• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

Hi I've read several threads on the basic para courses, but are all from 4-7 years ago.
And I wanted to know the 'Non-Physical' requirements of eligibility to apply.
I realize I'm way ahead of my game to even be asking this question, but I'm just curious because I've always had a keen interest in parachuting in general.

1. How likely is it for a PRes ACISS (32 Sig Reg - Toronto) to be coursed for the Basic Para? Is it even offered at all?
2. Do you need to be a FULLY trained member? Certain amount of years in the forces to apply?

This last question may be a repeated question, but the answers may or may not be outdated..

I recognize that this course is pretty darn competitive to get into, with only a handful of applicants being selected nationally, but how competitive are my numbers to get into the course with?

Minimum
7 Chin-ups - Consecutive
31 Sit-ups - Consecutive
1-mile run - 7min 30s or less
600m indoor shuttle run - 2min 30s or less (haven't tested myself on this yet)

My PB
12 Chin-ups consec
68 Sit-ups  consec
6min 37sec 1-mil run

You meet the fitness standard (the indoor run is in lieu of a 1 mile run).  You are unlikely to get the course as a PRes ACISS, but it never hurts to ask.  Regular force signalers routinely get spots on every serial as they may be posted to a Light Battalion and may be put in a jump position.  Divisions will sometimes give spots on BPara serials to Reserve Brigades.

Being based in Toronto, your odds (while still not great), are probably higher than members based elsewhere in the country. The Queens Own has a basic para every year, and spots do become available. The number of spots, and where they are allocated, and how you merit is still a giant crap shoot, but it's not totally impossible (and yet still a long shot).

I don't have access to my DWAN currently, can someone provide course dates for Basic Para this summer(FY2018)? If there is a serial that begins in August could you provide the course code too? Thanks so much.

I am looking for a link to when the courses are running also. I checked CAAWC website and couldn't find anything. Any information would help. DWAN or internet access works.

Redhead8989 said:
I am looking for a link to when the courses are running also. I checked CAAWC website and couldn't find anything. Any information would help. DWAN or internet access works.

Army National Course Calendar off the CTC Gagetown DWAN site will have all of those courses. You're also going to be hard pressed to get a slot on BPara while working at 12 Wing Shearwater, even if you're Army DEU. The slots are highly competitive and assigned per Division (you can see these numbers when you click on the specific serial on the Calendar).

Back