• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-18 from Bagotville lost a flare dispenser

honestyrules

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm surprised that this is not posted on the site yet...

http://www.tqs.ca/infos/saguenay/2006/03/Danger_d_explosion___un_CF-18_a_perdu_en_plein_vol_un_module_pyrotechnique-3596.html

I don't have the link in english, but it says that a CF-18 from Bagot lost a flare dispenser/launcher yesterday during a flight...

Guess someone will have to fill out a Lost/Stolen Report...

Hope for his sake he's not found to be financially responsible for the loss. Can't imagine a flare launcher would be cheap...

Just imagine kids finding the thing and starting to play with it...
Flares... aren't they white phosporous or something?

delavan said:
Just imagine kids finding the thing and starting to play with it...
Flares... aren't they white phosporous or something?

Between Globalsecurity.org and Wikipedia the most i can find is that they are normally Magnesium. not WP.

perhaps a Zoomie out there could enlighten us?

I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to say here what they are actually made of (for OPSEC reasons), but it is not WP.  We are not trying to do a linear smoke mission when we fire flares  ;D...  we are looking for a slightly different effect.

And now having read the article (read first then post... read first then post...), the aircraft appears to have lost the "bucket" which would contain mutiple flares.  If it's anything like the system on the Sea King, the flares are ejected by explosive squibs.  These squibs are pretty sensitive.  If someone mucks with the bucket, the squibs could fire and give them a face full of burning flare, which would definitely ruin their day, week and month.

Cheers

SeaKingTacco said:
I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to say here what they are actually made of (for OPSEC reasons), but it is not WP. 

That would explain why they wouldnt state what made it burn, other then whatever it was made for a very high temp.

lets hope some kids dont start poking it with sticks then...

cheers

Back