• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF seeking 3 or 4 manned fixed-wing ISR planes

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from buyandsell.gc.ca:
.... The Department of National Defence has a requirement to acquire an enduring, operational level, multi-sensor Manned Airborne Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) capability, deployable on short notice to provide dedicated support to DND operations domestically or internationally.  To meet its requirements, DND may look to acquire the aircraft and Prime Mission Equipment (PME) as well as the support for both the aircraft platform and the PME.

The intent of this Letter of Interest (LOI) is to solicit market information, including price and availability and delivery schedule, as well as to determine industry interest in responding to a potential Request for Proposal (RFP) for the needed resources ....
More from some of the bid documents:
.... DND has a potential requirement to acquire and sustain a minimum quantity of three (3) to a maximum quantity of four (4) (preferred) airworthy aircraft, all being the same type and configuration, which have the notional level of capabilities as per the following rudimentary requirements:

a. Airworthiness - Each modified aircraft proposed shall have a valid airworthiness certificate upon delivery. All aircraft must be globally self-deployable (multi-engine) and able to transit through domestic and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) civilian-controlled and military-controlled airspace;

b. Mission Aircraft performance – The un-refueled range of the platforms shall be a minimum of 2000 km (greater range is preferred) at normal cruise power while carrying a minimum crew of two (2) pilots and approximately 1200 lbs of mission payload (two (2) sensor operators with PME  installed and operating);

c. Aircraft Life – Each aircraft shall, upon receipt, have minimum sufficient life remaining for 10 years/10,000 hours of usage (for this LOI assume an average usage of four (4) flying hours per engine cycle);

d. Configuration of Cockpit –Aviator Night Vision Imaging System (ANVIS) compatible cockpit with suitable avionics to support flight in international airspace and integration into military coalition operations (i.e. military transponders with Mode S, encrypted radios, Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) 2, Pro-Line 21, etc.);

e. Configuration of mission suite – Each aircraft shall be delivered with the PME, as stated in paragraph 3.2. If the supplier cannot acquire the needed PME, due to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or similar constraint, the supplier would then state the assumption that the specific PME system would be Government Furnished Equipment (GFE), and the contractor integration would allow for the PME to be fitted for but not with. “Fitted for but not with” is defined as to have the airworthiness approved physical, electrical, data and software interfaces installed without the Line Replaceable Units (LRU) mounted.  The required aircraft integration configuration includes all structural and electrical modifications including bulkheads, cables, cable connectors, antennas, fairings, man-machine-interfaces, etc. for the PME to be used operationally; and

f. Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) - Each platform shall be delivered fitted for an ASE suite, as stated in paragraph 3.3, but not with. “Fitted for but not with” is defined above (3.1 e) and includes the mounts, fairings, cables, and cable connectors for the ASE LRUs (sensors, dispensers, and cockpit displays/controls, etc.) for the ASE to be used operationally ....

Deadline for this first step:  2013/09/30 14:00 EDT

Budget version of the P-8 Poseidon?

http://www.casr.ca/ai-boeing-msa-global-express.htm    (Speculated/proposed)
http://www.casr.ca/ai-boeing-msa-challenger.htm          (Selected)

Made-in-Canada solution?  Or izzat too simple?

Wonder if the Brits ever found a buyer for their lightly-used Sentinels they bought from Montreal few years back... If I recall, those were some pretty seriously capable aircraft! Last I read, they were pretty desperate to make a deal, could be picked up for a bargain! Not like we don't have any experience with the type!

When your "Global Supply Chain" consists of sending some young Pte out in a pickup truck to dash across town for some urgently-needed spare part, well that ain't too shabby!  "And grab us a Timmies on the way back, eh?"  ;)

Duckman54 said:
.... Wonder if the Brits ever found a buyer for their lightly-used Sentinels they bought from Montreal few years back... If I recall, those were some pretty seriously capable aircraft! Last I read, they were pretty desperate to make a deal, could be picked up for a bargain! Not like we don't have any experience with the type! ....
Buying used/barely used from the Brits hasn't been without its bumps in the road.

How about the new E2-D Hawkeye ? Too expensive for Canada ? ;) We could tag along on the US Navy's order.

It will be interesting to see how the selection process unfolds given the criticism of the F-35 acquisition.

IF I was to guess this is for a King Air type platform.

Something along the lines of a MC-12 variant.

Queue this option in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Viking DHC-5NG Buffalo NG.

Might as well have a common FWSAR and ISR airframe, right? 

NOW you're talkin'!!  Go Buff!   
Only 1200 lb mission package?  That would leave LOTSA room for aux fuel... Then talk about loiter time!

You're absolutely right in that we got hosed on the sub deal...  Spent more time in the garage so far than that 'ol vintage MG project few of us got going...  Difference here is WE BUILT THE SENTINAL! Heck, the Brits are in tight money situation... Assume the payments?  Voluntary repo?  Lol.

h3tacco said:
IF I was to guess this is for a King Air type platform.

Something along the lines of a MC-12 variant.
Zero inside information on my part, but if I had to bet a loonie, I'd bet this way, too (especially since it's a solution already used).

milnews.ca said:
Zero inside information on my part, but if I had to bet a loonie, I'd bet this way, too (especially since it's a solution already used).

Likewise zero inside information.

I also think we could probably guess the customer.

Another Bombardier possibility:

L-3 Spins SPYDR's Web at Dubai Air Show
Dubai Air Show » November 15, 2011
The SPYDR aircraft here is similar to the MC-12W, but Smith claims that L-3 is unique in being both sensor and platform-agnostic. “We are ready to partner in-country to meet specific requirements, using different sensors” he said. In fact, substitution of the SIGINT system may become necessary if the U.S. does not permit wide export of the company’s Rio suite which features added UHF scan capability...

As for alternative platforms, L-3 has been talking to Bombardier about an ISR version of the Q400 turboprop airliner [emphasis added].
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/dubai-air-show/2011-11-14/l-3-spins-spydrs-web-dubai-air-show

See also C4ISR here:
http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace/specialized-aircraft/specialized-mission-types.html

Mark
Ottawa

UnwiseCritic said:
It will be interesting to see how the selection process unfolds given the criticism of the F-35 acquisition.

The Canadian public, and media for that matter doesn't care. Everyone is an expert when it comes to fighter jets.  ::)

"Global self-deployable" infers capable of flying in the high structure - pretty much eliminates any Buff-NG.

BE200/350 would be most cost effective platform. Q400 is a good made-in-Canada option, just a little bit of overkill.

Zoomie said:
"Global self-deployable" infers capable of flying in the high structure - pretty much eliminates any Buff-NG.

BE200/350 would be most cost effective platform. Q400 is a good made-in-Canada option, just a little bit of overkill.

That has the advantage of fleet commonality with the MEUF.

h3tacco said:
Likewise zero inside information.

I also think we could probably guess the customer.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread...I bet you are probably not far off.

MAJONES said:
That has the advantage of fleet commonality with the MEUF.

Moot point as scuttlebutt says MEUF is gone soon.

Back