• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF 100 : Leave Pass [Merged]

Eye In The Sky said:
I thought there was one standard form, CF-100.  ???

There is, but it depends on which system you are using.  Monitor Mass, the CF100 ".pdf" version or the MS Word version.

Myself, I have better things to worry about, so always submit my leave passes in the format of "26 Mar 13".  You can't go wrong!!!

If you sent in a Leave Pass (CF 100) and didn't conform to the prescribed format, I don't think I would turn it away.  Besides, I prefer to have things spelled out....

DAA said:
There is, but it depends on which system you are using.  Monitor Mass, the CF100 ".pdf" version or the MS Word version.

Myself, I have better things to worry about, so always submit my leave passes in the format of "26 Mar 13".  You can't go wrong!!!

If you sent in a Leave Pass (CF 100) and didn't conform to the prescribed format, I don't think I would turn it away.  Besides, I prefer to have things spelled out....

agreed, but the war is over and things like this assume vital importance

The next iteration of HRMS should get rid of leave passes entirely - they will be electronic only - fill it out; click on "Send"; your superior will get an email letting them know that Bloggins has requested leave; they'll click on "Approve" and voila!  Your records will be updated; you'll have real-time visibility on your remaining leave...

And somewhere, some unit will order troops to print out screen captures, sign them, and send them up their chain with a round-trip memorandum.

So that's great except that it still requires the member to print off their leave pass at some point if they are using LDA or want to have a copy of their leave pass as part of their records. It will speed up the approval process but it will not defeat the need for a printed leave pass. It will also mean that an OC will receive 100 e-mails whenever block leave comes around. Furthermore, having the leave pass go straight to the approval authority kind of skips the chain of command in place in most units. Det Comd, Section Comd, Plt WO, Plt Comd, OC and SM. Lots of people there that usually want visibility on leave depending on the organization and kind of leave requested.

Great concept in theory but the devil will be in the details of this.

dapaterson said:
The next iteration of HRMS should get rid of leave passes entirely - they will be electronic only - fill it out; click on "Send"; your superior will get an email letting them know that Bloggins has requested leave; they'll click on "Approve" and voila!  Your records will be updated; you'll have real-time visibility on your remaining leave...

And somewhere, some unit will order troops to print out screen captures, sign them, and send them up their chain with a round-trip memorandum.

Are they back in the system? I thought they went the way of the dodo when we stopped using three form carbons.

The Dutch have the same SAP system as us, and they do amazing things with it. Everything is truly paperless, including, god forbid claims.

The electronic leave pass will still need to go through the CoC. Member to supervisor, supervisor to approving authority. Authority presses approved, bingo bango, those down the line are notified.

jeffb said:
So that's great except that it still requires the member to print off their leave pass at some point if they are using LDA or want to have a copy of their leave pass as part of their records. It will speed up the approval process but it will not defeat the need for a printed leave pass. It will also mean that an OC will receive 100 e-mails whenever block leave comes around. Furthermore, having the leave pass go straight to the approval authority kind of skips the chain of command in place in most units. Det Comd, Section Comd, Plt WO, Plt Comd, OC and SM. Lots of people there that usually want visibility on leave depending on the organization and kind of leave requested.

Not hard or as far fetched as you might think.  We already do electronic leave for civilians under our control.  There is no bypassing of CoC.  My Sect Comds/supervisors see the leave request first and forward it to me with comments usually telling me that there will be no effect on their section and Johnny is gtg.  I am allowed to approve a set amount of lve, dependant on leave type (annual 40 hrs & less, sick uncertified 16 & less etc etc).  Printed leave passes although they don't exist in Oracle wouldn't be hard to do for those times one needs one.  As for a OC getting swamped with emails, that just calls for some prudent delegation of authority to mitigate his email load.  Especially when it is things like block leave when they are just rubber stamping it anyway.

jeffb said:

Better devilish details than the current work-intensive system that's in place, with piles of paper flying around.

Too often we try to protect what we have at the expense of what we need.  I recall one meeting where people we complaining that the proposed solution would only meet 75% of the requirement.  "What do you have now?"  "About 25%."  "And this will give you 75%."  "Yes, all the new stuff will make things easier, but we don't want to lose any of the stuff we have now."

EDIT:
And further to MJP's comment: Why can't authorities be delegated down?  We'll trust a WO with automatic weapons & armoured vehicles worth millions, but god forbid we trust him to approve leave...

dapaterson said:
EDIT:
And further to MJP's comment: Why can't authorities be delegated down?  We'll trust a WO with automatic weapons & armoured vehicles worth millions, but god forbid we trust him to approve leave...

Because the pen is mightier.

dapaterson said:
EDIT:

I can, if the Ops O is on leave.  Our OC has delegated it to the Tp Comds and Ops O (for SHQ).

dapaterson said:
The next iteration of HRMS should get rid of leave passes entirely - they will be electronic only - fill it out; click on "Send"; your superior will get an email letting them know that Bloggins has requested leave; they'll click on "Approve" or "Denied" and voila!  Your records will be updated; you'll have real-time visibility on your remaining leave...

FTFY

jeffb said:

Jeff Have to agree with you there buddy.  The "paperless community" concept is a direct cause of officers inability (I can say this cuz I are one) to issue orders with a map model and FMP, my god if powerpoint is down we can't issue orders (rant over)

I'm kind of 180 degrees away from this and am much more comfortable issue orders off a map with some talc rather then a PowerPoint. Frankly, I hate the damn thing and am sure it is a communist plot to ruin western armies.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

jeffb said:
I'm kind of 180 degrees away from this and am much more comfortable issue orders off a map with some talc rather then a PowerPoint. Frankly, I hate the damn thing and am sure it is a communist plot to ruin western armies.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

So do you have anything to add about a different way to do lve passes, maybe refute mine or Dapa posts with something on topic? 

I am sure there is a I hate powerpoint topic you can post in(for the record I to hate powerpoint orders).

Fair enough, that was off topic.

Actually, after reading your posts and thinking about it some more this actually sounds like a great idea to me. I was unaware that a similar system currently exists for civilian employees and that it is considered, at least by those I spoke to about it today, to be a good thing.

We need to stop saying "We've always done it this way" and start saying "How can we improve this?"

So, for leave: We've identified leave travel assistance as an area that needs to be addressed when moving to electronic leave processing.  Good.  How can we amend our current way of doing things to make it easier?

I recall reading an interview with a former CIO of Google.  "Change happens.  By you.  Or to you.  Your choice."

Far better for the CF to figure out ways to improve how we do things than to sit by and then complain when our 1950s paper-based system gets scrapped as the admin burden that it is.

What about those on CFTPO taskings? I know with MM you can manually change our section/recommending and approving authority...

coldcanuk said:
It has to do with a leave tracking spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet updates a calendar in outlook so specific people can get a visual representation of who is on the ground and when.

There are two main reasons why I am looking for a word version of the CF-100
1.  Rather then fill out the information twice, the user need only shove in their leave request times once.  Using their start and end dates of the leave, I can populate the calendar with their leave times (colour coded for leave projection and leave approved).  Thus, for the user, all they did was fill out a leave pass.  From my side, I can update a calendar, generate a leave pass and update a worksheet.  Also, this gives me other data that I can use should it be necessary (example address while on leave = location in outlook).  Its easier to use everything in the "Office" group of applications as I can pass data to<->from Word/Outlook/Excel  The macros running in the backend would do three things:
a. Populate the outlook calendar
b. Generate a leave pass
c. Update a leave tracking spreadsheet.

2.  It saves on double-up labour and time.  People can send their leave projections and I can manually mark things down.  OR  People can update a spreadsheet and fill out the leave pass. OR I can just automate everything

The workbook that I am working with has about 6 worksheets including a nominal roll - The less human intervention/interaction/meddling, the less chances of errors.

I can get more precise with my explanation, however I would start to be "geeky".  Hopefully my outline gives you a general idea of what I'm tyring to accomplish.

... any idea where I can find a pre-formatted WORD doc of a CF-100 ?  ???
essentially:
extracting data from a PDF = highly annoying (don't even know if its possible in a windows environment)
extracting data from a WORD doc = short, sweet and simple

Use Monitor MASS, it does everything you mentioned plus a lot more, close to 50,000 clients are now using Monitor MASS as their day to application.

STOP.....just stop.

Another post to revive a three year old topic. We DS understand that you are trying to get the word out about MM.

Why don't you start a new one telling everyone every little nuance and detail of the program instead of bringing old ones back from the dead.

The Army.ca Staff

Back