• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF 4 x 4 Vehicles In Winter Warfare Should be Equipped With Track N Go System?

Chispa

Inactive
Reaction score
This is the first wheel driven track system. Designed to mount on most 4 x 4 vehicles, the Track N Go system installs in less than 15 minutes while keeping the tires on and without any modifications to the vehicle. Being mounted directly on the tire, the rides feels a lot smoother and less effort from the power steering is required compared to conventional track systems with fixed installation.........................

http://www.droold.com/track-n-go-wheel-driven-track-system/

Watch on U-tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpKjEa4LYY

C.U.

Eh, it's nice for cross country and all, civvy side for sure...but I've only ever seen them on small-medium trucks, I don't imagine they have anything that'd fit an MLVW or bigger.

Looks like they'd be fun to bomb around on with a MilCOTS or something. But at $25k a pop, not sure how practical they'd be.

Lerch said:
Eh, it's nice for cross country and all, civvy side for sure...but I've only ever seen them on small-medium trucks, I don't imagine they have anything that'd fit an MLVW or bigger.

It is only a problem of scale.  I am sure a larger scale device is not that difficult to produce, if the demand is there. 

Brihard said:
Looks like they'd be fun to bomb around on with a MilCOTS or something. But at $25k a pop, not sure how practical they'd be.

Mass production does have a tendency to reduce costs and sale prices. 

I don't really see how useful these would be. The only things they will fit on are LSVWs, milcots and G-rides. Even a scaled up version would be incompatible with our heavier vehicles as the rear axles are much to close.

I'm not even sure I would like to use these on a G-wagon. They look like they add a lot of ride height to the vehicle they are added to. If there is one thing the LUVW don't need need it is to be any taller.

The only time these would be beneficial is when driving an LSVW/milcot, in deep snow when there is no ability to SNIC. Sure, there will be times that happens, but not often enough to justify the cost of these. Honestly, for the price of each set of the add-ons I would rather just get two sleds with trailers. I think that would be a better use of resources and provide much more mobility. A sled can go a lot of places a larger vehicle can't and is pretty easily air transportable in case you need to provide mobility to an are far away from infrastructure/cut off be snow.

True, not practical; $25.usf + exchange, import fees, quite expensive for military use, considering the system once removed needs transport, etc.,. I C a purpose for emergence response on small size 4x4 vehicles, now spending that amount for something that will only be used a few times, hum. We tend too state, justifies the cost if it saves one life.

C.U.

Ludoc said:
I don't really see how useful these would be. The only things they will fit on are LSVWs, milcots and G-rides. Even a scaled up version would be incompatible with our heavier vehicles as the rear axles are much to close.
In that setting, assuming a vehicle that is large, in demand in both snowy and normal settings, and too specialized/expensive/etc. to duplicate its function on different chassis, something bespoke - perhaps a swappable "half track" module in place of the wheels - might make some sense.

On Rail road tracks U have trucks, etc., that have a system which engages once on the tracks. Track N Go system still has to be transported when not in use and that's my issue. In environments per say like the CDN Rangers that use snowmobiles, all others, large size vehicles most probably would get stuck, seen at VC, Petawawa, etc., Trucks, APC's, LAV's, etc., etc., 

tracked-t8-main-2.jpg

Meanwhile we transport spare tires, tire chains, mine plows and mine rollers for tanks, Minefield clearing equipment for the Engineers, and other large items that are not permanently installed on vehicles.  Some of these "accessorizes" are "seasonal".  It is nothing new to have a piece of kit that is not permanently attached to a vehicle, stored and transported separately, to be installed when needed.

George Wallace said:
Meanwhile we transport spare tires, tire chains, mine plows and mine rollers for tanks, Minefield clearing equipment for the Engineers, and other large items that are not permanently installed on vehicles.  Some of these "accessorizes" are "seasonal".  It is nothing new to have a piece of kit that is not permanently attached to a vehicle, stored and transported separately, to be installed when needed.

Sorry I should've elaborated on transport. True and certainly not new; much more then that is transported, and for that U need support, or a trailer which has wheels hitched to the rear adding weight and in deep snow that could be problematic, wheels. However in combat Op`s when everything is on the fly, I would not recommend standing around for 15 minutes or waiting for a long period to be installed unless your in a secure zone.

Infantry = pack-mules.

Just my thoughts.

C.U.

Back