• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - superthread [MERGED]

J

JDG

I‘ll be going away to BOTP in about a week. I‘m getting to the point where I need a haircut, but if they automatically cut your hair out there for free anyway, I‘m just going to wait.

Kind of a frivolous question, but inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.

As a reservist they expect you to get one on your own time and money. Which I get for something like every Tuesday and that, but it‘s the same even when your at a base and on course. FYI the barber( female :rolleyes: ) is the only place to get your hair cut in Gagetown and she charges $8 , ( even if its just tappering the sides ).

Yes. You will get a haircut unless you are already at the equivalent of a "zero" haircut. And you pay for it, so you might as well wait.

I‘ve been shaving my head with the 1/8" guard every couple weeks for about the last 5 years. I‘ve been more than happy to not have to pay for haircuts, ever.

Will they let me bring my clippers to basic training? Also, is a "zero haircut" just a shave with no guard? If you showed up with your head already shaved to basic training, would they single you out for being a smarta$$? Or would they just simply ignore it and not mention it?

Also, is a "zero haircut" just a shave with no guard? If you showed up with your head already shaved to basic training, would they single you out for being a smarta$$? Or would they just simply ignore it and not mention it?
Great question, and one I‘ve been meaning to ask... I‘ve been shaving my head for almost 8 yrs now... I can‘t remember the last time I had hair enough I needed shampoo... Should I let it grow and stick with a brush cut? Will I even have time to shave my head at/during basic?

On the SQ I was on this summer, a guy had a pair of clippers which we used to shave our head. We were then told by the higher-ups that apparently its against the rules to cut your own hair or have someone other then a professional to do it. SO you can, but be careful eh.

If you are talking about the Regs in St Jean, you will not be allowed to cut your own hair or the hair of others on course.

I was told that cutting your own hair is a chargeable offence. Don‘t ask me to quote the specific QR&O, if indeed this is true.

I am also leaving for BOTP in about a week and a half. I have be clipping my own hair using a #2 comb for the past 2 years or so -- any monkey can do it (I am proof-positive). I would think, however, that the rule is in place to prevent Bloggins from taking a pair of scissors to his hair to save $10.

I‘ll cut it right before I leave, but while on course I think it would be prudent to leave it to the base barber.

You are now allowed to shave your head. If you show up with a shaved head, you should be allowed to keep it. You are not allowed to shave it every few days, though. It must be billiard ball clean every morning...and this will take several of your precious minutes to perform. Been awhile since I had to worry about basic, but I would imagine mornings are a little "busy"... :)

I don‘t know much about the army but me and a couple friends are interested in finding some things out in a hopeful possibility that we might join one day. I was really curious as to whether they allow girls as infantry soldiers? and if so do they have to cut their hair? and how short?

As a reserve soldier, you end up having to pay for a haircut yourself. ON my courses we actually had a MBdr wife come in and do it for us for $5. She was supposed to be a hair stylist, but she was hardly a stylist. :D

Clippers are not allowed and are a chargeable offence. Cutting you hair must be done by a professional. Thats just the way it is. Go ahead and take them and cut everyones hair, just don‘t get caught.

Shaving your head until there is absolutly no hair left is not allowed either and is another chargeable offence if you get sunburnt. You can buzz it down without a guard on, but don‘t take a razor to your head, thats all.

Its easier to show up already buzzed off. Then you don‘t have to worry abiout getting it done when the course starts. Thats how I see it anyway.

Girls can be infantry soldiers. They do not have to cut their hair. It just has to be in a bun. There were actually 2 or 3 girls who shaved their heads on my BMQ and the instructors wanted to charge them for it aparrently. Not too sure why, but I guess someone wasn‘t happy.

Not sure of the QR&O but cutting of someone elses hair and not being a professional, is a chargeable offence for hygeine reasons.
I did know a few guys in RV85 who were qualified to cut other peoples‘ hair,not sure if they were civy qual or if they had taken a mil course.

Tc...
VVV

Girls are allowed to serve in the infantry. Hair must be kept above the collar, but you can have it as long as you want as long as you can pin it up and keep it under your hat (literally).

Just buzzing your hair isn‘t good enough. It has to be tapered. They‘re strict about that.

Hello,
could anyone tell me what the regulations on dying your hair in the Army Reserve? I‘ve looked through the CF Dress and Deportment guide and the only thing I can find that comes close is: "Hair should be kept and styled as to not interfer with the wearing of a headress". Other than, its all regs on lengths, etc.
Thanks

In my unit I was told that if you coudl find the colour in nature on a human‘s head then you coudl dye that colour. If you couldn‘t find it then you couldn‘t dye that colour.

I‘m not sure what the dress regs state exactly, but it does need to be a colour that occurs in nature. I once had to jack a female recruit who showed up with pink hair; her Sergeant wasn‘t too impressed with that one!

Ref: A-AD-265-000, Chap 2, sect 2 (CF dress regs)
"Unusual colours, such as green, bright red, orange, purple etc... are not permitted"

But things like highlighting, streaking, and dying it say - blonde, are OK? The reason I ask, is that there are 3 of us at our unit; two guys with streaked hair, and myself - top dyed blonde, who were told that we would have to talk to the CSM about it. The thing is; all of our dyed hair is not visible with headress on anyways. Not to mention - last year I saw some NCO‘s running around with dyed hair....

A new private in my unit came in with the top of his hair dyed blonde

He had to either wash it out, or shave it off

Back