• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF green dress shirts & cufflinks

BDTyre

Reaction score
I just noticed that Logistik Unicorp has a little note under the listing for the long sleeve shirt that future production runs will include an extra button hole for cufflinks. Did I miss something? Are cufflinks authorized for wear in DEUs?

I see the same note attached to the long sleeve white shirts. Mmmmmm... very curious. Watch and shoot I suppose.

Good to know. One of my co-workers is an air cadet instructor, so I'll see if it's the same case for the blue shirts (I would assume it is at this point).

I have a friend who likes cuff links, and has been slightly rebellious and has been wearing cuff links with DEU for a while now. He bought a few Royal Navy shirts, but I suppose he could have modifed RCN white shirts through a civilian tailor.

As to the rules? Most people rarely wear DEU anyway, and when they do wear DEU with the long sleeves they tend to be under a tunic or a sweater anyway. People will likely be able to wear their own cufflinks, so long as they aren't massively professionally gaudy -- basically the same rules as wrist watches.

daftandbarmy said:
Excellent. We need more dandyish and affectations in the CAF.

Bring back the Sam Browne belt, puttees, aluminium mess tins, Ross Rifle, old style raingear that lets water in and keeps it in, the Iltis...

Ostrozac said:
People will likely be able to wear their own cufflinks, so long as they aren't massively professionally gaudy

Easier to hide though.  I eagerly await the first person to wear Francis Underwood ones  >:D

dapaterson said:
Bring back the Sam Browne belt, puttees, aluminium mess tins, Ross Rifle, old style raingear that lets water in and keeps it in, the Iltis...

I agree with the Sam Browne belt, that always looked great.  Bring back the Iltis, fun thing to drive however, that old style rain gear can stay lost....I hated that piece of useless kit more than the puttess!

Mike63 said:
I agree with the Sam Browne belt, that always looked great. 

I'm guessing that you've never had to highly polish one.... an activity that should be introduced as an activity to break down the resistance of POWs prior to interrogation.

daftandbarmy said:
I'm guessing that you've never had to highly polish one.... an activity that should be introduced as an activity to break down the resistance of POWs prior to interrogation.

LoL...no I've never even wore one, I'm just saying that they looked good.  When I was in the Army Cadets in the 70's, only the two CSM's and the RSM work the Sam Browne, except they were black, don't know why that was.  I did have the old web belt with the brass buckles though...they were a pain to keep shiny!

The Clothing and Dress Committee has recently approved the wear of cufflinks with long-sleeved shirts in No 1 and 3 orders of dress (they were always approved in No 2 orders).  I think it's great that Logistik has taken on the task of putting the extra button holes on the cuffs as it saves me the effort of doing it myself (which I've been doing for years).  It's worth noting though that wearing cufflinks is not mandatory.  The shirts still include buttons on the cuff, so the choice remains with the member.

Tangential rant:  There is no such order of dress called, "DEU."  "DEU" is/was a project name meaning, "Distinctive Environmental Uniform," and it refers to all uniforms deemed to be distinctly environmental, including mess dress.  In other words, all No 1, 2 and 3 orders of dress are "DEU."  When dress is promulgated, it should be in the form of "1," "1A," "2B," "3D," etc.  To tell folks to wear, "DEU," is actually quite meaningless as there are many forms (e.g. jacket and tie with/without medals, mess dress, short sleeve shirts, etc.).  If only there was a book that described all of this...

Just took a look at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-265/dhh_dress_instr_adh265000_ag001-19Sep16-eng.pdf and did a search of Cuff Link and did not find any instruction for wear for anything outside of mess dress. That being said I know that the instruction will be coming out.

I like shiny things and all but I'm not sure what I think about this.

Pusser said:
The Clothing and Dress Committee has recently approved the wear of cufflinks with long-sleeved shirts in No 1 and 3 orders of dress (they were always approved in No 2 orders). 

Do you have a link for this? I just looked at the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee minutes that are online from 2 Dec 16 (the most recent one online) to 30 Sep 11 at http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/honours-history/publications-history/national-defence-clothing-dress-committee.page and could not find any reference to this.

CanadianTire said:
Good to know. One of my co-workers is an air cadet instructor, so I'll see if it's the same case for the blue shirts (I would assume it is at this point).

:nod:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 466
Big Spoon said:
Just took a look at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-265/dhh_dress_instr_adh265000_ag001-19Sep16-eng.pdf and did a search of Cuff Link and did not find any instruction for wear for anything outside of mess dress. That being said I know that the instruction will be coming out.

I like shiny things and all but I'm not sure what I think about this.

This is one of the least offensive and expensive things yet. You can wear them or not, just like a tie bar... bring on the cuff links, or not!

WeatherdoG, if you are who I think you are (by looking at your profile) then you well know that I love shiny objects, I'm not sure I'll be taking part in this one.

dangerboy said:
Do you have a link for this? I just looked at the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee minutes that are online from 2 Dec 16 (the most recent one online) to 30 Sep 11 at http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/honours-history/publications-history/national-defence-clothing-dress-committee.page and could not find any reference to this.

Those are indeed the correct set of minutes.  Perhaps it's just not obvious as that is not the heading of the paragraph where it is mentioned.

Para 11 refers:

11.  Changes to Long and Short Sleeve Shirt Material

RCAF brought forward concerns with changes to the standard of the material being used in our shirts. DSSPM confirmed that the material has been looked at by the Tech Authority and it has been deemed to fall within the specifications of the contract. DSSPM will conduct “hand-tests” across all three elements and report back to NDCDC. Buttonholes for French cuffs as previously approved will be added to LS Shirts; policy for cuffs will be promulgated in the near future by environments, and added to the Dress Manual.
Item: Open

Of course, they got the type of cuff wrong.  All they're doing is putting a button hole on the other side of the cuff, turning it into a "convertible cuff" (i.e. one that can be closed with either a button or a cufflink), but it is still a single cuff.  A "French cuff" is a double cuff (i.e. one that is double in length and turned back on itself - considered more formal), which is not what we're getting. 

Pusser said:
which is not what we're getting.

Oh, that is actually good to hear.  I can't imagine ever wearing cufflinks on my LS shirt but...it might actually look sweet with my Austin Power boots and Yukon hat!  ;D

I think I'll get a set of these, and get a picture of the Sqn boss and SCWO put in each one. 

31JCwxCGKtL._SX355_.jpg

There are some sellers on eBay offering a pair of compasses set in cufflinks - perfect for the ACSO in your life...

Back