• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Pilot Medical Standards

phildabomb

Inactive
Reaction score
This question would probably be best answered by someone in the medical field or a pilot:

Do beta-blockers hinder one's ability to qualify for the Pilot trade? Ie. low dosages, ~10mg Propanolol.

Thanks for input, and happy flying.  :salute:

It's often not so much the what, but the why...and sometimes the what, especially if you're flying high performance planes.

MM

The reason you are taking them in the first place is more likely to be the real issue.

bradley247 said:
The reason you are taking them in the first place is more likely to be the real issue.

Thank you soooo much for translating that for me.

True, thank you. I can imagine a lower blood pressure would not be preferable when pulling several g's for the risk of blacking out.

Anyone know if having ADD would totally ruin my chance to be a pilot?

alx12345 said:

Pilots require focus in order to do their jobs. ADD is the opposite of focus.

What do you think?

ModlrMike said:
Pilots require focus in order to do their jobs. ADD is the opposite of focus.

What do you think?

It's probably not that bad, as I am sure we are to be informed.

Scott said:
It's probably not that bad, as I am sure we are to be informed.

Unless he's forgotten he'd posted the question....  >:D

alx12345 said:

The only way to find out - talk to a recruiter. Go through the process of applying and you'll get an official answer that pertains directly to your situation!

Griffon said:
The only way to find out - talk to a recruiter. Go through the process of applying and you'll get an official answer that pertains directly to your situation!

He could also try reading some of the ADD/ADHD threads in here as well...just so he has an idea of what he's up against.

medicineman said:
He could also try reading some of the ADD/ADHD threads in here as well...just so he has an idea of what he's up against.

You mean like this one?

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/111450.0

I gave the answer I did because of the nuances of the medical screening system.  I know nothing about this individual's diagnosis of ADD, including how long it has been since the diagnosis, the severity of the condition, current medications and their dosage, whether the individual still requires medication, etc...so I figured I'd just sum it up and not revive a dead thread.

Hope this all helps!

Alright thanks, the only real issue that i have felt was at a desk at school, i have not taken any ADD medication in the last 10 years, the nurse at the recruit office said its OK, but i don't think its that simple.

Journeyman said:
Unless he's forgotten he'd posted the question....  >:D

Almost...

alx12345 said:
Alright thanks, the only real issue that i have felt was at a desk at school, i have not taken any ADD medication in the last 10 years, the nurse at the recruit office said its OK, but i don't think its that simple.

It's not that simple. Read the ADD mega thread and talk to a recruiter. Simples.

Yeah i did read it, either they say i shouldn't even try or i should go ask the recruiter about it, that's what i did, and he sended me to the nurse office, she just said that i should be Ok and i should not get hooked to pills.

the 48th regulator said:
Not at all the reason bein....HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!

Ah yes, those rascally squirrels...truth is that pilots are able to see beyond small flitting distractions and focus on the technical nature of th.....HEY LOOK, A SHINY BICYCLE!!!

Back