant kitchen setting (basic cook to head chef kind of idea)
  • If you do end up coming in as a cook, and are willing to work on your academic profile in your off time and want to switch trades to something else later, there are avenues for that. They may take a significant amount of time to navigate through, but there are always options for those who want to further their education

I hope that whatever course changes you end up with going forward in your CAF application, that whatever you decide to do makes you happy. In the end, your happiness is what you are striving for anyways, right?

Good luck!!
Hey thanks for the reply to
My post,

Here’s a sitrep on where I’m at right now,

I moved forward with my application with cook and was sworn in March 15th, did BMQ in May, and just got off my Cook QL3 course yesterday,

I realized that this could be a beneficial way to improve myself as a person because going into this I had 0 cooking experience (never cooked at home ever).

Going forward I am excited to continue my career in the CAF in this trade.. however this is not where I want to be in the long run, I’ll be deciding if I should OT To Combat Arms by next March. Doesn’t hurt to give this job a try!

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.

Hey thanks for the reply to
My post,

Here’s a sitrep on where I’m at right now,

I moved forward with my application with cook and was sworn in March 15th, did BMQ in May, and just got off my Cook QL3 course yesterday,

I realized that this could be a beneficial way to improve myself as a person because going into this I had 0 cooking experience (never cooked at home ever).

Going forward I am excited to continue my career in the CAF in this trade.. however this is not where I want to be in the long run, I’ll be deciding if I should OT To Combat Arms by next March. Doesn’t hurt to give this job a try!

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.
You are an inspiration to never give up.

Back