• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF member as a single parent-on course, deployed ect... [MERGED]

Hi Skeletor,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I went to browse jobs, input; part time, navy, bachelors degree,  and military police officer job had come up in the search as job available now.  I attached a picture to show you where I found it, in case I misunderstood.  I am willing to relocate with my family if the position is not available here in halifax.

I had heard training for reserves is only on weekends even for basic training? Is this true??? Doesn't seek like that would be, but I am not sure.  I just am getting an idea of what and how much care I would need.

I am waiting to here back from someone I sent questions to but i think he is on course and was hoping someone could answer in the mean time and maybe get some feedback for someone who had direct experience with a single parent in the forces or is a single parent.

Thanks for telling me that full time is not usually possible that is good to know. I would like full time, however with children I thought not having a contract was the best way to go.  I will have to reconsider.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. I think I will get in shape before I apply.  I just hope I don't miss the opportunity.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!

No NRD has a position for the Military Police NCM or Officer MOS.

NavRes will not pay to relocate an untrained member on Class A (part-time) employment.

While the army reserve does conduct weekend BMQ / BMOQ, the Naval Reserve only offers full-time courses.

In Halifax the NRD is HMCS SCOTIAN, if the recruiter is not in ask for the Ship's Office and let them know you have a few simple questions. If they are not busy, they will often be happy to help you out with a few answers that they can or direct your call to someone who can help you.

NavRes does not have military police as an MOC. If this is the trade you want, then you will have to apply to a local army unit.

---thank you for this info, I am located in halifax but there is also a Army base in the valley and I would like that as well.  I was not sure of this and appreciate this info. Thanks!'

---as for training, going away would not be a problem if fr 2.5 months especially in the summer etc. their dad could take them. :)

The Naval Reserve has a full-time operational role, so there are many full-time positions available for trained
As you read through the site, you will see in the reserves, many members hold degrees. I know many who have Masters Degrees who are NCMs instead of choosing to become an Officer. This is a personal choice and something that you should be aware of. Knowing this could open up options and opportunities for you that you may not have considered.

----I did not know this and will have to read more to understand. What are the main differences and benefits to each??? I have much to learn....

Hi Kratz

Thank you!!! You have been a huge help! I will contact  ship's office as well to ask some questions then, maybe contact an army recruiter as well.

I think now I will also look into Army Reserves.  I at least have a better understanding of what is possible and what isn't and a few other options to look into.  I do not mind full time courses at all.  It would be nice to get the training done!!! But regardless it seems I should look into the Army more as well.

Thanks so much!!!!

----I did not know this and will have to read more to understand. What are the main differences and benefits to each??? I have much to learn....

If you live in the Valley, one benefit to be aware of is CAA (Commuting Assistance Allowance). This is money (per kilometer after the first 32) that is paid for you to travel to and from the unit for work. This is on top of your pay, but it is fully taxable, like your pay (so take off CPP, EI and income tax).

Based on the open ended questions you are asking, search this site and read the topics some more. When you have specific questions many people are willing to help answer them.

If you are interested in the Naval Reserve, do contact the unit at the link provided above. They are there to help you directly. No pressure, no commitment, no embarrassment. Get your answers directly from the horse's mouth, rather than some random scuttle butt on the internet.

With you holding a degree, yes you do qualify as a DEO candidate, but the onus and expectations are higher as well, compared to entering as an NCM. As a DEO entry, this past year in Halifax I think we had 4 DEO positions, compared to 14 NCMs. The unit's recruiter will know the exact numbers better, but they will be similar. Most Officer formal initial courses will take you to the west coast, while your sea time could be on either coast and there will be lots of sea time. As an NCM, depending on your trade, the length of sea time will vary. Sea time means being away from your family. This is a sacerfice, but that is factored in with higher pay, allowances and other benefits, as well as full-time employment opportunities.

So if you are open to other jobs (not just MP or Officer), if you are open to sacrifice for training and full-time employment to better your family, then NavRes might be an option for you. If you want to remain mostly part-time, 24 days a years on average, or one day a week that is part of the Naval Reserve as well. Once your initial training is completed as well.

Kratz,

I really do prefer full time work to be honest. Just 25 days a year would be disappointing. I want to be much more involved then that.  I am open to other trades though, however I prefer MP but will keep an open mind. I will also be open to NCM now that I understand better. :)  I think that being away at sea and training of course will be hard for me, but it is a chance for the children's dad to take a more active role as well as he is a good father and supportive.  I am going to do some more research, read through the posts and come back with more question I am sure. I will also contact the office first!

Thanks for the info about travel expenses!!!!! Good to know! I do not live in the valley, although am from there, I live in halifax but I have no problem moving to the valley at all. 

At least now I feel I have something to go on in finding more info!!! 
Thanks again! :) lol I am sure ill be back.

I joined the reserves at 33 as a single parent of one child, mother not involved at all.  It's entirely doable, and well worth the extra challenges of arranging child care during courses and all that.  Over the years I missed a few courses and training opportunities because of some of the constraints of single parenting, and it took a bit longer than usual to get the career courses I needed but ultimately when things lined up and I had child care covered I was able to get the courses I needed.  The military has been very good to me and almost a dozen years later I'm still in and still love it. I think there has been a lot of very sage advice passed on in this thread.  My own experience has been that as long as you are motivated and demonstrate a can-do attitude towards the job, the military will be very supportive in return.  Good luck with it!

Hunter,
Thank you so much!!! It really is good to hear from someone who made it work!!!
So refreshing! It's a big worry for me!!!! To hear from someone who made it work is really great if you don't mind I will probably send you a private message :)

Hypothetical scenario/Question, would a single parent be able to enrol in the CAF? If so are they provided some kind of assistance for child care while they are on course?

What about for a service with children, can a spouse be sent to BMQ while her husband (or vice versa) is on a career course?

Just curious if anyone ever navigated that problem. Or if any assistance is provided.

Thanks!

Downhiller229 said:
Hypothetical scenario/Question, would a single parent be able to enrol in the CAF?

Single Parents in CF (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/50191.0;nowap
6 pages.

THE MILITARY AND YOUR FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/66468.0.html
2 pages.

Downhiller229 said:
If so are they provided some kind of assistance for child care while they are on course?

Child Care - Before, During and After Basic- Merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/46873.0

Downhiller229 said:
What about for a service with children, can a spouse be sent to BMQ while her husband (or vice versa) is on a career course?

Service couples
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+single+parent&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=2hgpWIOACMGC8QfRx4PgAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+service+couples

etc...

Sorry, I forgot it was a mortal sin on this site to not explicitly state that you had searched the site for information. I did, didn't find much more then you provided (although I do enjoy the Google function I learned how to use tonight).

Most of those threads are dated and don't really answer my questions other then "yes, people have been military as single parents" I was just wondering if there was any recent experience in the matter. Again it's mostly hypothetical.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though!

DownHiller229 I would not take MarioMike doing this as an attack. I take it more as a reminder and he just enjoys it or likes helping ;)

AbdullahD said:
DownHiller229 I would not take MarioMike doing this as an attack. I take it more as a reminder and he just enjoys it or likes helping ;)

Thanks, Abdullah.

Proverb. No good deed goes unpunished. Beneficial actions often go unappreciated or are met with outright hostility. If they are appreciated, they often lead to additional requests.

:)

I thought I replied a few minutes ago, apparently not.

I didn't mean to be snarky or sarcastic just got lost in translation maybe! Thanks for your help and I'll peruse a bit more to see if I can gather information to refine my questions (if I still have some)

Cheers

I am just wondering if any full time single parents have any tips/suggestions on successfully making it through your BMQ and job training. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emily92 said:
I am just wondering if any full time single parents have any tips/suggestions on successfully making it through your BMQ and job training. 
My advice?  Don't do it.

Yes, I'm a single parent (full time), and just being a way for a week at a time with my teen daughter under someone else's care is enough to give me the heebie jeebies.

Technoviking said:
My advice?  Don't do it.

Yes, I'm a single parent (full time), and just being a way for a week at a time with my teen daughter under someone else's care is enough to give me the heebie jeebies.

It's not a matter of doing or not. I have my mind made up doing it just need tips /tricks to get through!  [emoji173]

Emily92 said:
It's not a matter of doing or not. I have my mind made up doing it just need tips /tricks to get through!  [emoji173]

I gave you my advice. There are no tricks. Either find a spouse to watch over your kids, or stay home and be a parent. That is my advice. Take it or leave it.

Back