• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

Cool,

Thanks for the response BearW. I guess its pretty much impossible to prepare for course content but a little insight is always nice.

I don't know how relevant this is, but BearW did mention underclothing. Back in the bad, old days when I did my course (1968), I bought a jockstrap to protect my privates from the ravages of the Flight Trainer. This device is a parachute harness in which you get to hang around in for at least a couple of periods a day practicing in flight procedures. It is very uncomfortable because the harness is worn and te straps between your legs take up all your weight - its nickname way back then was the Nutcracker Suite - and anything you can do for protection is well worth it.

Somebody tell me the modern Canadian army has discarded that device and replaced it with Power Point presentations.

Old Sweat said:
It is very uncomfortable because the harness is worn and te straps between your legs take up all your weight - its nickname way back then was the Nutcracker Suite -

Though I can't yet relate, I lol'd.

Spectrum said:
They are letting gingers do basic para now?!

;)

Apparently. It was night when I did the PT test though so I suspect when I show up at Trenton in daylight they'll promptly send me home.  :nod:

And rightfully so.  ;D

Nah I'm sure you will do fine on the course...just try not to hurt yourself or you might end up chairborne.  ;)

Good luck.

BearW said:
I don't have a course message cut yet, but i'm on the JM thats running along side it at the same time-

PT's not hard.. it's to keep you loose in the AM before work and after a long day in the racks. I may vary from course staff to staff though, as usual.

Week one and two are all ground school, practicing putting on your kit properly, rigging it and whatnot. How to land so you don't hurt yourself and all the drills associated with it and some Mock Tower stuff. The course hasn't change much since the dawn of time and they still use all the old trg aids-which i thought was a real blast from the past.

I'd buy a pair of good shoes-if you don't already have them, good insoles for your cbt boots, a roll of medical tape for your pinkys on flight room training, Compression shorts or cyclist shorts instead of underwear on flight training aswell. Lastly, a party pack of ibuprofen and you should be set man. It's not hard if you show up fit and in the right mindset-like every other course in the army, right?

Any more questions you can PM me bro

Bear

Bear summed it up nicely.

Well if you have Sgt. Airborne i would warn you, his flight training class is straight cock with him and his microphone. Other wise this course is a breeze unless you're afraid of heights, i found most ppl had trouble going through the Mock tower just not doing it right. elbows tucked in, counting out loud etc. I think the hardest part on this course is... Selecting which meal you're going to have at the beautiful Trenton mess.

Flips13 said:
Selecting which meal you're going to have at the beautiful Trenton mess.

I found the food there quite delicious when I went with Cadets  ;D

Heh this course is probably #2 on my list of courses I'd like to take. I hope you enjoy it!

Canadian Forces Parachute Training

This is very good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7oqJJacMEs&feature=related

I'm in this video, that day was funny because we had to do log PT and put on a big show for them. ''what daily life as a paratrooper is'' when in fact we barely did any log pt. Good times jumping though, not so much when the winds are real high but they don't want to ground you so they say winds zero anyways.

Thanks for posting the video good memories.

Flips13 said:
I'm in this video, that day was funny because we had to do log PT and put on a big show for them. ''what daily life as a paratrooper is'' when in fact we barely did any log pt. Good times jumping though, not so much when the winds are real high but they don't want to ground you so they say winds zero anyways.

Thanks for posting the video good memories.

Do they still use razor wire for those flight trainer crotch straps? Shudder.....

I'm wondering if there is some sort of bridge program from a civilian jump course to the military one? Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Didn't find anything on the search function.

Thanks.

Lone_Wolf said:
I'm wondering if there is some sort of bridge program from a civilian jump course to the military one?
Not for the basic parachutist qualification; everyone has to do the three fun-filled weeks.

If trying out for the Skyhawks, amongst the other prerequisites, you need to be Military Freefall qualified and/or hold a CSPA "A" licence with a minimum of 50 freefall jumps. Basic Para qualification is not required.

So if one were wanting to get his wings; one MUST take the 3-week course? No other alternative route?

Thanks again.

Journeyman said:
Not for the basic parachutist qualification; everyone has to do the three fun-filled weeks.

If trying out for the Skyhawks, amongst the other prerequisites, you need to be Military Freefall qualified and/or hold a CSPA "A" licence with a minimum of 50 freefall jumps. Basic Para qualification is not required.

Not sure if you're in the know or not, but what about CReW? Nearly every video of the Skyhawks I have seen involves the members doing CReW. Is it a requirement, something they teach, or is it something only some of the Skyhawks do?

Lone_Wolf said:
So if one were wanting to get his wings; one MUST take the 3-week course? No other alternative route?
OK, let's not take one another the wrong way -- if your overarching concern is to have Canadian jump wings on your DEU.....

a) do Basic Para;
b) join a foreign military and do a 'jump bivouac' with Canadian paratroops, earning your foreign (ie Canadian) wings;
c) successfully compete for the Skyhawks -- yes, it's a "designated parachutist position" and as such, you'll get the wings

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
Not sure if you're in the know or not, but what about CReW? Nearly every video of the Skyhawks I have seen involves the members doing CReW. Is it a requirement, something they teach, or is it something only some of the Skyhawks do?
I'm somewhat in the know. Some jumpers are better at CREW (ie - CREW: Canopy Relative Work) than others.

During the selection camp, the various 'air show' routines will be sorted out. If you happen to have a knack for freefalling individually with a smoke on your ankle...that's your load-station; if you're OK locking legs and spiralling with another jumper (CREW) that's likely where you end up

Back