• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF in AFG 2014: Countdown to the end

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the CF/DND Info-machine:
Today marks the beginning of the last 100 days of the Canadian military mission in Afghanistan.  After more than 12 years, the largest deployment of Canadian Armed Forces personnel since the Second World War will draw to a close on March 31, 2014.

“Canadians should be proud of their tremendous contributions in Afghanistan,” said the Hon. Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence. “In support of the Afghan government, our whole-of-government partners, and our international allies, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces are making a difference in the lives of the Afghan people while contributing to international peace and security.”

“Canadian Armed Forces members will leave Afghanistan confident that they helped Afghans to reclaim their country from terrorism, and helped them to provide for their own security,” said General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff. “The last chapter of our mission in Afghanistan is not yet written, and it will not be for us to write. That task will fall to the Afghans themselves. We will look back on our contributions and achievements with pride – hard earned and dearly paid. We will hold our heads high.” ....
More at link

To those over there, Merry Christmas, and may you all come home safe and sound.  :christmas happy:

Latest Edmonton-based soldiers return after months in war-weary Afghanistan
Nicole Bergot, Edmonton Sun
20 January 2014

A group of Edmonton-based soldiers landed back on home soil Monday night after months in war-weary Afghanistan, where a weekend terrorist attack at a Kabul restaurant killed 21, including two Canadians.

The local troops are part of 143 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) personnel this week heading to their home bases in Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario after the latest deployment to Afghanistan.

"The soldiers are always happy to come home – it's important that when we go somewhere and what we're doing is important – but to be honest nothing is more important than family," said Col. Dave Anderson, the commander of one of the mechanized brigade group in Afghanistan.

Captain Sebastian Boiteau has spent the past seven months in Afghanistan working as a contracting officer, supporting the military task force by helping set up close to 50 contracts with vehicle and forklift suppliers in the area.

Boiteau admits the working schedule in Afghanistan was hectic and looks forward to taking some time to recharge and relax.

"It's going to be great to see family and friends, but I've also planned some vacation time down south in Jamaica," said Boiteau.

About 100 Canadian soldiers will be left in the Kabul region by the end of this month, with all troops set to be home by the end of March. Canadian soldiers were some of the first troops on the ground in Afghanistan in October 2001, after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.

Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson was also on hand at the Edmonton Shell Aerocentre to help greet the disembarking soldiers.

"Edmonton is a military city – and I wanted make sure that I had the chance to personally welcome home some of our service women and men," said Iveson. "It's great to see this conflict coming to a close – I know it's created a lot of disruption fro many families in Edmonton and in the region whose loved ones have served over seas."

Soldiers returning this week are some of the last Canadians to serve in Operation ATTENTION, Canada's part in the NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan, delivering training and support to the national security forces there. The forces include the Afghan National Army, the Afghan Air Force, and the Afghan National Police.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/20/latest-edmonton-based-soldiers-to-be-back-monday-night-after-months-in-war-weary-afghanistan

Manitoba Soldiers Return from Afghanistan
CTV Winnipeg
21 January 2014

Winnipeg-based soldiers were welcomed home with open arms Monday after serving several months overseas.

Eleven soldiers stepped off a military plane from Trenton, Ontario onto the tarmac at 17 Wing Winnipeg. They were returning from a training mission to Afghanistan.

Inside, they were greeted by family, friends and fellow soldiers.

Major Ryan Stimpson has done three Afghan tours since 2006 and said he has noticed a lot of changes in the country over the years.

“I think they are set up for success now,” said Stimpson. “When we leave, it will be set up for success. What they do with that after we depart, it’s up to them at this point.”

The soldiers who returned are part of Operation Attention, Canada’s final tour to Afghanistan to train the country’s army and police. The remaining Canadian military will withdraw in March.
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-soldiers-return-home-from-afghanistan-1.1648809

… and more: http://www.intelligencer.ca/2014/01/20/troops-return-home
http://globalnews.ca/news/1095856/canadian-soldiers-return-to-17-wing/

Welcome Home.  I'll be glad when you're all back home safe.

[Alberta] Provincial flags to be lowered in March to mark end of Afghan mission
Edmonton Journal
16 February 2014

Provincial flags will be lowered to half-mast next month to commemorate the end of Canada’s 12-year military mission in Afghanistan.

On the morning of March 12, flags will be lowered at all provincial buildings to commemorate the lowering of the Canadian flag in Kabul. Schools and municipalities are requested to do the same, Leanne Niblock, spokeswoman for the Department of Education, said in a news release.

At noon that day, flags will be raised to full height to acknowledge the end of the mission and the successful return of the last Canadian troops.

“Today’s graduating class was in kindergarten when Albertans first left on this mission, and March 12 gives us a rare opportunity for students to watch history unfold in their classrooms while exploring ideas about leadership, community, sacrifice, citizenship and ethics,” said Education Minister Jeff Johnson, who is also the ministerial liaison to the Canadian Forces.

The federal government will be streaming a video of the flag ceremony in Kabul on its website.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Provincial+flags+lowered+March+mark+Afghan+mission/9514525/story.html

Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan is getting ready to pack things up and end the Canadian military presence in the battle-scarred country.

Maj.-Gen. Dean Milner says when Canadians lower the flag next week and pack up their gear, they'll leave behind an Afghanistan that's "absolutely, completely different" than when Canadian soldiers first arrived in 2001.

"Canadians significantly contributed to the security that's now here in the country," Milner said Friday in a phone interview from the Afghan capital, Kabul. "We've got children back in school - close to eight million children in school."

Milner says there are less than 100 Canadian military personnel in Afghanistan still training Afghan forces to fight the Taliban ....
Toronto Sun, 7 Mar 14

That "eight million children in school" part really got me. I am wondering how many (more than ever?) are girls.

djs0572171844_high.jpg

The Canadian Army hauls down the flag in Afghanistan for the last time in Kabul on Wednesday March 12, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Murray Brewster​

The Canadian army has hauled down the flag in Afghanistan.

An understated ceremony, held under sunny skies and heavy guard, at NATO headquarters in Kabul brought to an end just over a dozen years of military involvement in the war-wasted nation.

Dignitaries — Canadian and allied alike — praised the country's involvement and sacrifices.

"Your strength has protected the weak; your bravery has brought hope to hopeless; and the helping hand you have extended to the Afghan people has given them faith that a better future is within their grasp," Deborah Lyons, the Canadian ambassador to Afghanistan told an assembly of the last 100 soldiers who served on a three year training mission.

The war cost the lives of 158 soldiers, one diplomat, one journalist and two civilian contractors.

"We can wish that the families of the fallen do not lament their fate, but we know that this is not the case. The only small comfort comes from the knowledge that the sacrifices of lost loved ones has been worthwhile, that they made a difference, and that their grief is shared by a grateful nation.

"It is said that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing. You actions and those of your fallen colleagues have stopped the triumph of evil." ....
The Canadian Press, 12 Mar 14

FAL said:
That "eight million children in school" part really got me. I am wondering how many (more than ever?) are girls.

I don't wonder how many are girls.  I wonder how long after we leave will it take for all the schools to disappear.  Historically, the schools have been dismantled minutes before the last vehicle has left town.  We have seen it in Eretria, Rwanda, Somalia, and many other locations around the world where we have sent CAF members who have spent resources to build schools and other improvements for the locals.  It will not take long for the same to happen in Afghanistan.  It takes generations to affect long lasting change.  Afghanistan will revert back to its barbaric ways soon after all international troops and support leave.  All the progressive Afghans who existed in the 1970's or earlier, have long gone. 

The barbarism is not innate nor is it 'normal' for Afghanistan or Somalia or anywhere else, for that matter.

It is an imposed and a cultural artifact.

There are very, very few natural savages, there probably never were. But there are a few and some of them gravitate to high office in some societies: those with only a few, weak liberal cultural values. Some of the highly illiberal 'values,' like treating women and property, in fact like treating any human being as property, are very attractive to some people, often to enough people to make the savages powerful. There is a famous picture showing young Afghan women, about 40 years ago, walking down the street, looking like women in say Beirut or Toronto - no veils, no chadors, just short skirts and 'normal' Western dresses.  Someone pointed out that the change isn't religious, it is all about a change in cultural values. Forty years ago the people in Afghanistan were, broadly and generally, pro-Western; they admired the West; they wanted to be more and more like us. Then the 'leadership' changed and the new leaders imposed new 'values' ... and chadors.

I disagree with that statement E.R Campbell. Humans are naturally barbaric, good society and orderly civilization are the imposed and cultural artifacts. Lets not forget it took thousands of years for western society to value life and rights the way we do now. Its up to the people of any nation to step up and join the 1st world.

Infantryman2b said:
Humans are naturally barbaric, good society and orderly civilization are the imposed and cultural artifacts. Lets not forget it took thousands of years for western society to value life and rights the way we do now. Its up to the people of any nation to step up and join the 1st world.
True, but if you're trying to solve a problem, you have to know which problem you're trying to solve.  As some have pointed out in such cases, is it a religious issue or a cultural issue?

Bumped with this from the PM's Info-machine:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement to mark the lowering of the Canadian Flag by the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan:

“Today, the Canadian Flag was lowered at NATO’s International Security Assistance Force headquarters in Kabul for the last time. Since 2001, Canada has deployed its largest military contingent in generations to the region, and now our mission in Afghanistan draws to a close.

“The end of the military mission and the lowering of the flag is a significant milestone in the fight against global terror. Over 40,000 Canadian Armed Forces members have fought to defeat the threat of terrorism and to ensure the freedom of others, to build a stronger, safer world. In the course of this fight, many have paid the ultimate price.

“Their courage and dedication has brought much pride to our country. I look forward to personally welcoming home the last contingent of Canada’s brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces when they return home on the final flight from Afghanistan on March 18. I also look forward at that time to announcing details of Canada’s plans to formally commemorate the mission in Afghanistan. Canada will continue to play an important role in supporting efforts that contribute to building a better future for all Afghans.”

I would like to add my appreciation for the commitment and sacrifice made by Canada and her armed forces to the Global War on Terror. :salute:

Viewing the troops return on CBC this morning, it was nice to see more-or-less respectful coverage of the event. Wish I could say the same about CTV's reporter Bubbles Whats-her-names' grilling of General Milner, though. Even my decidedly non-military spouse had a few choice words about the propriety of asking the usual "Was it worth it?" questions at this event...

Great interview with Sgt Tim M., even if his boys seemed to be unwilling participants! Can't believe it's been 14 years since ROTO 0 in Kandahar...

tomahawk6 said:
I would like to add my appreciation for the commitment and sacrifice continuing to be made by Canada and her armed forces to the Global War on Terror. :salute:

FTFY.

Afghanistan may be done, but our military continues to provide contributions around the world.

Rider Pride said:
FTFY.

Afghanistan may be done, but our military continues to provide contributions around the world.

I don't think my comment requires an amendment.I am appreciative for Canada's contribution and sacrifice in the GWOT.While OEF is winding down, the GWOT is a continuing effort.

Rider Pride said:
FTFY.

Lets not forget there are still Canadians serving in exchange positions in Afghanistan.  BGen Erye who is on exchange with XVIII Abn Corps took over from Mgen Milner as the Comd NTM-A and just started his year long deployment and there are several MPEPs deployed into RC(E) with 10th MTN.  These are just the positions I know of.  I am sure there are others be it pilots or engineers with the Brits or dudes with the ADF. 

Nothing sucks more than totally being forgotten while deployed.

little jim said:
Lets not forget there are still Canadians serving in exchange positions in Afghanistan.  BGen Erye who is on exchange with XVIII Abn Corps took over from Mgen Milner as the Comd NTM-A and just started his year long deployment and there are several MPEPs deployed into RC(E) with 10th MTN.  These are just the positions I know of.  I am sure there are others be it pilots or engineers with the Brits or dudes with the ADF. 

You've got that right.

little jim said:
Au contraire.  I was one of four Canadians in UNFICYP after the Canadian Bn had been withdrawn.  I gruelling year of rugby, Guinness, sun-tanning....and NO Staff Annoyance Visits.
It was awesome.

And where I was in Afghanistan wasn't on the NDHQ tourism itinerary. 
That was awesome too.
      :nod:

Back