• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Research: Comparing Off-the-shelf Mine Detection/Disposal Tech for MCDVs

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This, from MERX:
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement to acquire a remote minehunting and disposal capability to detect, classify, identify, and dispose of sea mines that present a threat to Canadian interests or impede the conduct of maritime operations by Canadian Forces (CF) warships.

DND requires the system to:
    a)    be used in various coastal positions around the world;
    b)    be operable from crafts of opportunity and shore points (though mainly from the KINGSTON class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels);
    c)    meet the definition of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Technical Readiness Level (TRL) Nine (9); and
    d)    be currently, or about to enter into, operational service in maritime environments ....

A bit more detail from the full bid document (attached & exclusive to Milnet.ca):
.... The objectives of this Letter of Interest (LOI) is to:
a) provide industry with general information on the Remote Minehunting and Disposal System (RMDS) Project;
b) provide industry with a preliminary set of RMDS Project high level specifications, list of deliverables, tentative schedules, scope of implementation and in-service support effort and essential program/environmental constraints;
c) enable DND to examine off-the-shelf (OTS) equipment that is in service with other navies or soon to be in service; and,
d) enable DND to evaluate and progress a potential RMDS acquisition and ILS.

(....)

The requirement is for the KINGSTON (KIN) Class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel (MCDV), which is to be capable of deploying a remote active Mine Counter Measures (MCM) capability, in the form of a Remote Minehunting and Disposal System (RMDS). This capability is intended to be a modular payload design (such as the MCDV Route Survey Payloads) and is to be primarily operated from the MCDVs but will, due to its payload design, also be able to operate from other suitable vessels of opportunity or from a shore position.

The remote minehunting and disposal capability will be employed to counter a sea mine threat to Canadian maritime interests in North America. In addition to the potential threat to North America, Canadian warships are regularly deployed overseas, where the mine threat has been assessed as high, and is likely to remain an enduring threat to maritime forces into the foreseeable future. The remote minehunting and disposal capability may be utilized to ensure safety for Canadian warships in such places where Canada has assumed responsibility, either as part of an allied or coalition operation, or possibly unilaterally, for the safety of shipping and access to ports .....

Deadline for expressions of interest:  8 Jul 10, 1400 EDT

Reference Number  PW-$$QF-098-19921
Solicitation Number W8472-105270/A

This is something along the lines of K-STER from ECA. 

http://www.eca.fr/en/robotic-vehicle/robotics-naval-rov-k-ster-innovative-mine-killer-with-tiltable-warhead/12.htm

It removes the need for MCM ships to enter into harm's way and allows for viable steel hulled mine hunters rather than the extraordinarily expensive GRP hulls.  Not sure how it will work on MCDV's though as the ship should still have a de-gaussing immunization system and the loops are very difficult to install in an existing ship. 

Mine hunting ROVs are also typically used in conjunction with an AUV which hunts out the mines before the ROV identifies and neutralizes them.  This makes it substantially more difficult to operate from a craft of opportunity rather than from an integrated platform.  I think it's still likely a very good start to finding a solution for Canada's MCM problems though.

RC said:
This is something along the lines of K-STER from ECA. 

http://www.eca.fr/en/robotic-vehicle/robotics-naval-rov-k-ster-innovative-mine-killer-with-tiltable-warhead/12.htm

It removes the need for MCM ships to enter into harm's way and allows for viable steel hulled mine hunters rather than the extraordinarily expensive GRP hulls.  Not sure how it will work on MCDV's though as the ship should still have a de-gaussing immunization system and the loops are very difficult to install in an existing ship. 

Mine hunting ROVs are also typically used in conjunction with an AUV which hunts out the mines before the ROV identifies and neutralizes them.  This makes it substantially more difficult to operate from a craft of opportunity rather than from an integrated platform.  I think it's still likely a very good start to finding a solution for Canada's MCM problems though.

All MCDV's have degaussing loops, although only the first 4 ship's are fitted with control cabinets. New control cabinets are planned. As well the K-STER is being trialled right now.

Oh.
Well there you go.  I had no idea they were equipped with a degaussing system.  I'd also heard rumours that they were planning to trial K-STERs, but didn't know they were actually doing it.  Thanks for the info. 

Do you know if the MCDVs can also be equipped with an AUV?

Back